Windows 10 has reached Adware status

patrick3027

on an old, cleaned up build of W10. I don't mind it actually, anything sensitive I use a linux machine.

M1 MacBook Air 256/8 | iPhone 13 pro

55 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

What do you mean "little tiny bit of effort"? Regardless of how often this happens, or why this happens, it should be unacceptable. I paid for the OS, it data mines me and it still shows me ads? Microsoft isn't double dipping here, they are triple dipping.

I mean let's make sure we have all the facts before we start assuming what is happening - perhaps incorrectly - and start hating them inappropriately.

A perfect example of this is the assumption that this ad is baked in to Windows.  For all we know, it's caused by OneDrive - something that is optional, easy to remove, and might I remind everyone, free.  When was the last time anyone freaked out over voluntarily invoking a free service and then ranting about how insane and evil it is for said service to show an ad?  Never - they understand that in such a situation, this is normal.

Now, in the interest of not becoming one of the assumes, I'd just like to point out that my OneDrive theory is just that - a theory.  For all I know, this ad is baked into Windows and the outcry is justified.  But I think we owe Microsoft the "littler tiny bit of effort" to actually check which it is before we burn down the HQ.

And why is "we need more info" always the response from the Microsoft defense force? No amount of information is ever enough for you. I have even run network logging tools to and showed people and they still go "that doesn't prove anything because the traffic is encrypted! Your argument is invalid!" when debating whether or not Windows 10 was gathering data such as local searches even when explicitly told to not do it.

What are you on about here?  This has nothing to do with networking, and it wouldn't take much information at all for it to be enough...

When it comes to Microsoft, they have really used all their chances of "let''s wait and see if it is bad". They have time and time and time again been objectively and scientifically proven to be huge pieces of shit that do not deserve any defense whatsoever.

I am being completely honest here. I really do not understand how anyone who has even an ounce of common sense and has studied the variety of things Microsoft does in Windows 10 could defend or give Microsoft the benefit out a doubt anymore.

Because as soon as you start assuming that every action is X just based on a series of past ones, you stop thinking and questioning, and start assuming and acting based on guesses and emotion.

So you want Microsoft to boil us like frogs?

They have already done several things which are worth complaining about. The problem is that each time they do it, people like you jump in to defend it so the bar for what is "unacceptable" has been raised time and time again.

I'm not defending them - I don't have enough information to know if they deserve it in this case or not.  If OP turns out to be true, I'd say they don't.

What I'm defending is actual thought and due diligence to make sure we actually know what's happening and why.

Serious question here. Does Microsoft pay you or are you just ignorant of what Windows 10 is and what it does? Those are really the only two explanations I got for why you behave like this. Not trying to be funny or a "hater". I truly believe from the bottom of my heart that those are the only two explanations.

This is like the 5th time since Windows 10 was released that have done something I would consider unacceptable.

Edit: Actually I thought of another reason. That you are a frog that is being boiled. I hope you realize it soon.

xD 

No, but I think if you're read this post until now, you'll see you missed a third option.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Still sitting on my Windows 7 Pro install. I'm glad that MS didn't invalidate my key for it when I tried Windows 10 (and had it fuck up multiple times).

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

1 hour ago, TimeOmnivore said:

I feel like I'm in some kind of exclusive 0.1% of Windows 10 users who has never had any ads on the OS, or any other problems. Maybe because I bought a retail Home version for a new computer, instead of upgrading? I don't know, I'm just glad I don't have to deal with these issues. To any who do, best of luck solving/getting rid of them and I hope Microsoft stops with all the nonsense, soon, though I doubt it.

You're not the only one.

My theory is that some places of the world actually have governments which protect citizens sometimes, hence the lack of ads and moderate telemetry for some of us.

That theory has emerged when an American exchange student had his OS stopping ads when he came to our scoop in France. I'll ask his if it starts again when he'll get back home :)

worth paying $30 on kinguin

hello!

is it me you're looking for?

ᴾC SᴾeCS ᴰoWᴺ ᴮEᴸoW

Spoiler

Desktop: X99-PC

CPU: i7 5820k

Mobo: X99 Deluxe

Cooler: Dark Rock Pro 3

RAM: 32GB DDR4
GPU: GTX 1080

Storage: 1TB 850 Evo, 1TB HDD, bunch of external hard drives
PSU: EVGA G2 750w

Peripherals: Logitech G502, Ducky One 711

Audio: Xonar U7, O2 amplifier (RIP), HD6XX

Monitors: 4k 24" Dell monitor, 1080p 24" Asus monitor

Laptop:

-Overkill Dell XPS

Fully maxed out early 2017 Dell XPS 15, GTX 1050 4GB, 7700HQ, 1TB nvme SSD, 32GB RAM, 4k display. 97Whr battery :x 
Dell was having a $600 off sale for the fully specced out model, so I decided to get it :P

-Crapbook

Fully specced out early 2013 Macbook "pro" with gt 650m and constant 105c temperature on the CPU (GPU is 80-90C) when doing anything intensive...

