LTT Nintendo Switch Review

LinusTech

#LinusSwitchItUpTips

edit: whats with posting it publicly to youtube before posting here? the whole reason I joined these forums was the early access.

Just a longer version of this?

The switch reminded me that I've never seen <30 fps for a while.

【=◈︿◈=】

\\ CPU i7-6700k @ 4.4ghz(1.26v) \\ GPU | 1070 FE 8GB  // Audio FiiO E10k / AT M50X //

\\ Monitor | LG 29UM69G-B \\ Phone LG G6 H870DS // Nintendo Switch //

2 minutes ago, Daniel644 said:

the whole reason I joined these forums was the early access.

there is FPC if you don't like it

3 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

there is FPC if you don't like it

so I should now pay money for earlier access? no thanks. I'll just quit watching and unsubscribe like I did to ChannelSuperFun

but I like roller coasters :(

1 minute ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

if-you-re-good-at-something-never-do-it-for-free.jpg

they make money off of views on youtube. but whatever i'm done.

I'm slightly confused about what you meant with the SD Card storage.

Do you mean you can fully backup your games to the SD card and not require use of a cartridge?

Or do you mean that the system lets you download games to it? Doesn't the Wii and 3DS already have the latter feature And both used SD cards ?

8 minutes ago, TechRes said:

I'm slightly confused about what you meant with the SD Card storage.

Do you mean you can fully backup your games to the SD card and not require use of a cartridge?

Or do you mean that the system lets you download games to it? Doesn't the Wii and 3DS already have the latter feature And both used SD cards ?

He means that you can download games off the eShop to a microSD card, similar to the 3DS. The Wii U only officially supported downloading games to an external drive, which is why it's worth noting for the Switch.

48 minutes ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

-snip=

Wait, they're good at it? 

20 minutes ago, potoooooooo said:

I'm gonna be that guy. Server vlog pt.3 ETA?

sometime this week, based on what was stated in the WAN Show.

Thanks @Caleb10E 

A question that I've got that no one has yet seemed to ask. 

Does the console support use of external sound output other than HDMI? 

E.g. in my case my monitor doesn't have speakers so I use external speakers/headset for my sound, which works fine on PC/Mac/PS4. 

Ok so the end of the video says it doesn't support external sound/headsets, however others said there is a 3.5mm jack so I guess I should be fine. 

But does that work in docked mode? Even at weird angles? 

dont know what that was all about with the sd cards? the 3ds has sd card slot i for one have a 64gb micro sd in my 3ds and buy all my games as digital downloads however even so i think with the switch i will be buying the majority of my games on carts mainly just because of the price even now on amazon zelda is already less than rrp by about £5 and 1 2 switch is like £10 cheaper than rrp as well gues there is the same argument for the 3ds but i dont envision taking this out the house that much im seeing the portable mode more as a its 1am go to bed type deal either way i cant wait for my switch to arrive tomorrow (i only bought one this morning after playing lastnight at a friends)

I lurk a lot

Do the Switch controllers work also on PC ? i dont remember if LTT has done this but would be nice to see comparison of console controllers on PC basically which console controller would good buddy for keyboard and mouse.

Breath of the wild runs like poop in docked mode.

Spoiler

I agree it's unique but there are too many things not thought of that will prevent me from buying this console. Also what is up with them re-releasing Mario Kart and Splatoon, are they trying to make this console not sell?

LOL at the "Buy Nintendo Switch on Amazon" link! IF you feel like feeding the scalpers, go right ahead. xD

Good review... I just want to let you know, when docked, the Switch is doing 1080p, not 720.

Currently focusing on my video game collection.

It doesn't matter what you play games on, just play good games you enjoy.

1 hour ago, kaiju_wars said:

Good review... I just want to let you know, when docked, the Switch is doing 1080p, not 720.

Zelda botw runs at 900p in docked mode, i believe. 

---

as for the video:

- 1, 2 switch should have been bundled with the Switch at no extra cost. to charge $60 for it is pretty harsh 

- the charging port location.. wished it was at the top, or anywhere that isn't the bottom. maybe that could be fixed with a 3rd party case, a special stand (replacing the tablet stand), or as Luke mentioned, a 3d printed object 

1 minute ago, Technicolors said:

Zelda botw runs at 900p in docked mode, i believe. 

---

as for the video:

- 1, 2 switch should have been bundled with the Switch at no extra cost. to charge $60 for it is pretty harsh 

- the charging port location.. wished it was at the top, or anywhere that isn't the bottom. maybe that could be fixed with a 3rd party case, a special stand (replacing the tablet stand), or as Luke mentioned, a 3d printed object 

I usually like charging ports on the bottom, maybe when I have more hands on experience my opinion will be different.

And yes, 1-2 Switch should of been bundled, just like how the Wii and Wii U got a bundled demo game.

Also, iirc, Nintendo said that Legend of Zelda runs at 1080p for both the Wii U and Switch.

Currently focusing on my video game collection.

It doesn't matter what you play games on, just play good games you enjoy.

Just now, kaiju_wars said:

Also, iirc, Nintendo said that Legend of Zelda runs at 1080p for both the Wii U and Switch.

eurogamer confirms zelda runs at 900p in switch docked mode, 720p in portable, 720p for wii u

Doesn't the Switch run at a lower clock speed to produce 720p on the go, then run at full clock speed when docked to output 1080p to your TV? 720p would be a downgrade from the Wii U's 1080p.