Bad practices, Unreliability and other reasons why ypou should NOT get the Floatplane club.

givingtnt

Hi, I want to talk a bit about the floatplane club again. because of all things you should avoid. this one is right up there with Friday.

why ? well its prety simple. the service is unreliable, its full of problems. and they can't even put out content in the right way.

for example : 

on March 1st, on the CSF youtube channel, they released a video called "1-2-switch" about the Nintendo Switch. on the same day as Floatplane club got it. 

ok, sure, time critical releases n stuff. fine...

although. today's release (technically 3rd's one but its so late I see it as 4th...) for LTT is the Same exact video as for CSF 2 (3) days ago.

and guess what ? aparently Youtube is getting the same video too ! : 

Technically this is tomorrow's video, but I know you guys wanna watch it noooooow.. :P

^quote from that video

is it the wrong video ? all thats changed is the title.. not just the post but also the file.  hard to mix that up...
well its hard to tell, because you'd expect whoever uploaded it to check if its the right one right ?

well its been over 6h and its still there soo. yeah.

not to forget that sometimes you can't even watch videos. (got to download them because their player doesn't work) or they just flat out didn't finish the video on that day.

so do you really want to pay 3$ usd per month for something that unreliable ?
the whole thing feels like its still in beta and needs more work. this is not a finished product ready to buy.

this is as bad as pre-ordering something or paying for "early acess" style games on steam. but instead its a early acess platform thats unfinished to show you videos ~sometimes~ a week in advance.

4/10 would not reccomend. for now.

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

It's still in the early stages, bugs and errors are expected at this stage. 

Edited by colonel_mortis

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

The way I see it, floatplane club is a donation and as a thank you for the donation, you get some extra stuff.

Get it if you want to support Linus, and that by itself is enough of a reward for you.

Just now, LAwLz said:

The way I see it, floatplane club is a donation and as a thank you for the donation, you get some extra stuff.

Get it if you want to support Linus, and that by itself is enough of a reward for you.

its a payed service. literaly.

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

Do you get:

- DRM-Free downloads for members at 360p and 720p
- Ad free service - No pre-roll ads to suck up your bandwidth
- Exclusive member-only comments section through the LinusTechTips.com forum
- Early access - For now it'll be similar to the Vessel experience (1 week), but the window COULD change, and I can almost guarantee there will be more simultaneous releases for time-sensitive projects than before.?

As it says: but the window COULD change   Personally I don't think "Floatplane" as a Payed Service, its more of a Thank You to Linus and the Team for creating great content that you enjoy, If I had the money right now I'd still be a Bronze Contributor.

Also at the moment with the growing nature of LMG and the pressures they are under to manage something like this without a proper back-end like Vessel did AND create the great content that you are accustom too is a bit much at the moment. We're all human, we all make errors and plan things wrong, I'm sure the guys at LMG will make this up to you shortly and get it right.

Main Machine:  16 inch MacBook Pro (2021), Apple M1 Pro (10 CPU, 16 GPU Core), 512GB SDD, 16GB RAM

Gaming Machine:  Acer Nitro 5, Core i7 10750H, RTX 3060 (L) 6GB, 1TB SSD (Boot), 2TB SSD (Storage), 32GB DDR4 RAM

Other Tech: iPhone 15 Pro Max, Series 6 Apple Watch (LTE), AirPods Max, PS4, Nintendo Switch, PS3, Xbox 360

Network Gear:  TP Link Gigabit 24 Port Switch, TP-Link Deco M4 Mesh Wi-Fi, M1 MacMini File & Media Server with 8TB of RAID 1 Storage

2 minutes ago, Sousuke said:

Do you get:

- DRM-Free downloads for members at 360p and 720p
- Ad free service - No pre-roll ads to suck up your bandwidth
- Exclusive member-only comments section through the LinusTechTips.com forum
- Early access - For now it'll be similar to the Vessel experience (1 week), but the window COULD change, and I can almost guarantee there will be more simultaneous releases for time-sensitive projects than before.?

As it says: but the window COULD change   Personally I don't think "Floatplane" as a Payed Service, its more of a Thank You to Linus and the Team for creating great content that you enjoy, If I had the money right now I'd still be a Bronze Contributor.

Also at the moment with the growing nature of LMG and the pressures they are under to manage something like this without a proper back-end like Vessel did AND create the great content that you are accustom too is a bit much at the moment. We're all human, we all make errors and plan things wrong, I'm sure the guys at LMG will make this up to you shortly and get it right.

the matter that it could change is not the problem

its the fact that we sometimes don't get videos at all (rarely) or that say for this week. we got the same video twice.

sometimes we can'T stream them and have to download them.

and sure, maybe you don't see it as a payed service

doesn't change the fact that it is.

and if you're asking money for a service, well then you and it should be ready for what can / will happen.

Well lets see what the whole hassle is about eh!