A 2013 laptop with a regular sized battery still has better battery life than a 2017 laptop with a massive battery! I think this is a testament to apple's ability at making laptops, or maybe how little CPU technology has improved even 4+ years later (at least, until the recent introduction of 15W 4 core CPUs). Anyway, I'm never going to get a 35W CPU laptop again unless battery technology becomes ~5x better than as it is in 2018.

Apple knows how to make proper consumer-grade laptops (they don't know how to make pro laptops though). I guess this mostly software power efficiency related, but getting a mac makes perfect sense if you want a portable/powerful laptop that can do anything you want it to with great battery life.

1 hour ago, NumLock21 said:

Based on personal experience, the OneDrive ad in explorer only appears when you

• Do a clean install with the latest 1607 build.
  • Direct upgrade from build 1511 to 1607 from a ISO image. I haven't tried upgrading to 1607 through windows update, cause it's a waste of time, when I already have the 1607 ISO image.
  • However I did upgrade my other system to build 1607 through windows update about 3-4 months ago and it never had the One Drive ad in explorer. I do know that if I do a clean install on my desktop right now, it's going to have the OneDrive ad.

Edit

Just remembered one more thing, when you do a direct upgrade from build 1511 to 1607. OneDrive will say it something about it needs to update and when you proceed with it, Edge opens up and prompts you to save the updated OneDrive setup file.

Sounds like you've done some serious digging into this.  Are you able to shed any light one way or another on my theory that this ad only shows up if you have OneDrive installed (and possible only if it's running)?

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

14 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Sounds like you've done some serious digging into this.  Are you able to shed any light one way or another on my theory that this ad only shows up if you have OneDrive installed (and possible only if it's running)?

I believe I still have One Drive installed in my desktop that was upgrade to 1607 a few months back. Will check out when I get a chance.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

I can only confirm ... and I am really, really angry.

For this (and some other reasons) I am now in the long process of changing my system and workflow either to Debian or Fedora, I have not decided yet. I am still cursing at some workarounds because of incompatibility of some hardware and software but I have started switching to Linux. When I have everything running most likely I won't bother with Windows (in day to day use) for a long time.

3 hours ago, zMeul said:

cue AluminiumTech defending it in 3...2..

i doubt he can find anything like a defense to this, if anyone can id love to see it. Windows 10 is a pice of shit when it comes to a lot of things but i still find the UI to be the best iv used and its litteraly needed if you ever want to run anything DX12 or new hardware... i really hope DX dies and Vulcan becomes great and we can all just be happy with Linux

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

I my self never got any adds, though after install I did configure the OS how I wanted and stays like that.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

5 hours ago, patrick3027 said:

Seems like some people are now getting OneDrive ads in the file explorer. It is unclear from the current reports online if this is limited to preview builds or not, or if only certain regions are getting the ads. My only source for this news is two reddit screenshots and a thread on 4chan.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/5xec80/is_nothing_sacred_advertisement_for_onedrive_in/

http://boards.4chan.org/g/thread/59233293

The ads can be disabled by going into File Explorer Options > View > Uncheck "Show sync provider notifications".

This is completely unacceptable IMO, Windows 10 isn't free anymore and the current amount of ads in paid software is simply appaling.

This thread is so face palm and cringe inducing.

That may be an AD.

but do you know what triggered the AD?

That is the real question here!

If the AD showed up without the user ever touching OneDrive then that is bad. But if it showed up as a result of using OneDrive then that's fine.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

51 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

But if it showed up as a result of using OneDrive then that's fine.

So if I used a paid program and there is a more expensive version I should get an add for every single one of them? And if I use a free program I should get an add that there is a paid version as well? 

Might as well return to the 90s with so many ads.

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

40 minutes ago, Bouzoo said:

So if I used a paid program and there is a more expensive version I should get an add for every single one of them?

No, you shouldn't, and that's not what's going on here as far as we know.

40 minutes ago, Bouzoo said:

And if I use a free program I should get an add that there is a paid version as well?

Why not?  That's common.

Well, we still don't know for sure what's triggering this ad, but just to continue building on my OneDrive theory and explain it a bit more...

Consider the possibility that that this ad is only showing up because you have OneDrive installed and running.  If that is the case, I say it's totally acceptable.  And before you freak out at me and think I'm insane, consider the following: you don't flip out at Google when you see an ad on a webpage displayed in Chrome.  In both situations, you voluntarily opened/navigated to a program/webpage that was completely optional and provided to you free of charge, and saw an ad. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Now, just to reiterate, if the situation OP showed turns out to be as bad as everyone has just decided to assume it is, then I'm with you; Microsoft should not be pushing ads for their services in Windows like that.  But if it's showing up because of OneDrive, well, imo that's another story.

