Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Delicieuxz

Tim Sweeney says Microsoft is lying about some supposed Win 10 advantages, calls UWP "woefully inadequate"

13 hours ago, bobhays said:

If linux systems were on shelves at places like best buy then people might start being slightly interested.

Dont think so... R=1 consumers are lasy AF so they freak out when they didnt greeted by any version of windows. I was curious what my father would do if i put linux on the machine that he uses for web browsing. Popped a Live Linux Mint on a pendrive and booted it and opened firefox. Guess what he did?

Spoiler

Forced shutdown with the power button then switched it back on... :dry:

Edited by jagdtigger
15 hours ago, steezemageeze said:

The majority of people wouldn't know how to do that though.

"Hey there, Jack? Just got a new laptop, can you set it up for me please?"

"Sure, what Windows version do you want?"
"No idea"

"Ok, I'll bring the Windows 7 USB"

And that's how you do it. ;)

This just came to mind, even easier than the first one:

"Hello Jack, I want a new laptop for around 800 bucks"

"Sure, do you want to play DVDs on it?"

"Yeah, I want to listen to my Julio Iglesias albums"

"Sure thing. I'll go get one and set it up for you"

2 hours ago, crisro996 said:

"Hey there, Jack? Just got a new laptop, can you set it up for me please?"

"Sure, what Windows version do you want?"
"No idea"

"Ok, I'll bring the Windows 7 USB"

And that's how you do it. ;)

This just came to mind, even easier than the first one:

"Hello Jack, I want a new laptop for around 800 bucks"

"Sure, do you want to play DVDs on it?"

"Yeah, I want to listen to my Julio Iglesias albums"

"Sure thing. I'll go get one and set it up for you"

Sure, but that's a little out of context. zMeul was talking about pirating Windows. Even in that situation they'd be dealing with either buying a key, hoping Jack has a couple spare keys, or leaving it inactivated (which yes, is still usable, but it isn't a perfect situation). I think the conversation would be more like,

"Hey Jack, I just bought this cheap computer and I can't get Norton to install! And Windows looks real strange, they changed everything!"

"...please tell me the wallpaper isn't orange?"

"Yeah it is, why? Do I have a virus?"

"No, Tim, you bought a laptop with Ubuntu on it. I'll be right over with the Windows 7 disc"

You're right on the second one, that'd definitely be better, although I can't imagine that happens very often.

I'm not really sure what the point I'm trying to make here is, other than that I think Linux prebuilts could be a good idea in some cases, it's really not for the general public. Too many people can't even figure out how to set up their printer, let alone install a .deb package.

A Guide For Getting Started With Linux

My first rig:   CPU: AMD Athlon X4 860k Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper T4 MoBo: Gigabyte GA-F2A88XM-DH3 Video Card: EVGA GTX 750 Ti Superclocked RAM: 8GB Kingston HyperX Fury White 1866MHz Storage: WD Blue 1TB PSU: EVGA 100-W1-0500-KR Case: Rosewill SRM-01

59 minutes ago, steezemageeze said:

Too many people can't even figure out how to set up their printer, let alone install a .deb package.

You dont even have to deal with deb packages nowadays. There is a convinient gui application for software installation and updating.

On 05/03/2017 at 6:37 PM, RagnarokDel said:

Tim Sweeney is so bias'd against Microsoft, he should be a "Microsoft expert" for Fox News.

This is perhaps the dumbest shit I've ever read as an argument for Linux.That's what? about 0.0001% of gaming scenarios?

Between CSGO, Rocket league, Dota2, Runescape, TF2 you are already at a pretty good coverage of what a significant portion of gamers play. These days the only games I really play are Rocket league and Dota, and there are lots of people like me that only play a couple of games. 

Modding keeps gaming and games alive, look at GTA for example. I still make mods for GTA SA and I started 10 years ago with modding, 2007.

Wtf is Microshit thinking and doing?? They are simply a bunch of dumb fucktards forcing gamers to buy games from UWP.

They are truely a bunch of lying cocksuckers crying about how modding destroys HDD/SDD, breaking PC etc etc mimimimimimimi

Well fuck that, I'll never ever buy a game from UWP, end of story.

Gamedevs should hop off Microsoft's dick and start making games for Linux and Vulkan.

10 hours ago, jagdtigger said:

You dont even have to deal with deb packages nowadays. There is a convinient gui application for software installation and updating.

I know, I'm typing this from an Ubuntu machine as we speak, so I know what you mean, but it's not always that simple. That "not always" is what I think really holds Linux back from becoming mainstream.

My first rig:   CPU: AMD Athlon X4 860k Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper T4 MoBo: Gigabyte GA-F2A88XM-DH3 Video Card: EVGA GTX 750 Ti Superclocked RAM: 8GB Kingston HyperX Fury White 1866MHz Storage: WD Blue 1TB PSU: EVGA 100-W1-0500-KR Case: Rosewill SRM-01

6 hours ago, steezemageeze said:

I know, I'm typing this from an Ubuntu machine as we speak, so I know what you mean, but it's not always that simple. That "not always" is what I think really holds Linux back from becoming mainstream.

Im a linux user too, in my experience for the software that is required for everyday use you dont even need to touch the terminal or fiddle with .deb files ;) .

3 hours ago, jagdtigger said:

Im a linux user too, in my experience for the software that is required for everyday use you dont even need to touch the terminal or fiddle with .deb files ;) .

You're right, I guess most people wouldn't need to touch the terminal, they'll probably install OpenOffice and Google Chrome and call it a day. I like to fiddle and tweak, so I guess my view is kind of skewed on that.