How good is the new Wraith Spire?

So hello guys I'm planning on getting a new PC (I actually still would love some advice as you can see https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/747322-i-need-advice-for-my-first-pc-build-any-thoughts-on-what-i-could-improve/#comment-9464827) and this thing should be Ryzen powered because I wanna do Video editing and stuff. Now is my question should I get an alternative cooler, or is the included Wraith Spire one actually decent enough for normal usage and probably even overclocking (but not sure yet because I've never overclocked and have no idea how to not fuck things up). Has anyone made any experience with the cooler and what cooler would you recommend if this one's not enough? 

Thank you guys for any help - Ray

i dont think anyone has recived their R7 1700 yet so i doubt there is any into on it yet

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

im still looking for temp and overclock benchmarks on this processor and cooler. i read somewhere the cooler is rated up to 95W but cant get something i can use as a proper reference to that claim. Give the stock cooler a go it wont cost you anything

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

Just now, Bananasplit_00 said:

i dont think anyone has recived their R7 1700 yet so i doubt there is any into on it yet

phoronix went out and bought one but he only does linux reviews and the temp sensors on his board are not yet available on linux

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=amd-ryzen-1700&num=1

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

Just now, Bananasplit_00 said:

Oh, wait that actually seems logic. I completely forgot. Because I live in Switzerland it's always hard to remember if anything got shipped in other countries yet. Sometimes things are in our shops like months later and sometimes right on the release date, I don't always get it. 

1 minute ago, RayJW said:

Oh, wait that actually seems logic. I completely forgot. Because I live in Switzerland it's always hard to remember if anything got shipped in other countries yet. Sometimes things are in our shops like months later and sometimes right on the release date, I don't always get it. 

most people should have them within the next week so the wait shouldent be too long for you anyway

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

3 minutes ago, SCHISCHKA said:

im still looking for temp and overclock benchmarks on this processor and cooler. i read somewhere the cooler is rated up to 95W but cant get something i can use as a proper reference to that claim. Give the stock cooler a go it wont cost you anything

Ok, good to know that I am not the only one searching. I've seen this one review of it (http://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-7-1700-3dmark-multithreaded-benchmarks-leaked/) but it seems pretty shady to me. No temperatures is the big problem to me because I think that 1GHz improvement is pretty impressive for a stock cooler. I'll let you know if I find anything else. 

hey it has rgb so it can't be bad ;)

/joke

GUITAR BUILD LOG FROM SCRATCH OUT OF APPLEWOOD

- Ryzen Build -

R5 3600 | MSI X470 Gaming Plus MAX | 16GB CL16 3200MHz Corsair LPX | Dark Rock 4

MSI 2060 Super Gaming X

1TB Intel 660p | 250GB Kingston A2000 | 1TB Seagate Barracuda | 2TB WD Blue

be quiet! Silent Base 601 | be quiet! Straight Power 550W CM

2x Dell UP2516D

- First System (Retired) -

Intel Xeon 1231v3 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport Dual Channel | Gigabyte H97 D3H | Gigabyte GTX 970 Gaming G1 | 525 GB Crucial MX 300 | 1 TB + 2 TB Seagate HDD
be quiet! 500W Straight Power E10 CM | be quiet! Silent Base 800 with stock fans | be quiet! Dark Rock Advanced C1 | 2x Dell UP2516D

Reviews: be quiet! Silent Base 800 | MSI GTX 950 OC

Just now, 19_blackie_73 said:

hey it has rgb so it can't be bad ;)

/joke

Well... i guess so xD

Ok, good to know that I am not the only one searching. I've seen this one review of it (http://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-7-1700-3dmark-multithreaded-benchmarks-leaked/) but it seems pretty shady to me. No temperatures is the big problem to me because I think that 1GHz improvement is pretty impressive for a stock cooler. I'll let you know if I find anything else. 

ill believe it can gain 25% speed; is my math right or is it 33%? I want confirmation it really is 65W TDP coz there are fanless solutions that max out at 65W TDP and that will be awesome to have a true silent 8 core machine

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

3 minutes ago, SCHISCHKA said:

ill believe it can gain 25% speed; is my math right or is it 33%? I want confirmation it really is 65W TDP coz there are fanless solutions that max out at 65W TDP and that will be awesome to have a true silent 8 core machine

Yes, this is indeed an increase of 33,3%. If the stock cooler I capable of overclocking like this I would be really, really, really impressed. 

19 minutes ago, RayJW said:

So hello guys I'm planning on getting a new PC (I actually still would love some advice as you can see https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/747322-i-need-advice-for-my-first-pc-build-any-thoughts-on-what-i-could-improve/#comment-9464827) and this thing should be Ryzen powered because I wanna do Video editing and stuff. Now is my question should I get an alternative cooler, or is the included Wraith Spire one actually decent enough for normal usage and probably even overclocking (but not sure yet because I've never overclocked and have no idea how to not fuck things up). Has anyone made any experience with the cooler and what cooler would you recommend if this one's not enough? 

