Asus crosshair vi hero AM4 motherboard issues/questions

So I got a 1700x, the crosshair vi hero motherboard, and the H60 from corsair. Every boot seems to give me a different post code. Today it is displaying "40" in the book there is no 40 code and I can't seem to find anything on the internet as of right now. Anyone else having similar issues? Also I updated my bios to the beta and my AIO is having issues, cpu temps will spike up to 57c then down to 47c and back and forth. Flashed back to the original bios and showed normal temps of 35-37 at idle with no swings like the beta bios. 

Asus is having voltage issues with their boards. My 370 pro has the same problems.

Had a post code of " 61 " holding for awhile wouldn't boot, restarted it. Now it won't boot at all. aura comes on and every light on the board that normally is on when my power supply is switched on. Could it be a dead board?

I had a similar issue as you backcountry7, my Crosshair VI posted 05. Send it back to my Reseller and wait now to get my new one.

I have simillar issues but in the end i have make it stable. True is - temps are definetly too high. On AIO Antec H1200 with 2x Noctua Industrial fans temps are like 55-76 (by UEFI, or HVMONITOR). But it works fine at the moment not including few issues. Question is:

Is it a UEFI issue that can be solved or thats a hardware issue that Cant be solved. Anyone has any info about it ?

I should have more info later this week, I've sent off my board last week and it is being worked on now. I've heard that there is/was voltage issues with the bios's that are out. Could be both. Bios is causing physical damage. I didn't try to overclock it or anything just wouldn't boot anymore, using my case power button and the board start button. Did a flash bios back to original but that didn't work either. I've also heard that a new bios will be available this week. 

• 2 weeks later...

I've had / I am having similar issues to the ones detailed here. I'm about to update my BIOS to stable 0902.

My issue originally was with the EK Supremacy EVO waterblock. The rubber insulation for the backplate was exerting too much pressure on the socket. Removing the central piece of rubber solved this. This is however contrary to EKs instruction for AM4 installation but is in line with installation on intel platforms.

Now however I appear to get a different socket related issue. Aura LEDs come on when PSU is turned on however I get no boot at all. Q-Code just shows as '8'. Slightly loosening the CPU block solves this issue. However that a pain in the ass removing the tempered glass side panel each day.

Hopefully the BIOS update resolves this issue. My temps so far have been fine though. ~25-30C idle and less then 60C under load so far. No overclock yet. Getting it all stable and then I'll push it.

Take of the rubber insulation, and take that white plastic insulation off the original backplate the board came with, install ist on the ek backplate. Now the cooler mounting wont tighten the backplate to the board, simply put some plastic washers more under them, this will solve the  whole pressure related problem.

Greetings from Germany

10 hours ago, brat137 said:

I get no boot at all. Q-Code just shows as '8'.

8 is the same as a 00 on intel boards, meaning CPU failure.

<DISCLAIMER>

WHEN UPDATING BIOS, RESET EVERYTHING TO "LOAD OPTIMAL DEFAULTS" THEN RESET THE SYSTEM AGAIN BEFORE FLASH. FLASHING WHEN RUNNING OVERCLOCKED VOLTAGES AND SETTINGS CAN/WILL BRICK YOUR MOTHERBOARD

</DISCLAIMER>

So, here are some suggestions.  I'm attaching 2 BIOS files from ROG.  The 1001 is a stable release, at RAM 2666+ running at 1T (below that 2T) and the other is 0038 Bios is 2T.  Basically updates, 1001 is with RAM improvements and timing from the 05XX series and 0038 is RAM timings from the 0903 series.

In addition, you really *need* to update things on this board as follows:

• CPU SOC Voltage (not core) needs to be either set to 1.0 but no higher than 1.2 (MAX 1.2, only do this if you HAVE to)
  • Ram Voltage set to 1.385 (if you're going above 1.2 standard) because it supplies less than the 1.35 volts you set it to.  Mine is set to 1.4 and gives me 1.352 
  • Ram timings are very fickle when sub-C14
  • As you may have read, the IMC and Infinity Fabric have issues with Ram Speeds.  Getting 3200+ (even 2666+) can be difficult.  It will improve performance of communication between CCX chips, but don't expect a miracle. 

Now, if you're looking at Overclocking the CPU as well...

• CPU voltage DOES NOT read correctly on "Core Voltage" sensor, reports 1.550
  • Most people are using 1.4 volts on 1700 and 1700x, I use 1.45 on 1800x
  • Be aware that AMD Ryzen X cpu's report 20c+ temperature offset
  • When Overclocked, Ryzen sucks voltage and dumps heat.  A 120mm watercooler won't be able to support as much of an overclock as you might like.

The above posts are correct about mounting pressure are 100% correct.  

CROSSHAIR-VI-HERO-ASUS-0038.zip

CROSSHAIR-VI-HERO-ASUS-1001.zip

Code 8 can also be a result of pressure problems around the cpu socket, had the same problems with getting code 8 and the board not starting at all, everything was solve by the the troubleshooting process i have written about above.

8 hours ago, KingofRome said:

Code 8 can also be a result of pressure problems around the cpu socket, had the same problems with getting code 8 and the board not starting at all, everything was solve by the the troubleshooting process i have written about above.

It is the pressure issue. However I have not had to take the entire rubber insulation from EK out. Only the central bit and then some loosening of the block. This combined with flashing to 0932 has fixed my q-code 8 issue.

I will be flashing to 1001 as suggested by Evanair as I have also seen the thread on ROG.ASUS regarding this BIOS version. Essentially it states same as 0932 but with support for higher, if less stable, RAM speeds.

I'll update again when I am on 1001 with results.

Thanks

edit:

For the record my waterblock is connected to a 360mm rad and is currently the only component cooled by it. I'll be adding a 1080Ti block as soon as EK release one that doesn't have TITAN X engraved on it but I'll also be adding a 280mm rad so will still have plenty of head room for temps.