a look at (ry)Zen's IPC - from Excavator to KabyLake

zMeul

Let me correct your straw man for you:

1 minute ago, TOMPPIX said:

do you see it drop under 120 or 144 FPS?

Since that would be a common usage for the chip yes: More often than similarly priced intel offerings. 

Now do you have any more excuses you want to bring up like the old faithful "Muh streaming and video editing!" BS line since most of you don't stream or edit shit anyways?

-------

Current Rig

-------

Just now, PCGuy_5960 said:

BTW, if you want just 60fps, just get an i5, why are you even considering an R7/i7 CPU?

future proofing maybe?

Just now, KOMTechAndGaming said:

if you look in the brackets ffs

sorry, late and glasses off :$

let me respond, again, properly

the reviewers looked at only some aspects and the price compared to Broadwell-E CPUs

yes, if you take into account price/perf considering Broadwell-E, the Ryzen looks good

but when you look only at perf vs Broadwell-E, there's no winner

there are other issues with their evaluation of the CPUs

these days, content creation benefits greatly from CUDA/OpenCL GPU acceleration that is much much faster than doing it on the CPU

it makes no sense to buy a expensive CPU when you can buy a cheaper one, pair with a decent GPU and end up with twice the performance (in render times) at the same cost

Jay hit the nail on the head on yesterdays Tech Talk...

"Anybody saying Zen is a good choice didn't spend long enough and dig deep enough into it before publishing. Let's just hope these issues are teething issues and that they'll be fixed with maturity."

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

16 minutes ago, ace_cheaply said:

Correct me if I'm wrong please, but is this saying that kabylake has 25-30% ipc advantage over haswell?  I don't believe that to be the case.

why, I think its close

Just now, Droidbot said:

He ends up getting boards sent to him from AsRock due to the ASUS board having issues. PCGamer also reported issues with it not turboing and turning SMT off.. 

I have watched this review... And I know, but people had 25%+ lower gaming performance with the MSI board, the ASUS had no such issues..

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

future proofing maybe?

You will be more futureproof with a worse CPU, dat logic!

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

1 minute ago, Master Disaster said:

Jay hit the nail on the head on yesterdays Tech Talk...

"Anybody saying Zen is a good choice didn't spend long enough and dig deep enough into it before publishing. Let's just hope this issues are teething issues and they'll be fixed with maturity."

They didn't get fixed with Excavator and AMD is already claiming the same BS about how Devs need to optimize so there's that.

-------

Current Rig

-------

8 minutes ago, TOMPPIX said:

do you see it drop under 60 frames?

As a matter of fact I do.

ryzen-r7-1800x-bench-wd2

You might notice this for instance is a game that benefits from more than 4 cores.

http://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/2822-amd-ryzen-r7-1800x-review-premiere-blender-fps-benchmarks/page-7

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

Just now, zMeul said:

sorry, late and glasses off :$

let me respond, again, properly

the reviewers looked at only some aspects and the price compared to Broadwell-E CPUs

yes, if you take into account price/perf considering Broadwell-E, the Ryzen looks good

but when you look only at perf vs Broadwell-E, there's no winner

there are other issues with their evaluation of the CPUs

these days, content creation benefits greatly from CUDA/OpenCL GPU acceleration that is much much faster than doing it on the CPU

it makes no sense to buy a expensive CPU when you can buy a cheaper one, pair with a decent GPU and end up with twice the performance (in render times) at the same cost

im looking to upgrade at somepoint so i was wondering as it stands now who should i go for right now,,

Option 

A. the 1800x

B. 1700X(whats the difference between the 1800x and 1700x

C. i7-6850k

D.possibly a 7700k? 

i have a 3930k rn and want a new architecture

im not bother about 'gaming' performance.

can you help?