Bottom line is until someone can shed some more light on which situation we're in here, I think getting ready to yell at Microsoft again is a bit premature.

53 minutes ago, Bouzoo said:

So if I used a paid program and there is a more expensive version I should get an add for every single one of them? And if I use a free program I should get an add that there is a paid version as well? 

Might as well return to the 90s with so many ads.

OneDrive is not necessarily a paid service.

OneDrive has a FREE tier along with paid tiers. I suspect that the user who posted the image was using OneDrive FREE.

I have the paid version of OneDrive through Office and I see no such advertisement.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

1 minute ago, AluminiumTech said:

OneDrive is not totally paid.

OneDrive has a FREE tier. I suspect that the user who posted the image was using OneDrive FREE.

I have the paid version of OneDrive through Office and I see no such advertisement.

using onedrive free

no advertisement so far..

if it starts to advertise, onedrive sees an uninstall. :) 

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

2 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Why not?  That's common.

It's common for programs to show ads about paid/more expensive versions within themselves. It isn't common for programs with paid/more expensive versions to show ads in different parts of Windows.

To clarify: dropbox, Google drive, etc are essentially alternatives to onedrive, and will try sell you paid versions as well, but Windows' file explorer won't show ads from them.

2 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Well, we still don't know for sure what's triggering this ad, but just to continue building on my OneDrive theory and explain it a bit more...

Consider the possibility that that this ad is only showing up because you have OneDrive installed and running.  If that is the case, I say it's totally acceptable.  And before you freak out at me and think I'm insane, consider the following: you don't flip out at Google when you see an ad on a webpage displayed in Chrome.  In both situations, you voluntarily opened/navigated to a program/webpage that was completely optional and provided to you free of charge, and saw an ad. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Now, just to reiterate, if the situation OP showed turns out to be as bad as everyone has just decided to assume it is, then I'm with you; Microsoft should not be pushing ads for their services in Windows like that.  But if it's showing up because of OneDrive, well, imo that's another story.

Bottom line is until someone can shed some more light on which situation we're in here, I think getting ready to yell at Microsoft again is a bit premature.

Everyone has OneDrive installed and running...if you haven't removed it manually. It comes with the freaking OS!!! Having it installed doesn't mean the user agree to receive ads. 

And comparing Ads on  webpages and ads on an OS is not reasonable. Do you genuinely think that advertisements on an operating system is acceptable?

You mentioned OneDrive is free so we shouldn't be complaining about microsoft recommending such a fantastic offer. I think people here are not angry about the nature of the software. It is just ANNOYING. In the same way why people have "no junk mail" sign on their mailboxes. The fliers are free and sometimes useful too. But you don't want someone slam it in your face right?

edit: I feel like I have to mention that, you don't just have OneDrive installed with the windows, but it is baked into the OS heavily it's not even easy to uninstall!!!

It's not in "Programs and Features" nor in "Apps and Features". I am sure if I google enough I will find a way but do you expect majority of windows users to do the same?

(And I just found out I have minecraft pre-installed. Fuck you microsoft. I hope you die a painful death. )

So at this point what would be the point of me buying a licence? An unactivated copy lets me do anything except windows account (meh) and wallpaper switching (Pretty sure Display Fusion would still let you change them though) and if I pay well, I get those but I still get the ads?

Literally no reason to buy a key.

-------

Current Rig

-------

5 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

So at this point what would be the point of me buying a licence? An unactivated copy lets me do anything except windows account (meh) and wallpaper switching (Pretty sure Display Fusion would still let you change them though) and if I pay well, I get those but I still get the ads?

people without a key don't get support from MS for anything regarding Windows.

if you're fine with breaking the Windows EULA and using an evaluation copy of windows as your full time OS then that's your problem.

@Ryan_Vickers

My desktop that was upgraded to bulid 1607 few months back, still has OneDrive installed and it's still running in the startup menu, although I never used it. It does not show the ad inside File Explorer.

I just did a VM on Win10 build 1607. No OneDrive ad at first, ran windows update, some how it froze while it's still downloading, did force restart. After getting back to the desktop, a side notification pop up, with a message about OneDrive offer, similar to the one in the OP but his was in File Explorer. After a few seconds it disappears on its own. As of now, in the VM install of Win10 build 1607, I can't seem to get the OneDrive ad to show up in File Explorer, no matter.

My netbook, which I just formatted and clean install with win10 build 1607 a few days ago, did show the same message in the OP, inside File Explorer.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

15 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

You also cant use DirectX

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Those who know much are aware that they know little. - Slick roasting me

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

Offical first poster LTT V2.0

15 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Oh golly gee! What will I ever do without their god awful support team telling me to plug in my computer.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

1 minute ago, djdwosk97 said:

Oh golly gee! What will I ever do without their god awful support team telling me to plug in my computer.

To be fair, I never got MS support, good or bad, for anything :P 

20 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Oh yeah, I'm gonna lose sleep over that.

-------

Current Rig

-------