How many of you have your own IP space?

KuJoe

I'm curious how many other forum members have their own IP space, the whole IPv4 exhaustion is getting more and more painful lately as I watch all of the hoarders selling IPs at outrageous prices so I'm curious how everybody else is handling it. For me, widespread IPv6 adoption can't come soon enough.

So how much IP space do you personally have? From what RIR? What do you use it for?

I have 4x /22s of IPv4 and a /36 of IPv6 from ARIN, a 2x /64s and a /48 of IPv6 from HE (Tunnelbroker), and a /48 of IPv6 from one of my data centers. I use them for selling VPSs/VMs and web hosting.

Oh, and I'm really interested to hear if anybody has any Legacy IPv4 space. Now that would be really neat as I've only met one person who does.

-KuJoe

1 minute ago, KuJoe said:

I'm curious how many other forum members have their own IP space, the whole IPv4 exhaustion is getting more and more painful lately as I watch all of the hoarders selling IPs at outrageous prices so I'm curious how everybody else is handling it. For me, widespread IPv6 adoption can't come soon enough.

So how much IP space do you personally have? From what RIR? What do you use it for?

I have 4x /22s of IPv4 and a /36 of IPv6 from ARIN, a 2x /64s and a /48 of IPv6 from HE (Tunnelbroker), and a /48 of IPv6 from one of my data centers. I use them for selling VPSs/VMs and web hosting.

I have a /29 and /27 I think.

My native language is C++

1 minute ago, tt2468 said:

I have a /29 and /27 I think.

No I mean actually owned IP space. An RIR won't give out less than a /24 since that is the smallest subnet you can announce via BGP.

-KuJoe

I work for a few ISPs on the back end and several markets we have a NAT solution deployed to combat the IP space issue. This has caused a few other problems that is usually solved with a static IP reservation for them. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

5 minutes ago, legacy99 said:

I work for a few ISPs on the back end and several markets we have a NAT solution deployed to combat the IP space issue. This has caused a few other problems that is usually solved with a static IP reservation for them. 

I wish my clients would let me utilize NAT. :)

-KuJoe

10 minutes ago, legacy99 said:

A few :P

Had to spend about 2 weeks with Telstra (Australia's largest ISP) working around their NAT vs IPv4 routing for 4G/LTE services. It's a shame they don't deploy IPv6 properly

I personally don't own any. My school actually owns two entire Class B spaces despite only having at most 2500 students (gives an idea of the size).

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

Just now, DeadEyePsycho said:

I personally don't own any. My school actually owns two entire Class B spaces despite only having at most 2500 students.

Yup, this is common and I really wish ARIN would do something about all of the unused space.

-KuJoe

4 hours ago, KuJoe said:

Yup, this is common and I really wish ARIN would do something about all of the unused space.

It was very much mis-managed in the beginning,  They have given up on the idea of reclaiming unused space, and just going to let the market take care of it via reselling of the IP space for profit by the people who got given it with out a good need.  There other answer is that you should adopt IPV6.   All too common for the little campus's to be given a couple of /16's each originally, but only using a /24 or similar. 

17 minutes ago, Erkel said:

It was very much mis-managed in the beginning,  They have given up on the idea of reclaiming unused space, and just going to let the market take care of it via reselling of the IP space for profit by the people who got given it with a good need.  There other answer is that you should adopt IPV6.   All too common for the little campus's to be given a couple of /16's each originally, but only using a /24 or similar. 

ARIN has been pushing IPv6 a lot lately (which was funny because they made it quite expensive for us to get a small /36 in the beginning), but without ISPs adopting it then it doesn't really matter that we have 100% IPv6 connectivity when the end users cannot connect to it without a tunnel.

-KuJoe

34 minutes ago, KuJoe said:

ARIN has been pushing IPv6 a lot lately (which was funny because they made it quite expensive for us to get a small /36 in the beginning), but without ISPs adopting it then it doesn't really matter that we have 100% IPv6 connectivity when the end users cannot connect to it without a tunnel.