Main Machine:  16 inch MacBook Pro (2021), Apple M1 Pro (10 CPU, 16 GPU Core), 512GB SDD, 16GB RAM

Gaming Machine:  Acer Nitro 5, Core i7 10750H, RTX 3060 (L) 6GB, 1TB SSD (Boot), 2TB SSD (Storage), 32GB DDR4 RAM

Other Tech: iPhone 15 Pro Max, Series 6 Apple Watch (LTE), AirPods Max, PS4, Nintendo Switch, PS3, Xbox 360

Network Gear:  TP Link Gigabit 24 Port Switch, TP-Link Deco M4 Mesh Wi-Fi, M1 MacMini File & Media Server with 8TB of RAID 1 Storage

So they made a mistake, its understandable that your frustrated that today's "Early" Video is the wrong one and one that's been up on YouTube for 2 days already, They must have just made an error and picked the wrong file name (Just saw Switch in the title and used that). 

That post was put up around 1am-3am (Depending on where LMG are based, I know they've said before but can't remember). So I put this down to human error and perhaps Linus and the Team should put them up earler.

3 minutes ago, Sousuke said:

So they made a mistake, its understandable that your frustrated that today's "Early" Video is the wrong one and one that's been up on YouTube for 2 days already, They must have just made an error and picked the wrong file name (Just saw Switch in the title and used that). 

That post was put up around 1am-3am (Depending on where LMG are based, I know they've said before but can't remember). So I put this down to human error and perhaps Linus and the Team should put them up earler.

doesn't change that they should check before and after posting. sure its a mistake but it seems to happen pretty often. and they don'T seem to stop and check before they do something sometimes.

alos where'd you see that ?

video not changed o.O

I always saw it as a something like patreon, it is just a cheap supporting way... like you should feel good you help LTT make good material stuff... more than actual demanding the service, I actually wanted to sign it just to help but I don't use paypal because here in Brazil you can only have an account on it if you have a credit card which I don't use, if they had a western union method maybe... but that is just my thinking.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

4 minutes ago, givingtnt said:

doesn't change that they should check before and after posting. sure its a mistake but it seems to happen pretty often. and they don'T seem to stop and check before they do something sometimes.

alos where'd you see that ?

video not changed o.O

Post was made 7 Hours ago and just subtracted that from the post time.

Just now, Sousuke said:

Post was made 7 Hours ago and just subtracted that from the post time.

I guess we can't really tell yet. though its around 8:14 over there so I guess it should be fixed within the next hour.. doesn'T change that its a problem.

Just now, givingtnt said:

I guess we can't really tell yet. though its around 8:14 over there so I guess it should be fixed within the next hour.. doesn'T change that its a problem.

I agree its a problem one that can be easily fixed, I don't think there was a need to bring it to the masses as we do have our own section. Just with any service it will get better with time. Stick with it :)! 

It's a donation to LMG for supporting their content. In return you are given early access to some videos but nothing has been guaranteed. This isn't a subscription. 

It's a club that's in its infancy so they aren't going to be perfect every single time. Look at the WAN show, they're getting better at it but it isn't perfect either. They made a mistake so what's the big deal? 

If you don't think it's worth your $2.99 then don't pay for it anymore. Many people see it as a small way of helping out LMG and the early videos are just an extra perk. 

2 minutes ago, GreenToxon said:

It's a donation to LMG for supporting their content. In return you are given early access to some videos but nothing has been guaranteed. This isn't a subscription. 

It's a club that's in its infancy so they aren't going to be perfect every single time. Look at the WAN show, they're getting better at it but it isn't perfect either. They made a mistake so what's the big deal? 

If you don't think it's worth your $2.99 then don't pay for it anymore. Many people see it as a small way of helping out LMG and the early videos are just an extra perk. 

are you blind ?

also I don't.

5 minutes ago, givingtnt said:

are you blind ?

also I don't.

You failed to clarify as to what I'm apparently "unable to see". 

You don't get to watch your early video, which you're paying a little under 10¢ a month for and you decide to create a thread to try and convince as many people as you can that the FPC is absolutely terrible and they should steer clear of it. When that decision is based on what each individual values their donation whether it's worth it and if it isn't. On your post why didn't you mention all of the positives of the FPC? 

As of now, Linus has realized their mistake and is uploading the correct one. Too bad you won't be able to see any future early release videos. 

Just now, GreenToxon said:

You failed to clarify as to what I'm apparently "unable to see". 

You don't get to watch your early video, which you're paying a little under 10¢ a month for and you decide to create a thread to try and convince as many people as you can that the FPC is absolutely terrible and they should steer clear of it. When that decision is based on what each individual values their donation whether it's worth it and if it isn't. On your post why didn't you mention all of the positives of the FPC? 

As of now, Linus has realized their mistake and is uploading the correct one. Too bad you won't be able to see any future early release videos. 

I have the whole month left

if you ask for money, you should be able to make sure you are doing things correctly. mistakes should not happen 1-2 times per week.

