Windows 10 loses market-share to Windows 7 for second month in a row on Steam hardware survey / again on NetMarketShare

Delicieuxz
4 hours ago, mafioso said:

here's proof and if you'd wonder how i'll tell

Capture.PNG

I actually installed windows 7 pro 2 days ago on my kaby lake, works perfect, I love it. I used an old cd for installation, but I know I could've used an USB and injected the USB drivers into the installation. But eh I did it the old fashioned way.

CPU: Intel Core I7 7700K & Corsair H100i v2
Mobo: Asus Maximus IX Hero
RAM: 32 Gigs @ 3000Mhz, Corsair Dominator Platinum
GPU: Asus Strix 1080 A8G
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 500gb
PSU: Corsair HX750i
Case: Fractal Design Define S

On 3/4/2017 at 5:24 PM, Delicieuxz said:

Do you ever wonder what happens when a newer OS is essentially a re-packaging of its older version, but with adware, data-theft, and many inconveniences put into it, for the purpose of generating daily revenue for the developer, at the expense of all the OS' license-owners? Well, Windows 10 has given us an answer to that question of the ages - and, apparently, it's that people just go back to the earlier, cleaner, more reliable presentation of that OS.

Windows 10 usage on Steam falls again for the second month in a row

Those figures are only looking at 64 bit versions of the OSes in the Steam hardware survey, while when looking at both 64 and 32 bit versions, Windows 10 is currently at 48.77%, while Windows 7 is at 36.81%.

Those figures also represent gamers using the Steam client. Outside of gaming, Windows 7 remains by far the dominant Windows OS in usage, and is still growing in its market-share, according to Net Market Share's monthly statistics.

Bad news for Microsoft as Windows 10 loses market share -- again

It's probably not surprising to anyone that people want an OS that is about serving them, rather than Microsoft, which is an area in which Windows 10 struggles very badly. I mean, who wants advertisements in their personal space, in the OS-instance which they are the sole owner of? Not me, for sure.

http://www.theverge.com/2016/8/3/12369326/microsoft-windows-10-chrome-battery-life-notifications

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/3002960/windows-10-microsoft-is-spamming-chrome-users-with-pop-up-adverts

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/732600-windows-10-pushes-notifcaitons-to-remind-you-to-watch-the-superbowl-and-to-purchase-snacks/

https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/5xec80/is_nothing_sacred_advertisement_for_onedrive_in/

https://boards.4chan.org/g/thread/59233293

I'm not surprised. I may not be a big Windows guy but 7 is better for user interface IMO.

UPDATE: So now my Kaby Lake Windows 7 is locked out of other M$ services like Skype, saying that my processor is not supported. Now waiting until somebody finds a loophole to still use M$ services (I'm not smart enough).

EDIT: I have a theory about what may be a loophole, just thought it out in my head though so I'm not sure if it's going to work. If I change my processors name to a 6th via regedit, could that be a possible loophole?

EDIT 2: I can now use M$ services again, just uninstall update KB4012218.

Edited by jnkokseby

1 hour ago, jnkokseby said:

UPDATE: So now my Kaby Lake Windows 7 is locked out of other M$ services like Skype, saying that my processor is not supported. Now waiting until somebody finds a loophole to still use M$ services (I'm not smart enough).

EDIT: I have a theory about what may be a loophole, just thought it out in my head though so I'm not sure if it's going to work. If I change my processors name to a 6th via regedit, could that be a possible loophole?

That's kinda funny. Reminds me of how, if you use office 365 online, if the webpage doesn't understand your useragent (typically, the kernel part) it will run EXTREMELY slowly. Someone on /r/linux changed their UA string in chrome to be a windows one, and it worked perfectly, and broke again when they changed it back to a linux one... 

15 hours ago, jnkokseby said:

EDIT 2: I can now use M$ services again, just uninstall update KB4012218

Apparently one of the features of the KB4012218 update is :

Enabled detection of processor generation and hardware support when PC tries to scan or download updates through Windows Update

Uninstalling that update will indeed solve your problem.  I'm surprised about Skype not working though.  If it wasn't some fluke, it looks like this processor detection occurs when interacting with any Microsoft service, not just Windows Update. 

