LTT Nintendo Switch Review

LinusTech

I would like to see a recommendation of battery banks for the switch, you know best performing best deal kinda stuff.

Don't care about the switch but to backup what Luke said about Zelda...

It is without any question the best I have played in a very very very long time. I play lots of games, I buy lots of games and I would have to go back to when my mum bought me DKC2 on the SNES to remember when I was this excited to play a game. I was up till 3am last night playing it, I woke up at 8am this morning and the first thought in my mind was that I gotta go trade my orbs in for another heart container so I can have another go at the first divine beast.

Its just incredible.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

10 hours ago, LeapFrogMasterRace said:

Also what is up with them re-releasing Mario Kart and Splatoon, are they trying to make this console not sell?

Because the Wii U didn't sell particularly well and as a result Mario Kart 8, while having an insane attach rate on Wii U, was one of the worst selling entries in the series. Mario Kart 7 sold 13mill, Mario Kart 64 sold 10mill, Mario Kart Wii sold 35mill but Mario Kart 8 only sold 7mill. Even if none of the people who got it on Wii U get it on the Switch? It's still a multi-million seller. Easily. And you just know that people are going to get it again for the Switch. I mean it is on a portable now and Mario Kart isn't exactly a game you can "finish".

Same deal with Splatoon although technically Splatoon 2 is a sequel. Same deal with Zelda when you think about it. Who would even remotely care about the Switch on day 1 if Zelda wasn't a launch title? That's a Wii U port and really, nobody cares that it's a Wii U port.

Fools think they know everything, experts know they know nothing

8 hours ago, Technicolors said:

Zelda botw runs at 900p in docked mode, i believe. 

---

as for the video:

- 1, 2 switch should have been bundled with the Switch at no extra cost. to charge $60 for it is pretty harsh 

- the charging port location.. wished it was at the top, or anywhere that isn't the bottom. maybe that could be fixed with a 3rd party case, a special stand (replacing the tablet stand), or as Luke mentioned, a 3d printed object 

There is an officially licensed stand I believe it's called the play stand made by hori the guys that make almost everything for Nintendo even there controllers that lets you charge in table top mode best bit is it's not super expensive like most Nintendo licensed acessorys  IMG_2863.PNG

I lurk a lot

10 minutes ago, peej said:

There is an officially licensed stand I believe it's called the play stand made by hori the guys that make almost everything for Nintendo even there controllers that lets you charge in table top mode best bit is it's not super expensive like most Nintendo licensed acessorys  

that's pretty nice. cheap as well. i think this is a must for people who are going to use portable mode often. 

I was really hyped for the switch when it was first announced, but now I'm more like... meh. 

Don't get me wrong, it's really cool from an innovation standpoint, but it seems kinda half assed at the same time (the right controller among other things).

I would much rather prefer that Nintendo got back to their "roots", with a pure living room console and a portable console instead of a console which is good at neither of things - a Gamecube on steriods of sorts. 

but I'll probably buy it anyway (after the game library get a bit more fleshed out)     

I swear they put some of these design flaws in on purpose so they can justify revising it and sell millions of more units. I look forward to the New Switch which'll have the charging port on top and will have new ergonomic joycons 2.0. I might actually buy that one.

9 hours ago, skywake said:

Because the Wii U didn't sell particularly well and as a result Mario Kart 8, while having an insane attach rate on Wii U, was one of the worst selling entries in the series. Mario Kart 7 sold 13mill, Mario Kart 64 sold 10mill, Mario Kart Wii sold 35mill but Mario Kart 8 only sold 7mill. Even if none of the people who got it on Wii U get it on the Switch? It's still a multi-million seller. Easily. And you just know that people are going to get it again for the Switch. I mean it is on a portable now and Mario Kart isn't exactly a game you can "finish".

Same deal with Splatoon although technically Splatoon 2 is a sequel. Same deal with Zelda when you think about it. Who would even remotely care about the Switch on day 1 if Zelda wasn't a launch title? That's a Wii U port and really, nobody cares that it's a Wii U port.

Yes I definitely see the logic behind it but as someone who does own a Wii U and Mario Kart 8 I find it disappointing and it makes me unwilling to ever "re-buy" it. Zelda is different because of the release date. Mario Kart 8 was made almost 3 years ago. Plenty of time to make a new one instead of being cheap. ultimately making a crappy Switch line up imo.

I've had my switch a whopping 15 hours now and I'm in very much disagreement from what Luke said, the controls are just fine the right analog sick doesn't really get in the way, only as much as it does on a Xbox one controller, make sure when you plug in to charge if you're not using the dock to use something with a 5v 2.1a output I just used a £5 Anker USB C cable from Amazon and my iPad charger plug and this provides the console with a enough juice to play and charge where as if you use a lower apmerage plug it will just go in as quick as it comes out. I am so far loving this console I've spent the whole day and all evening playing breath of the wild and my hands are less cramped than when I used to play WoW 10 Years ago for 16 hours+ straight. 

Three things I'm going to invest in; a case for the switch if I take it out and about, a screen protector (I've heard people have had there's scratched just from putting the console in the dock) and some more USB c chargers 

I lurk a lot

@peej

I agree, after using the system for a bit you get used to the controls. They're not the best controls ever but for a system that's portable with two controllers it's not bad. If anything I'm wondering whether or not I should even bother getting the Pro Controller. 

17 hours ago, LeapFrogMasterRace said:

Yes I definitely see the logic behind it but as someone who does own a Wii U and Mario Kart 8 I find it disappointing and it makes me unwilling to ever "re-buy" it. Zelda is different because of the release date. Mario Kart 8 was made almost 3 years ago. Plenty of time to make a new one instead of being cheap. ultimately making a crappy Switch line up imo.

Well look at my avatar, obviously I'm a pretty big fan of the series. But lets be honest here, what can they add to Mario Kart 8? It's a decent looking version of Mario Kart where the only major flaw was the fact that it lacked battle mode. Frankly as someone who also has Mario Kart 8 on the Wii U I couldn't care less that it's the same game. I just want a Mario Kart that looks decent and performs which I'll now be able to have on a portable system. In an ideal world they would have added a bunch of new tracks but if it means I can get a Mario Kart sooner? Meh.

Same deal with Smash Bros if they end up just doing a port of the Wii U version. If it's literally the same game but with the DLC characters and maybe a couple of extra bits? That's fine by me.

Fools think they know everything, experts know they know nothing

1 hour ago, skywake said:

@peej

I agree, after using the system for a bit you get used to the controls. They're not the best controls ever but for a system that's portable with two controllers it's not bad. If anything I'm wondering whether or not I should even bother getting the Pro Controller. 

Well look at my avatar, obviously I'm a pretty big fan of the series. But lets be honest here, what can they add to Mario Kart 8? It's a decent looking version of Mario Kart where the only major flaw was the fact that it lacked battle mode. Frankly as someone who also has Mario Kart 8 on the Wii U I couldn't care less that it's the same game. I just want a Mario Kart that looks decent and performs which I'll now be able to have on a portable system. In an ideal world they would have added a bunch of new tracks but if it means I can get a Mario Kart sooner? Meh.

Same deal with Smash Bros if they end up just doing a port of the Wii U version. If it's literally the same game but with the DLC characters and maybe a couple of extra bits? That's fine by me.

im not going to bother with the pro controller certainly not at the moment maybe if its on sale for £30 my favorite way to play when on the tv is just with the joyconns loose in my hands and honestly i played it like that fo about 6 hours yesterday and didnt get the slightest sign of cramp, and this is coiming from someone with rsi in right index finger and thumb 

I lurk a lot