Windows 10 loses market-share to Windows 7 for second month in a row on Steam hardware survey / again on NetMarketShare

Delicieuxz
1 minute ago, Darth Revan said:

Because it takes time and it's annoying. And you won't get it to look and work exactly the same as the old one.

It really doesnt take that much time, specially when you consider we all stay good portion of our day on it, it is like being a taxi driver and find excuse not to ever wash the car because of no time, it just doesnt feel right to me.

Also I did say it isn't an exact copy, the idea wasn't make it identical if it was then yah I'd just reinstall Win7Ultimate and be done, no the deal here is that Win10 can still be a lot alike Win7, like A lot while in deed feeling like an enhanced version, and honestly at least with my programs and such Win10 does run better.

this is my shitty laptop's desktop right now, do tell me it isn't as like as possible with Win7, I did delete every single "apps" Photos, Groove Music etc those are all junk, replaced with the good and old MPC-HC and Windows Photo Viewer, the only app worth keeping was skype Preview thanks to its night theme [use it for work, for friends is discord already hehe].

Spoiler

L0QdpeP.png

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

@Princess Cadence Could I get you to dm me a list of all the thing you've done to make Windows 10 as much like Windows 7 as possible. I can probably figure out how to do the things myself. I would appreciate that very much kind sir/ma'am :)

CPU: Intel Core I7 7700K & Corsair H100i v2
Mobo: Asus Maximus IX Hero
RAM: 32 Gigs @ 3000Mhz, Corsair Dominator Platinum
GPU: Asus Strix 1080 A8G
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 500gb
PSU: Corsair HX750i
Case: Fractal Design Define S

10 minutes ago, jnkokseby said:

@Princess Cadence Could I get you to dm me a list of all the thing you've done to make Windows 10 as much like Windows 7 as possible. I can probably figure out how to do the things myself. I would appreciate that very much kind sir/ma'am :)

sure, I have to serve dinner to family and all right now but later tonight when I do get to my desktop pc at my room I'll send you a private message, I can guarantee you that going through the work is worth it, it will be better than the old win7 and definitely better than the out of the box win10 [:

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

42 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Microsoft won't be happy xD 

Despite all they did to try to incentivize people to make the switch, I guess the various things they did to annoy people more than compensated.  Can't say I'm surprised with the stories most people tell of their Win 10 experience.

I wonder what will happen going into the future as they simply use their market position to effectively force people to upgrade by making newer hardware not work on old versions of Windows?

Wishful-thinking me says "maybe they'll go back to basics, focus on what users want and what they don't, and provide more of the former and less of the latter". Realistic-pessimistic me says "who knows where the month-to-month variations are coming from. People leaving W10 may do it for different reasons than me, so even if MS listens it won't matter. Worst case scenario they'll bribe their way into market share. Resistance is futile" :P 

22 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

I don't care about DX12, but Win10 can be edited to be, look, feel just the exact same as the Win7, classic shell, old windows photo viewer back, media player classic, get rid of cortana, get rid of notification center, use Spybot Anti-Beacon, delete/disable xbox dvr... etc... I won't go through the entire list but I did constant changes and registry tweaking that results in the Win10 being an enhanced Win7 and it does run smoother and has a much better task manager etc...

With that said I do not understand why don't more people bother themselves editing their operating system to their liking, it is not that hard and very rewarding, instead they go back to "outdated" ones without any need.

Is that sarcasm? o.O You are basically saying you don't understand why people don't use Linux...

Let's recap:

- change UI away from default (beginner)

- install alternative photo/media programs (you just ticked off half the user base)

- get rid of cortana (that's it. Truly getting rid caps you at 10% market share)

- get rid of notification center (moar OS tweaking...)

- install Anti-Beacon: assuming your OS is spyware, and then deciding to keep it anyways by getting a tool you have to find out about first, are two steps that most users won't make. It's not like Spybot adds will show up in your W10 notification area...

- A list of constant changes and registry tweaks (registry tweaks ffs) that goes on and on...

If that's what it takes to enjoy Windows 10, the answer is easy: 90% of the users simply can't do it, 7% is already doing all that and more in their Linux distros, and the remaining 3% wants to spend their time using their computers, not endlessly setting them up :P 

Don't have any issues with Windows 10 though. Some small percentages will always change, I wonder how will it be in like year and two with statistics. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

28 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

It really doesnt take that much time, specially when you consider we all stay good portion of our day on it, it is like being a taxi driver and find excuse not to ever wash the car because of no time, it just doesnt feel right to me.