Seeing as this functionality will probably be present in future "quality updates" (oh, the irony!) as well, you'll basically have to stop installing those and stick with security updates only.  That should allow you to keep getting Win7/8.1 updates on Ryzen/Kaby ... or at least until Microsoft notices that too many people are doing this and makes 4012218 a prerequisite to every update.

On 3/5/2017 at 9:24 AM, Delicieuxz said:

-snip-

im on windows 7 lol

Ryzen 5 3600

RX 590 8GB 

WD Blue 1TB

(full specs on profile)

14 hours ago, jnkokseby said:

Assuming this is true, I can't wait for the Microsoft Defense force trying to justify blocking programs from running and uninstalling an "update" (maybe we should call them malware from now on) makes everything work.

Microsoft should stop treating their customers like shit.

11 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Assuming this is true, I can't wait for the Microsoft Defense force trying to justify blocking programs from running and uninstalling an "update" (maybe we should call them malware from now on) makes everything work.

Microsoft should stop treating their customers like shit.

This move is so retarded....luckily Intel hasn't made Skylake and Kabylake worth upgrading from a 4790K, so I'll be good for a long while. Especially with the amount of users telling MS to fuck right off by continuing to use Windows 7 (it really is the best Windows version to date).

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

11 hours ago, Captain Chaos said:

Apparently one of the features of the KB4012218 update is :

Uninstalling that update will indeed solve your problem.  I'm surprised about Skype not working though.  If it wasn't some fluke, it looks like this processor detection occurs when interacting with any Microsoft service, not just Windows Update. 

Seeing as this functionality will probably be present in future "quality updates" (oh, the irony!) as well, you'll basically have to stop installing those and stick with security updates only.  That should allow you to keep getting Win7/8.1 updates on Ryzen/Kaby ... or at least until Microsoft notices that too many people are doing this and makes 4012218 a prerequisite to every update.

What they might end up doing is forcing the update like they did with the "Get Windows 10" update, everytime you uninstalled it, it would reinstall automatically.

fucking microsoft has to ruin their otherwise fine win10 with ridiculous forced updates, telemetries, and forced install of programs behind your back.  I'm so glad I'm still on win7.

On 3/5/2017 at 1:32 AM, SpaceGhostC2C said:

Wishful-thinking me says "maybe they'll go back to basics, focus on what users want and what they don't, and provide more of the former and less of the latter". Realistic-pessimistic me says "who knows where the month-to-month variations are coming from. People leaving W10 may do it for different reasons than me, so even if MS listens it won't matter. Worst case scenario they'll bribe their way into market share. Resistance is futile" :P 

Is that sarcasm? o.O You are basically saying you don't understand why people don't use Linux...

Let's recap:

- change UI away from default (beginner)

- install alternative photo/media programs (you just ticked off half the user base)

- get rid of cortana (that's it. Truly getting rid caps you at 10% market share)

- get rid of notification center (moar OS tweaking...)

- install Anti-Beacon: assuming your OS is spyware, and then deciding to keep it anyways by getting a tool you have to find out about first, are two steps that most users won't make. It's not like Spybot adds will show up in your W10 notification area...

- A list of constant changes and registry tweaks (registry tweaks ffs) that goes on and on...

If that's what it takes to enjoy Windows 10, the answer is easy: 90% of the users simply can't do it, 7% is already doing all that and more in their Linux distros, and the remaining 3% wants to spend their time using their computers, not endlessly setting them up :P 

here you go http://winaero.com/comment.php?comment.news.1836 is this easy enough?

12 minutes ago, TOMPPIX said:

here you go http://winaero.com/comment.php?comment.news.1836 is this easy enough?

Not really, a r=1 user will run away as soon as he/she see's that list in the window. This isnt meant for the avarage user IMHO. Plus telemtry cant be turned off and it ignores the hosts file. Win10 is pretty much a spy and adware so its best to avoid it like the plague...