CPU: Intel9-9900k 5.0GHz at 1.36v  | Cooling: Custom Loop | MOTHERBOARD: ASUS ROG Z370 Maximus X Hero | RAM: CORSAIR 32GB DDR4-3200 VENGEANCE PRO RGB  | GPU: Nvidia RTX 2080Ti | PSU: CORSAIR RM850X + Cablemod modflex white cables | BOOT DRIVE: 250GB SSD Samsung 850 evo | STORAGE: 7.75TB | CASE: Fractal Design Define R6 BLackout | Display: SAMSUNG OLED 34 UW | Keyboard: HyperX Alloy elite RGB |  Mouse: Corsair M65 PRO RGB | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Phone: iPhone 11 Pro Max 256GB

2 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

So you're gonna future proof with a worst chip for gaming like Zen?

what about directx 12 and vulkan?

2 minutes ago, TOMPPIX said:

Neither of those help a high end system that was having no trouble keeping the GPU fed with stuff to do anyway.

EDIT: This was my main gripe when people were testing Mantle years ago. There was hardly anyone putting a low-end CPU with a high end GPU on for testing.

Option 

A. the 1800x

C. i7-6850k

D.possibly a 7700k? 

• 7700K for gaming
  • 1700X for rendering
  • 6850K for the best of both worlds

Don't get the 1800X, it is not worth it...

1 minute ago, KOMTechAndGaming said:

im looking to upgrade at somepoint so i was wondering as it stands now who should i go for right now,,

Option 

A. the 1800x

C. i7-6850k

D.possibly a 7700k? 

can you help?

if you dont game.... get a goddamn ryzen xD 1700x or 1800x depending on ur needs

The 7700K is still faster

• 7700K for gaming
  • 1700X for rendering
  • 6850K for the best of both worlds

Don't get the 1800X, it is not worth it...

ok so rip the 1800x

CPU: Intel9-9900k 5.0GHz at 1.36v  | Cooling: Custom Loop | MOTHERBOARD: ASUS ROG Z370 Maximus X Hero | RAM: CORSAIR 32GB DDR4-3200 VENGEANCE PRO RGB  | GPU: Nvidia RTX 2080Ti | PSU: CORSAIR RM850X + Cablemod modflex white cables | BOOT DRIVE: 250GB SSD Samsung 850 evo | STORAGE: 7.75TB | CASE: Fractal Design Define R6 BLackout | Display: SAMSUNG OLED 34 UW | Keyboard: HyperX Alloy elite RGB |  Mouse: Corsair M65 PRO RGB | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Phone: iPhone 11 Pro Max 256GB

1 minute ago, Misanthrope said:

They didn't get fixed with Excavator and AMD is already claiming the same BS about how Devs need to optimize so there's that.

To be fair Jay wnt on to say a few studios have already said there is definitely some Zen specific optimisations they can make to help out gaming performance.

This is a ground up brand new architecture and its only to be expected that some things have to be tweaked for it.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Option 

A. the 1800x

C. i7-6850k

D.possibly a 7700k? 

can you help?

later this year Intel will release their new X platform X299

it also depends on what your workload is, is it dependent on the CPU, can be accelerated with a video card (CUDA/OpenCL)

but you should open a thread on new builds forums, not here

The 7700K is still faster

yes today it is, but what about 2 years from now?

Just now, smokefest said:

if you dont game.... get a goddamn ryzen xD 1700x or 1800x depending on ur needs

i do game, i just aint overly bother that x cpu will get 75fps and y cpu get 60 (if you get what i mean?)

Any chance we can get this moved from the News section of the forum to the CPUs and Motherboards as I don't see where the news portion of this is other than people re-hashing the exact same arguments from the other Ryzen Threads in the News Section?

Just now, TOMPPIX said:

What do you mean? Why would I wait 2 years to get the performance I want? Half the lifetime of a cpu (from when most people upgrade) right there 

Just now, TOMPPIX said:

It still will be. If it is worse now, it will be worse in the future as well...

i do game, i just aint overly bother that x cpu will get 75fps and y cpu get 60 (if you get what i mean?)

Ryzen would fit you nicely I believe...

I understand people see a gain from 80 to 90 irelevent,

But lets face a game that you get barely 65 fps, that would put you at 55 fps with the other cpu, so, gotta think about that, for now, ok, but in 1 year, you could regret