I'm not a float plane club user myself but to my knowledge it's still a work in progress. How is it fair to bitch and complain about the service when it's not even close to being finished? That's like saying my pasta tastes like shit when I haven't even started cooking the noodles yet.

2 hours ago, givingtnt said:

if you can't accept criticisme about something you like

then fuck off

You're just mad cuz you don't know what your talking about. Float plane club is still in the works and you came in the form to bitch about it. If you wanted a finished product you should have waited but you didn't. Your acting like it's final product and it's not. Nobody bitches about the bugs in a alpha game because that's part of it being an alpha. Float plane club probably is so early on that calling it alpha is a joke. Don't get mad cuz it's not finished and if anything it's more for the hardcore LTT viewers and fans.

While I like to have FPC style of contribution as option, I also do like that you have given this review of service. Far too many have paid for it and then complain when service quality isn't pleasing. Imo its about same level with Vessel when they started. I'd give this 1 year and see if its still worth it. But now I can pay €30 for year of contributing. Rather than spend €55-300 for normal contributions. Not to mention €40 shirts from which LMG only get portion.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

As this was initially only pitched for contributors it's a way for them to test the waters and see if it's viable. If you don't like it then don't continue paying for it, and if enough people agree with you they'll stop and the message will get across.

Also, instead or raging on the platform and others in the comments, why not try and come up with some constructive criticism? Is it so hard to be nice and think of others?

@givingtnt Oh and what's the bad practice? If it's because there's a paywall, I think it's so they don't get flooded by all the jerries.

Edited by RedSpade
Rewording

Murphy's Law: "Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong"

6 hours ago, RedSpade said:

As this was initially only pitched for contributors 

Also, instead or raging on the platform and others in the comments

@givingtnt Oh and what's the bad practice? If it's because there's a paywall, I think it's so they don't get flooded by all the jerries.

1, idk it was a vessel backuo afaik

2, the other guy called me a bitch, i told him to fuck off

3, bad practice in making people pay for an unreliable service. If they could at least check to make sure they upload the right thing and they upload on time. It would be nice. Instead of having some uploads here, some there. And overall a messy schedual.

so you hated vessel for the same reasons? , if you dont want it dont get it 

RyzenAir : AMD R5 3600 | AsRock AB350M Pro4 | 32gb Aegis DDR4 3000 | GTX 1070 FE | Fractal Design Node 804
RyzenITX : Ryzen 7 1700 | GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI | 16gb DDR4 2666 | GTX 1060 | Cougar QBX 

PSU Tier list

53 minutes ago, givingtnt said:

3, bad practice in making people pay for an unreliable service. If they could at least check to make sure they upload the right thing and they upload on time. It would be nice. Instead of having some uploads here, some there. And overall a messy schedual.

Well they don't exactly make you pay anything. You have choice of not getting 6-7 days buffer of content (with extras) or getting it. It might be more towards biased advertising. But hey, who doesn't do that in the world of internet? As for wrong video being uploaded, how many times that has happened? Once? Out of how many videos?

Like I said before, I do agree on that service has its issues. And that you should tell about your concerns to others. On the other hand, the service is much in line with Vessel when LTT joined in (I think Vessel had been open for public for 3 months). Comparing LMG having 1 paid employee and 3 volunteers doing the developing of platform compared to Vessels probably 30+ workforce, I'd give it year and see then what its like.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Just came to, this is my 2nd (or 3rd i cant recall) month of floatplane.  the ability to download DRM free episodes and plop them on my RAID for my plex server to pick up and be able to watch outside of youtube from anywhere, worth well over the $3 im currently paying.

Im happy to support them and I realize that this program is in its infancy, and personally im proud to be a part of it from more or less the very beginning.

One criticism i would have is that the WAN show isnt put up there for download, which would be awesome for taking with me to the gym monday morning (when i watch it) where WiFi is iffy.

20/10 - will be floatplane forever.

Linux Daily Driver:

CPU: R5 2400G

Motherboard: MSI B350M Mortar

RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4

HDD: 1TB POS HDD from an old Dell

SSD: 256GB WD Black NVMe M.2

Case: Phanteks Mini XL DS

PSU: 1200W Corsair HX1200

Gaming Rig:

CPU: i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270-N Wi-Fi ITX

RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4

GPU: Asus Turbo GTX 1070 @ 2GHz

HDD: 3TB Toshiba something or other

SSD: 512GB WD Black NVMe M.2

Case: Shared with Daily - Phanteks Mini XL DS

PSU: Shared with Daily - 1200W Corsair HX1200

Server

CPU: Ryzen7 1700

Motherboard: MSI X370 SLI Plus

RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4

GPU: Nvidia GT 710

HDD: 1X 10TB Seagate ironwolf NAS Drive.  4X 3TB WD Red NAS Drive.

SSD: Adata 128GB

Case: NZXT Source 210 (white)

PSU: EVGA 650 G2 80Plus Gold