Moving computer around

Nashiwa

Hey guys!

So in a month I'm moving out of my current place, so I need to move my desktop from the current house to the new apartment. My built is as follows : https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Nashiwa/saved/tfZ8dC

What would be the safest way to move it? I have access to either a car or public transportation, and what I was planning to do was unplug the graphics card, then put the case in a luggage and wrap it in clothes, then take the bus to the new place. For the monitor I can simply put it back in its box and move it by car, it has less moving parts so there should be less problems. I know I should probably remove the heat sink too, but I'm too lazy to buy and reapply some thermal paste.

I wouldn't worry about your pc breaking when moving it. I've moved my rig mutiple times in the back of a car and it all went fine. If you're moving with the bus your idea is fine. Altrough wrapping it isn't really necessary. But I recommend to move your whole pc in 1 time in the car. Your don't need to remove the heatsink.

Main PC:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | RAM:Corsair LPX 3200 mhz (16Gb) 

Mobo:ASUS Strix B550-F Wifi | GPU: MSI RTX 2070 Gaming Z

Case: Sharkoon Nightshark RGB| Storage: 500 GB 970 EVO Plus 1 TB WD blue 500 GB Samsung HDD

Monitor: iiyama G-Master G2470HSU-B1 165Hz

Powersupply: Be Quiet straight Power 10 500 watt

Main Laptop

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 4800H | RAM: Team group 16 GB 2666 mhz

GPU: RTX 2060 (MXM swappable)

Monitor: 1080p 120Hz

Storage: 2x 1 TB Samsung 970 EVO NVMe (no raid)

Second Laptop

CPU: Intel Core I5 1235u,  RAM: Samsung 8 GB 3200 mhz

GPU: IrisXe 80 eu

Storage: 512 GB WD Digital SN530 NVMe

Phone:

Xiaomi MI 11

Work Phone:

Galaxy A50

I've always just seat belted the tower into the passenger seat or pinched it between the front and back seat. just watch out for pot holes and shit, if you're super concerned fill it full of packing peanuts or something or lay it on it's back so the heatsink and GPU are pointing up.

I drove with a pc hooked up in my kenworth t600 semi and had no issues with anything. 

Current Build

AMD Ryzen 2600

Stock cooler

Asus ROG B450f gaming Mobo

1tb SKHynix m.2

WD 1TB HDD

Asus ROG Strix RX 5700xt

Thermaltake Toughpower 650w DPS RGB 80+Gold

16 Gigs ddr4 3000 gskill ram

Phantek fans

Phanteks P400TG

Laptop

Eluktronics Prometheus XVII

Ryzen 7 5800h

32 gigs ddr4 Corsair ram

Nvidia rtx 3080 max-p

17.3 qhd 165 hrz screen

1tb Samsung m.2

1tb WD black m.2

On an unrelated note, how do you like that monitor? 

Corsair 4000D RGB

Asus B550 Tuf Gaming II

Asus 7700XT Tuf Gaming

AMD 5600x3d

32gb 3200mhz gskil 

I suggest just leaving it in the back of your car or on the passenger seat if it is heavy enough put a pillow underneath it in case you go over a bump, but apart from that, it should not get damaged! Iv successfully moved about 4 computers in my car with no problems! 

9 hours ago, BadluckBrian said:

On an unrelated note, how do you like that monitor? 

Love it, it's my first gaming monitor ever (I've only had laptops until then) and I think it's great, the picture quality is good and the 144hz refresh rate is definitely visible in games.

Thank you guys for all your suggestions, I guess I'll either use the car or stick with my previous plan.

17 hours ago, Nashiwa said:

Hey guys!

So in a month I'm moving out of my current place, so I need to move my desktop from the current house to the new apartment. My built is as follows : https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Nashiwa/saved/tfZ8dC

What would be the safest way to move it? I have access to either a car or public transportation, and what I was planning to do was unplug the graphics card, then put the case in a luggage and wrap it in clothes, then take the bus to the new place. For the monitor I can simply put it back in its box and move it by car, it has less moving parts so there should be less problems. I know I should probably remove the heat sink too, but I'm too lazy to buy and reapply some thermal paste.

You might remove the CPU cooler as well as the Graphics card. This way you dont put a shit ton of stress on your mother board. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

I moved my PC across the country (from Arizona to Illinois) in the trunk of my car and everything went fine. I would recommend taking the GPU and any other PCIe things out of their slots so you don't put stress on the mobo. I laid mine down on it's back (with  the cpu facing upwards) and made sure it was packed in such away that it had padding and was stable enough it wasn't going to slide around the car.

I tend to grab a few boxes from the local Supermarket, and some rolls of bubble wrap from eBay beforehand, place the PC in the lower box add some bubble wrap, then place the top box over and tape the two together with good old duct tape.   

PC - NZXT H510 Elite, Ryzen 5600, 16GB DDR3200 2x8GB, EVGA 3070 FTW3 Ultra, Asus VG278HQ 165hz,

Mac - 1.4ghz i5, 4GB DDR3 1600mhz, Intel HD 5000.  x2

Endlessly wishing for a BBQ in space.

I moved my PC by car a few times, I always keep the case's original box so packing was a breeze and my father tripped the box over while moving it and with the cpu cooler and gpu in place (Hyper 212 and GTX 560 Ti at the time) everything was fine but doesn't mean you should let it as it is. Do dismount the heavy stuff it's much safer. 

Belt it in. I've transported many computers that way, it always works out. :)

i7 2600k @ 5GHz 1.49v - EVGA GTX 1070 ACX 3.0 - 16GB DDR3 2000MHz Corsair Vengence

Asus p8z77-v lk - 480GB Samsung 870 EVO w/ W10 LTSC - 2x1TB HDD storage - 240GB SATA SSD w/ W7 - EVGA 650w 80+G G2

3x 1080p 60hz Viewsonic LCDs, 1 glorious Dell CRT running at anywhere from 60hz to 120hz

Model M w/ Soarer's adapter - Logitch g502 - Audio-Techinca M20X - Cambridge SoundWorks speakers w/ woofer

Safest way; take apart the entire computer and put each piece in its respective packaging.

Way I've seen and done it;

put computer in a place where it won't bang around a lot and it should be fine.
I put my computer on the floor in the back behind the passenger seat so it's right between 2 seats where it won't move. As for the monitor I put it in the box to transport it.

My friend just put his monitor in a box with other stuff basically just throwing it in; same for the computer. Everything worked fine for him.

Neither of us have the reinforced PCIE lanes. As long as you don't crash you should be fine imo.

Definitely don't move your PC via public transit if you can avoid it. You have a way higher chance of bumping into somebody and dropping it or forgetting something or even getting robbed. I don't know, do you even have criminals in Switzerland? I would move it via car, take the graphics card out as planned, and if you don't plan on taking the cooler out then I'd suggest packing the inside of your case with wadded up paper to provide cushioning. That last part is more than likely going to be unnecessary but you can never be to careful in my opinion. Oh and if there's a lot of potholes on your route to the new place then make sure it's laid down on its side and secured.

Edited by Seamonster420
Forgot something