8 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

Not really, a r=1 user will run away as soon as he/she see's that list in the window. This isnt meant for the avarage user IMHO. Plus telemtry cant be turned off and it ignores the hosts file. Win10 is pretty much a spy and adware so its best to avoid it like the plague...

http://winaero.com/blog/how-to-disable-telemetry-and-data-collection-in-windows-10/

I11fQ0E.png

Just now, jagdtigger said:

Once tried that then put it to the test in wireshark, failed miserably:

K%C3%A9pkiv%C3%A1g%C3%A1s2.PNG

As you can see despite the tweaks its pretty actively sending data to MS...

anyway to see exactly what it's sending?

5 minutes ago, TOMPPIX said:

anyway to see exactly what it's sending?

Does it matter? You disabled it but it continuous to send data behind your back. That fact alone classifies it as spyware and indicates that its sending way more than what MS is claiming...9_9 Think about it, if it was sending crash reports and other stuff that cant be sold to anyone why would they so desperate to get it at any cost?

Edited by jagdtigger

17 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

Does it matter? You disabled it but it continuous to send data behind your back. That fact alone classifies it as spyware and indicates that its sending way more than what MS is claiming...9_9 Think about it, if it was sending crash reports and other stuff that cant be sold to anyone why would they so desperate to get it at any cost?

agreed, apparently telemetry is stored in %ProgramData%\Microsoft\Diagnosis and the files are pretty old for me at least.

bSXQXdq.png

hmmm, i could not open the telemetry.ASM-WindowsDefault.json file in C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Diagnosis\DownloadedSettings but i took ownership of the folder and now i can open it

Spoiler

{
  "settings": {
    "MICROSOFTTELEMETRY::MS.CRITICALDATA:SAMPLERATE": "100",
    "MICROSOFTTELEMETRY::MS.MEASURES:SAMPLERATE": "2",
    "MICROSOFTTELEMETRY::MS.TELEMETRY:SAMPLERATE": "0",
    "WINDOWSCORETELEMETRY::MS.CRITICALDATA:SAMPLERATE": "100",
    "WINDOWSCORETELEMETRY::MS.MEASURES:SAMPLERATE": "100",
    "WINDOWSCORETELEMETRY::MS.TELEMETRY:SAMPLERATE": "100",
    "ARIA::MS.CRITICALDATA:SAMPLERATE": "100",
    "ARIA::MS.MEASURES:SAMPLERATE": "2",
    "ARIA::MS.TELEMETRY:SAMPLERATE": "0",
    "MICROSOFT-APPLICATIONINSIGHTS:::SAMPLERATE": "100",
    "MICROSOFT-APPLICATIONINSIGHTS-DEV:::SAMPLERATE": "100",
    "MICROSOFT-APPLICATIONINSIGHTS-DEV:::LATENCY": "Realtime",
    "MICROSOFTWLANTELEMETRY::MSWLAN.CRITICALDATA:SAMPLERATE": "100",
    "MICROSOFTWLANTELEMETRY::MSWLAN.MEASURES:SAMPLERATE": "2",
    "MICROSOFTWLANTELEMETRY::MSWLAN.TELEMETRY:SAMPLERATE": "0",
    "XBOX.XSAPI:::SAMPLERATE": "100",
    "SKYPE:::SAMPLERATE": "100",
    "MSPG::MS.CRITICALDATA:SAMPLERATE": "100",
    "MSPG::MS.MEASURES:SAMPLERATE": "2",
    "MSPG::MS.TELEMETRY:SAMPLERATE": "0"
}}

37 minutes ago, TOMPPIX said:

the files are pretty old for me at least

If you were to set up Wireshark, you'd probably notice that the OS is still sending data almost constantly despite whatever tool you are using to stop your OS from phoning home. 

If the most recent telemetry data on your PC is 2 weeks old (like the screenshot indicates), that means that all the data it's been sending for the last 2 weeks is not diagnostics/telemetry but usage data. 

As long as MS refuses to show people what exactly is in those packages, perhaps it's best to assume that this includes keystrokes, file names etc.