Faulty CPU heatsink or bad CPU?

Go to solution Solved by Pepega,

im running a 212 evo and it never get pass 70C on my 7700k

Hi Guys,

I recently built a new rig with an i7 7700K together with a Cryorig H5 Universal heatsink as my first DIY project. The problem I am facing is that during a stress test, the CPU temperature jumps up from an ambient temperature of about 34C to 70C within a few seconds, keeps climbing slowly and stabilizes in the low 80s. When I stop the stress test, the temperature again drops back very quickly to 40C within a few seconds. As a result of this high temperature, I am currently running the CPU without any overclock.

I have tried reinstalling the heatsink several times with new thermal paste reapplied each time but the situation remains the same. Attached is the temperature profile that I captured over about 10 mins using Afterburner and HWMonitor. Is this normal? If not, is this a heatsink or CPU issue? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

CPU temp.JPG

1 minute ago, nerdslayer1 said:

reapply thermal paste 

I would do this for sure.

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN RESPONDING

Please Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It. Take Time & Explain

New TOS RUINED the meme that used to be below :( 

1 minute ago, nerdslayer1 said:

reapply thermal paste 

Did you even read his Post?

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

How is your Airflow? What Case, how many Fans in what Position?

I see no serious Problem with your Temps anyway.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

1 minute ago, Praesi said:

Did you even read his Post?

i have, i told him to try one more time before looking at his voltage in bios. 

I had done so several times and also cleaned the surface of the cpu and heatsink with alcohol. Is the CPU temperature profile under load normal or should I see a dip within a minute or two i.e. the heatsink cooling kicks in? 

Just now, nerdslayer1 said:

i have, i told him to try one more time before looking at his voltage in bios. 

99.9% the TP isnt the Issue. If he put it on correctly.

First of all, when you look at cooler reviews and most of temps other people get with CPU and cooler, ambient plays a role. Most of the time ambient temps are 5-10C lower than yours. Which means that when others get 35-38C idle, you will have 38-45C idle. That being said, which stress? I would assume normal stress temp for cooler/CPU is about 70-75C. With your ambient max temps seem to be fine too. You have bit room for OC still. Remember that stress tests are used to see what happens in worst possible case. You won't see that high temps in normal use.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

@gameofthrones: Does your CPU temperature shoot up then drops back down during stress testing i.e. the heatsink cooling kicks in? Or is the temperature profile that I am seeing normal i.e. spikes and maintains until end of stress testing. I tried touching the fins of my H5 and they are only mildly warm despite the high temperatures which is why I am wondering if my heatsink has an issue.

On 3/5/2017 at 7:22 PM, LoGiCalDrm said:

First of all, when you look at cooler reviews and most of temps other people get with CPU and cooler, ambient plays a role. Most of the time ambient temps are 5-10C lower than yours. Which means that when others get 35-38C idle, you will have 38-45C idle. That being said, which stress? I would assume normal stress temp for cooler/CPU is about 70-75C. With your ambient max temps seem to be fine too. You have bit room for OC still. Remember that stress tests are used to see what happens in worst possible case. You won't see that high temps in normal use.

My bad. I meant CPU temperature without load and not room ambient temperature. I am using realbench for the stress testing. You are correct that under normal use the temperatures are lower - Afterburner is showing it fluctuating around 50-60+C when I'm playing Rise of the tomb raider/Witcher 3. As I bought the K chip to overclock instead of running it at stock, I'm trying to understand if what I'm seeing is normal or should I consider an AIO in order to start overclocking?

What's your core voltage set to?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

9 hours ago, TigerD said:

@gameofthrones: Does your CPU temperature shoot up then drops back down during stress testing i.e. the heatsink cooling kicks in? Or is the temperature profile that I am seeing normal i.e. spikes and maintains until end of stress testing. I tried touching the fins of my H5 and they are only mildly warm despite the high temperatures which is why I am wondering if my heatsink has an issue.

Temps moving is normal for Realbench. Unlike Aida64 or OCCT, it has several operations working and they use CPU bit fluctuating. You can make cooling more linear by adjusting fans curve.

Your hand is extremely inaccurate method for testing any temps. Also, CPU temps are measured from inside CPU chip. From that point to top of cooler and to fins, metal will cool down. I would say if you are feeling hot from top of cooler, that would be bigger issue.