Also I did say it isn't an exact copy, the idea wasn't make it identical if it was then yah I'd just reinstall Win7Ultimate and be done, no the deal here is that Win10 can still be a lot alike Win7, like A lot while in deed feeling like an enhanced version, and honestly at least with my programs and such Win10 does run better.

this is my shitty laptop's desktop right now, do tell me it isn't as like as possible with Win7, I did delete every single "apps" Photos, Groove Music etc those are all junk, replaced with the good and old MPC-HC and Windows Photo Viewer, the only app worth keeping was skype Preview thanks to its night theme [use it for work, for friends is discord already hehe].

Reveal hidden contents

L0QdpeP.png

Yes, it doesn't take that much time, but the time it takes is too long for some people. Remember most people are lazy.

Also really like what you did with setup.

@Princess Cadence Thank you, please take your time. I will probably go to bed soon (timezones), so I won't answer right away. Your help is much appreciated :) 

I get why people want W7, it is a really nice OS, but TBH W10 has been pretty solid for me and I want support for DX12, then again I don't normally have issues with any OS.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

7 minutes ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

-

What can I say, I am a tech savvy, I find rather enjoyable making my operating system operate how I want it to, the spybot beacon is just a reliable tool to get microsoft stop spying hehe.

I also still prefer Windows over Linux, it is all about personal preferences right? If the user finds time to complain but not to go through the tweaking part well that's it's problem... No wonder the first thing my HTML/css teacher said at college is that to treat the user as if he is dumb as a door, you have to chew it all for him, he is right a lot of people indeed don't bother nor have the patience but then again we are all supposedly tech enthusiastic here, that kind of thing shouldn't be tough for us hehe.

Cheers

Personal Desktop":

Its personal preference tbh. I've tried windows 10 and its ugly as hell and it feels like a god dam tablet lol. Sticking to windows 7 which feels like a desktop to me. Ive had one of the most horrible experiences ever after when windows 10 first came out.  It was that i had to sit at my wifes pc and install that crap plus put some of her software on it. She was lucky the monitor didn't go out of the window with the pc after it lol. 

8 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

What can I say, I am a tech savvy, I find rather enjoyable making my operating system operate how I want it to, the spybot beacon is just a reliable tool to get microsoft stop spying hehe.

I also still prefer Windows over Linux, it is all about personal preferences right? If the user finds time to complain but not to go through the tweaking part well that's it's problem... No wonder the first thing my HTML/css teacher said at college is that to treat the user as if he is dumb as a door, you have to chew it all for him, he is right a lot of people indeed don't bother nor have the patience but then again we are all supposedly tech enthusiastic here, that kind of thing shouldn't be tough for us hehe.

Cheers

I even have anti-beacon in Windows 7 :P 

I wasn't trying to argue against what you did, and if I eventually install Win 10 somewhere I'll surely check your post again before even get started. I was focusing more on why the broader market may complain about or desist from Windows 10 rather than tweaking it ;) 

4 minutes ago, IceCold008 said:

Its personal preference tbh. I've tried windows 10 and its ugly as hell and it feels like a god dam tablet lol. Sticking to windows 7 which feels like a desktop to me. Ive had one of the most horrible experiences ever after when windows 10 first came out.  It was that i had to sit at my wifes pc and install that crap plus put some of her software on it. She was lucky the monitor didn't go out of the window with the pc after it lol. 

True. Imo they made way too many animations, many of them feel too slow as well.

When Windows 7 dies, Windows 10 will have market share boosted.

When people buy Windows Augmented and Virtual Reality headsets, Windows 10 market share will be boosted.

I don't exactly trust Steam's hardware numbers for OSes for a long laundry list of reasons.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Still Windows 7 here. No plan pn switching to 10. Im stuck with 16gb which is fine. Only a couple times ive used over 12gb of ram. 

I want to try that thing Linus showed us with Windows 8 enterprise hacked to be windows 7.. that seems cool. 

1 hour ago, Delicieuxz said:

All that means is that newer CPU features won't be back-added by Microsoft into earlier Windows OSes - but new CPUs still run fine on older Windows OSes, and the drivers from Windows 10 might even be able to be installed on earlier Windows OSes.

Maybe for desktops, but on the laptop side of things, I've had no luck finding windows 8.1 versions of drivers, so windows 10 is pretty forced at this point.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

1 hour ago, Princess Cadence said:

With that said I do not understand why don't more people bother themselves editing their operating system to their liking, it is not that hard and very rewarding, instead they go back to "outdated" ones without any need.