I did an IPv6 course 10 years ago put on by the local RIR APNIC,  I said to myself I would worry about it in 10 years.  10 years is up and I will worry about it in another 10.  Linus Torvald's said something similar when asked the question at the Linux Conf in NZ that I attended,  

There is no business case on the edge of the network and in the SMB or even corporate business markets,  no business case, means no money, so adoption an't going anywhere in a hurry.

Only thing that is different now, is that the RIR's are not giving out IP's like crazy in a giant lolly scramble. 

These days if you want IP's you have to pay for them,  One of my friends sold an old /22 last year and got $7 per IP I think it was.  There is no shortage of IP's  just people bitching about need to pay real money for them, or simply not buying them and using NAT,

Lets face it, if you an't running a server, there is limited business case for static IP for the average user.  They are already behind their own NAT anyways,  Everything just tunnels its way through.  IPv6 and the notion of end to end connectivity for eveyone is going to be cluster F*&k when it comes to security.

9 minutes ago, Erkel said:

These days if you want IP's you have to pay for them,  One of my friends sold an old /22 last year and got $7 per IP I think it was.  There is no shortage of IP's  just people bitching about need to pay real money for them, or simply not buying them and using NAT

There shouldn't be a need to pay "real money" for them, ARIN dropped the ball when they handed them out like candy with little oversight and ignoring their own policies. The sad thing is that RIPE was down to their last /8 years before ARIN was (2012), then when IANA handed out the last /8s to the RIRs (2014) ARIN blew through those IP and their remaining /8s in months (2015) because they didn't adjust their policies on handing out IPs. RIPE still has ~14 million IPs available but they were smart and limit each ASN to a single /22 whereas ARIN was giving out /16s while they were on their last /8. I thought it was because of greed but it wasn't, ARIN still gets paid the same regardless if they hand out a /20 or 4 /22s.

Oh well, there's nothing we can do now. :)

But back on topic, so who has their own IP space and what do you use it for? xD

-KuJoe

I have a /56 from TWC that changes at random because they can't implement it like they do for IPv4 =/

I used to have a static /29 from TWC as well but gave that up when I switched from Business to Residential because they wouldn't offer me 300/20 on the business line that I could get on the residential.

If I could find a way to use my own purchased address space on TWC's network that would be wonderful but I know that won't happen

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

41 minutes ago, Lurick said:

I have a /56 from TWC that changes at random because they can't implement it like they do for IPv4 =/

I used to have a static /29 from TWC as well but gave that up when I switched from Business to Residential because they wouldn't offer me 300/20 on the business line that I could get on the residential.

If I could find a way to use my own purchased address space on TWC's network that would be wonderful but I know that won't happen

Thanks but the goal of this thread is to find other people with their own IP space.

-KuJoe

I have more than 15 /8's and /24's in IPv4 for all my servers (ex. Web Hosting, Media Server, VOIP Phone, Live Streaming) plus multiple IPs for certain servers.

8 hours ago, aidanapple said:

I have more than 15 /8's in IPv4 for all my servers (ex. Web Hosting, Media Server, VOIP Phone, Live Streaming) plus multiple IPs for certain servers.

Thanks for playing. :P

-KuJoe

On 3/6/2017 at 6:16 PM, KuJoe said:

Oh, and I'm really interested to hear if anybody has any Legacy IPv4 space. Now that would be really neat as I've only met one person who does.

How legacy you talking? Works got a few /16 address spaces that were given to them a very long time ago.

NetType:        Early Registrations, Transferred to APNIC 
Comment:        This IP address range is not registered in the ARIN database.
Comment:        This range was transferred to the APNIC Whois Database as
Comment:        part of the ERX (Early Registration Transfer) project.

Personally I would like to get my own address space, I would be able to use it but I feel that it would be a waste. It would be used for my home lab which sure isn't small and for about 90% of the stuff I want just getting a /28 or /29 from a standard business subscription will do fine.

