7700k turbo boosting question.

-not news, moved to CPUs-

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Turbo boost depends on workload not temps

Just now, deXxterlab97 said:

Turbo boost depends on workload not temps

Will it thermal throttle with video and audio editing?

And thanks for the reply.

If you are going to be overclocking it I would recommend an AIO water cooler, to help keep the prolonged temps down. I use an H115i on mine, with 4 fans in push/pull and it seems to work great.

You are going to need an aftermarket cooler because the 7700k doesn't come with a stock cooler.

1 minute ago, Squirrel724 said:

You are going to need an aftermarket cooler because the 7700k doesn't come with a stock cooler.

I'm buying from a online builder.

Also thanks for the reply.

4 minutes ago, davidsupernor said:

Will it thermal throttle with video and audio editing?

And thanks for the reply.

No. 

1 minute ago, KyleKyleKyle said:

If you are going to be overclocking it I would recommend an AIO water cooler, to help keep the prolonged temps down. I use an H115i on mine, with 4 fans in push/pull and it seems to work great.

Just turbo boost for gaming and editing.

Also thanks for the reply.

Turbo Boost works by default on a 7700K.  You can change the settings in the bios to have them boost higher, but stock boost is 45/44/44/44...so no it won't throttle with a decent aftermarket cooler.  I would recommend something in the area of a Cryorig R1 though for air cooling for best results....although if you do your due diligence a Cryorig H5 will do fine because boosting to 4.5ghz on all cores most 7700Ks will do fine at 1.2v.  I can run mine without issue at 1.175v with a 4.5 boost on all cores with 4.2ghz cache....so heat output is not as high...Plus you can lower your VCCPL OC (how Gigabyte terms it) from 1.25v to 1.15v perhaps and lower temps more.  I run mine at 1.15v from default 1.25v and saw load temps drop over 5c.

Fractal Design Define C | Intel Core i7 7700k | Corsair H100i V2 | Gigabyte Z270X Gaming 7 | Seasonic Prime 750 | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X
16gb G.Skill Trident Z | Samsung 960 Evo NVMe 500gb | Razer Black Widow Chroma | Razer Death Adder Chroma | Razer Firefly | Dell U2515H