9 hours ago, TigerD said:

.... As I bought the K chip to overclock instead of running it at stock, I'm trying to understand if what I'm seeing is normal or should I consider an AIO in order to start overclocking?

That depends what voltages you are running now. Auto-setting under stress test raises voltages bit more than is needed for stock speeds. So you can increase clock and use the max voltage set from auto as baseline. And then increase it few notches if needed. I don't think 120mm AIO will help much, you'd need to go for 240mm or bigger.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

I have a 4790K ((@ 4.0-4.4Ghz) TDP of 88 Watts) and also a Hyper 212EVO with Arctic MX-2 between the cooler and CPU, my room temp is around 20C. When I stress test my cpu, it usually goes to around 65C.

The 7700K has TDP of 91 Watts, so I don't think you have a faulty CPU or CPU cooler.

Main gaming pc: Lian-Li Lancool II Mesh Performance - Ryzen 5 5600X - MSI GTX1080Ti Armor - AMD Wraith Spire RGB - ASUS TUF Gaming B550 Plus - Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 2x8GB 3200MHz - 500GB M.2 (and a few other drives)

Gaming laptop: ASUS GL552VW: i7 6700HQ - GTX960M 2GB - 8GB DDR4 2166Mhz RAM - 1TB 7200RPM HDD

23 minutes ago, xDanielxOossiex said:

I have a 4790K ((@ 4.0-4.4Ghz) TDP of 88 Watts) and also a Hyper 212EVO with Arctic MX-2 between the cooler and CPU, my room temp is around 20C. When I stress test my cpu, it usually goes to around 65C.

The 7700K has TDP of 91 Watts, so I don't think you have a faulty CPU or CPU cooler.

Also if you add 15C to max temp (difference between your room temp and OPs) we get about the results shown.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Hi,

TLDR version:

Check the CPU Voltage for your 7700K. My motherboard was giving unnecessary high voltage to the CPU out of the box(did not change any settings in motherboard or anywhere). My FPU stress test temperatures were at 91C-94C within 2 seconds. After checking out this forum and Gamernexus review, I was able to reduce the CPU voltage and bring the temps down to ~67C! Currently running 4.8GHz at ~80C and very happy with it :)

Long version:

I got a Gigabyte Z270XP-SLI (Rev 1.0) to pair with my new 7700K. For cooling, I'm using Corasair H100i v2. This was a completely new PC with a clean install and all out of the box configurations in the motherboard. After installing Windows 10, I did stress testing on the CPU and GPU(My EVGA GTX 1080 SC was quite cool at 65C under furmark). 

As soon as I started the CPU and FPU stress tests on AIDA64 Trial version, the temps jumped to 91C-94C in less than 2 seconds. Scared out of my wits, I shut down the system after 2 minutes of same steady temps and reinstalled my AIO cooler carefully. Repeated the procedure 4 more times with no improvements in temps.

By the way, my idle temps were perfectly normal at around 29C-31C.

Joined this forum and found this amazing post by Streetguru in this forum. Apparently Gigabyte Z270 motherboards applied waaaaay to much CPU voltage right out of the box so when doing a stress test, the temps went skyhigh before you could say wtf. The motherboard came with BIOS version F2(dated 11/26/2016). Once i upgraded the BIOS to F4(02/22/2017), the CPU voltage dropped to 1.25V and the temps reduced to 70C-73C.

Tried a few more variations and here are the results for the stress tests:

Stable 4.5Ghz @1.2V with temps at 67C

Stable 4.8Ghz @1.242V with temps at ~80C [Current setting]

Stable 4.9Ghz @1.248V with temps at ~82C-83C

BSOD 5Ghz (didn't want to up the voltage beyond 1.3V. I might be able to do it, but this speed is not necessary for me. )

Another article linked by Streetguru thta I found very helpful:  http://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/2744-intel-i7-7700k-review-and-benchmark/page-4

On 1/29/2017 at 9:54 PM, Streetguru said:

You need to lower your voltage most likely

Hope that helps for anyone worried with their temperature reading. Im a newbie here, let me know if my post had any issues and I will edit it. Thanks to you guys I fixed my issue!