Thank you guys for any help - Ray

WAIT! You game at 1080p! Don't get Ryzen, it is terrible for 1080p! Get a 5820K/6800K instead!

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

3 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

WAIT! You game at 1080p! Don't get Ryzen, it is terrible for 1080p! Get a 5820K/6800K instead!

This is much better:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K 3.3GHz 6-Core Processor  ($378.50 @ Jet) 
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($24.88 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: ASRock X99 Extreme4 ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard  ($163.98 @ Newegg) 
Memory: GeIL SUPER LUCE 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($129.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Intel 600p Series 512GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  ($179.99 @ Newegg) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 8GB WINDFORCE OC 8G Video Card  ($539.99 @ Amazon) 
Case: NZXT S340 (Black/Red) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($66.99 @ NCIX US) 
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($88.89 @ OutletPC) 
Total: $1573.21
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-03-04 16:06 EST-0500

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

Just now, PCGuy_5960 said:

I am aware of that problem. But first, there will be an improvement as soon as games get optimized and second I probably wanna upgrade in the future and third I get it for the 4K editing, rendering, and photo editing as well. So I really like the multithread performance of Ryzen. 

Just now, RayJW said:

as soon as games get optimized

I don't trust AMD on this one... They said the same for Bulldozer and we all know how that went...

second I probably wanna upgrade in the future

X99 is more "futureproof"... The 6950X will be dirt cheap on ebay in 2-3 years

2 minutes ago, RayJW said:

third I get it for the 4K editing, rendering, and photo editing as well.

Do you use Adobe?

1 minute ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

X99 is more "futureproof"... The 6950X will be dirt cheap on ebay in 2-3 years

I actually meant that I probably wanna upgrade to 4K or WQHD gaming in the future. 

2 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Do you use Adobe?

Yes, I do indeed us Photoshop, After Effects and Premiere Pro. 

Just now, RayJW said:

Yes, I do indeed us Photoshop, After Effects and Premiere Pro. 

AFAIK, Adobe loves clock speed... So you will not lose much performance in those tasks if you get a 5820K, but you will gain a lot of performance in games...

I actually meant that I probably wanna upgrade to 4K or WQHD gaming in the future. 

But, you do have to think that GPUs will become more powerful as well...

2 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

But, you do have to think that GPUs will become more powerful as well...

Yes, this is why I think I should be on the safe site for some time with the GTX 1080. 

Just now, RayJW said:

Yes, this is why I think I should be on the safe site for some time with the GTX 1080. 

Yes... I strongly advise you to get a 5820K, because of its gaming performance, but the choice is really up to you :D

Just now, PCGuy_5960 said:

Yes... I strongly advise you to get a 5820K, because of its gaming performance, but the choice is really up to you :D

https://de.pcpartpicker.com/list/3rwQ6X, well what do you think about this build? It's an old one I made some time ago. Gimme some time and I'm gonna make a final version one of them. 

17 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

https://de.pcpartpicker.com/user/RayJW/saved/fbzK8d, this is what I probably would go for right now. But btw, do I have to worry about this: The motherboard M.2 slot #0 shares bandwidth with a SATA 6.0 Gb/s port. When the M.2 slot is populated, one SATA 6Gb/s port is disabled. ?

2 minutes ago, RayJW said:

https://de.pcpartpicker.com/user/RayJW/saved/fbzK8d, this is what I probably would go for right now. But btw, do I have to worry about this: The motherboard M.2 slot #0 shares bandwidth with a SATA 6.0 Gb/s port. When the M.2 slot is populated, one SATA 6Gb/s port is disabled. ?

For gaming this is much better... If you want a better CPU for productivity, get the 5820K/6800K

3 minutes ago, RayJW said:

When the M.2 slot is populated, one SATA 6Gb/s port is disabled. ?

Yes AFAIK

17 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Yes AFAIK

Ok, I switched the MOBO to a Gigabyte GA-Z170MX-Gaming 5 Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard then. I'm not sure yet. I'll probably get my PC in like 2-3 months because of all the price drops incoming for the GTX 1080 and probably the Intel Processors. If 1080p gaming won't get better with the Ryzen I'll pick the Intel system, if I will see improvement in performance for 1080p gaming I'll stick with the Ryzen build I think. 

If your goal is a production pc on a budget ryzen is very interesting. The Intel x99 platform is an excellent platform with more pic-e lanes but intel changes chipsets often also its pricey.  Ryzen x370 claims to provide support for up to ryzen 2 meaning it potentially has more life In the ryzen chipset than x99 though I predict a more advanced version to be released with ryzen 2 also optimization may or may not occur but gaming results I have seen are still fair.

I recommend both but am looking forward to the possibilities of ryzen so I'm also fence sitting atm also look at this naturally you probably seen it

Edited by inalitsusasi
more information