Also the policies around getting your own are getting tougher as you said, here in APNIC you have to meet a minimum of this (there are other things):

6.2.1. IPv4 for LIRs

To be eligible for an initial IPv4 delegation, an LIR must:

• Have used a /24 from their upstream provider or demonstrate an immediate need for a /24,
  • Have complied with applicable policies in managing all address space previously delegated to it (including Historical delegations), and
  • Demonstrate a detailed plan for use of at least a /23 within a year

https://www.apnic.net/community/policy/resources

Because I want it isn't a detailed plan :P.

On 3/6/2017 at 2:49 AM, KuJoe said:

There shouldn't be a need to pay "real money" for them, ARIN dropped the ball when they handed them out like candy with little oversight and ignoring their own policies. The sad thing is that RIPE was down to their last /8 years before ARIN was (2012), then when IANA handed out the last /8s to the RIRs (2014) ARIN blew through those IP and their remaining /8s in months (2015) because they didn't adjust their policies on handing out IPs. RIPE still has ~14 million IPs available but they were smart and limit each ASN to a single /22 whereas ARIN was giving out /16s while they were on their last /8. I thought it was because of greed but it wasn't, ARIN still gets paid the same regardless if they hand out a /20 or 4 /22s.

Oh well, there's nothing we can do now. :)

But back on topic, so who has their own IP space and what do you use it for? xD

IPv6 should have never been a thing. It's gross and the thought of it induces migranes. 

It's gonna be an absolute hell-hole for DDoS mitigation providers when they're forced to all start accepting ipv6 traffic for their clients. 

1 hour ago, Mornincupofhate said:

IPv6 should have never been a thing. It's gross and the thought of it induces migranes. 

It's gonna be an absolute hell-hole for DDoS mitigation providers when they're forced to all start accepting ipv6 traffic for their clients. 

I agree and disagree ;).

I bloody hate looking at IPv6 addresses, IPv4 is so simple and intuitive. However I like IPv6 too sooo......

Wtf-Meme-Wtf-This-Shit-Image-I-Dunno-Wtf 

I own these:

10.0.0.0/8

192.168.0.0/16

172.16.0.0/12

Can Anybody Link A Virtual Machine while I go download some RAM?

11 hours ago, leadeater said:

I agree and disagree ;).

I bloody hate looking at IPv6 addresses, IPv4 is so simple and intuitive. However I like IPv6 too sooo......

Wtf-Meme-Wtf-This-Shit-Image-I-Dunno-Wtf 

2001:10:16:240::LOL

:D

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

On 3/7/2017 at 9:19 PM, Mornincupofhate said:

As long as they stop changing the "standards" it won't be so bad. Unfortunately the standard I started with is no longer the standard and will most likely wreak havoc on my clients down the line.

-KuJoe

17 hours ago, KuJoe said:

As long as they stop changing the "standards" it won't be so bad. Unfortunately the standard I started with is no longer the standard and will most likely wreak havoc on my clients down the line.

Imagine having a bot flood come in on your servers. The next thing you know, you've got 2 billion IP addresses in your block list. That's not gonna cause problems at all.

11 hours ago, Mornincupofhate said:

Imagine having a bot flood come in on your servers. The next thing you know, you've got 2 billion IP addresses in your block list. That's not gonna cause problems at all.

That's why you don't block individual IPs. Originally each end user was suppised to get a /64 so the companies like mine who adopted it early gave out /64s to end users, now I think Comcast is handing out /56s so blocking a /64 is pointless.

-KuJoe

Here in Serbia, I just don't see an adoption of IPv6 in the next 4-5 years, simply because ISPs buy the cheapest CPE on the market which absolutely has no support for IPv6 and then keep them in service, until they are unusable or they die.

The interesting thing is, that most of our core infrastructure is already running IPv6, but the ISP equipment is the bottleneck.

Most of the ISPs started to do CG NAT, which is horrifying, honestly. I know one ISP, runs around 9000 clients on a /24..