It's very hard. Changing the default browser is a challenge for a large amount of people. Asking them to tinker even more with their OS which they really don't understand is crazy talk.

My posts are in a constant state of editing :)

CPU: i7-4790k @ 4.7Ghz MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximums VII Hero  GPU: Asus GTX 780ti Directcu ii SLI RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair 450D Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB, WD Black 1TB Cooling: Corsair H100i with Noctua fans Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift

laptop

Some ASUS model. Has a GT 550M, i7-2630QM, 4GB or ram and a WD Black SSD/HDD drive. MacBook Pro 13" base model
Apple stuff from over the years
iPhone 5 64GB, iPad air 128GB, iPod Touch 32GB 3rd Gen and an iPod nano 4GB 3rd Gen. Both the touch and nano are working perfectly as far as I can tell :)

@Princess Cadence do you mind forwarding the info you sent to jnkokseby to me please or if you had time you could make an guide out of it as a lot of people could find it very useful having it all in one article.

Thanks

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

What are you looking for?

2 hours ago, pipnina said:

I feel like I'm letting the team down with my Win10 laptop... At least my desktop has 7 on it. 

I can understand why people are leaving 10, though. Windows 10 is the epitome of "The user is the product". If the Nvidia drivers for Linux didn't decide to under clock my 965m to 135MHz whenever a game opened, I could use Linux nearly full-time on that machine...

I will always like this video. It's become a decent meme in my group chats.

I didn't know nVIDIA were that bad to work with in that sense. How is AMD in comparison for them to work with? Does AMD have better optimization?

Windows 10 overtook 7 a long time ago, and good riddance. If people want to mess about in a 7 year old obsolete OS, it's their own problems. Just be aware that the scheduler fix for RYzen won't get there, neither will support for any new CPU arch. Just let it die already.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

3 hours ago, Delicieuxz said:

DX 12 has turned out to be a big dud, so far. Most games actually lose performance when using it, and there's also Vulkan, which does the same thing as Windows 10 and runs on everything going back to Windows XP. I read of one developer who recently scrapped their DX 12 efforts in favour of starting work on Vulkan, because DX 12 offered nothing over Vulkan, while Vulkan offered much over DX 12, being multi-platform, and open source. Also, the vast majority of gamers currently have Nvidia GPUs, which so far don't benefit from DX 12 or Vulkan.

False. More games gain fps than they lose, especially with AMD cards. I'm not talking about just catching up to Nvidia's dx 11 performance. The 480 outperforms the 1060 in all the games below in the "gain" section, except ROTTR, no matter what API is used. Most big reviewers aren't retesting games after patches. Smaller youtube channels, tech forums and reddit keep doing them. Nvidia's inferior low level API architecture should not be a reason to declare dx 12 as bad. I have no dog in the dx 12 vs Vulkan fight, but the fact of the matter is that dx 12 is doing what it promised for the most part when used on proper hardware.

Gain

ROTTR

The Division

Hitman 2016

Ashes of the Singularity

Total War: Warhammer

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided

Civilization 6

Sniper Elite 4

Lose

Battlefield 1

Quantum Break

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

i find that windows 7 search results find items on my pc more frequently by a large margin over windows 10

but im set up and cozy on windows 10

maybe my next reinstall is windows 7..

hey, i get less blue screens :) 

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

1 hour ago, TheKDub said:

but on the laptop side of things, I've had no luck finding windows 8.1 versions of drivers

What laptop are we talking about?  If you can get an exact list of which parts it uses, it may be possible to source the drivers from the parts' manufacturer.  Also other brands may use the same parts in some of their models and have 8.1 drivers in their own download section.

Just now, Captain Chaos said:

What laptop are we talking about?  If you can get an exact list of which parts it uses, it may be possible to source the drivers from the parts' manufacturer.  Also other brands may use the same parts in some of their models and have 8.1 drivers in their own download section.

Lenovo Yoga 710-15IKB
i5 7200U, 8GB of DDR4 RAM, 256GB Samsung M.2 SSD, 1080p IPS display, GTX 940MX GPU.
As for the rest of the internals, that's the real question. The WIFI card was some qualcomm card that has no windows 8.1 drivers from what I could find.

Then there's all the lenovo specific stuff with the yoga function (360* hinge and all the stuff with that), as well as the touchscreen.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

3 hours ago, SamStrecker said:

Lol I don't like windows 10 but there is no other choice for DX12

The opposite: Don't know a single DX12 title without a DX11 version that's almost as fast. 

-------

Current Rig

-------