CPU temps with Corsair H80i seem a little high...

Hi,

I have an i7 7700k @ 4.5GHz and a Corsair H80i AIO liquid cooler.

I am a bit confused as to why my CPU is running as hot as it is.

At idle, it sits around 40 degrees and after testing under 100% load, with prime95, it gets to 80 - 85 degress after 3 - 4 minutes!

Any help with this?

In the bios I have it set to 1.23V and 45 mulitplier. My case also has plenty of ventilation, 2 intake fans, 2 exhaust fans and then 2 more exhaust fans on the H80i radiator.

I have heard in the past Intel chips didn't run particularly well on P95 (overvolting I believe). You could try another stress test like Aida 64 and see what your results are.

Also, I assume the backplate is mounted correctly?

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Try new thermal paste.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Just now, Enderman said:

Try new thermal paste.

It is using Arctic MX-2, is that not that good?

h80 aint great, not sure about h80i, my temps were worse than 212 evo at same fan volume - it drove me to custom loops

Ryzen Ram Guide

My Project Logs   Iced Blood    Temporal Snow    Temporal Snow Ryzen Refresh

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

Just now, NinjaSandvich said:

It is using Arctic MX-2, is that not that good?

I assumed you were using the stock stuff.

Check the backplate is oriented correctly, only one side goes up.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

I have a 7700HQ on my laptop and it definetly runs hot, so hot that it tjunctions, which renders the only game I play unplayable.

I'll try cooking a slice on pepperoni on my Intel soon.

On 3/3/2017 at 3:06 PM, Minibois said:

I have heard in the past Intel chips didn't run particularly well on P95 (overvolting I believe). You could try another stress test like Aida 64 and see what your results are.

Also, I assume the backplate is mounted correctly?

My trial of AIDA 64 Extreme has ended, is there another way I can do it, an online version or something like that?

On 3/3/2017 at 3:10 PM, Enderman said:

I assumed you were using the stock stuff.

Check the backplate is oriented correctly, only one side goes up.

How do I know if it is the wrong way up? As far as I can tell, it is mounted fine - but I could easily be wrong.

Just now, NinjaSandvich said:

How do I know if it is the wrong way up? As far as I can tell, it is mounted fine - but I could easily be wrong.

It says in the instruction manual, which you should have read?

Spoiler

Those temps really aren't out of the ordinary for an H80 of any flavor.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

7 minutes ago, NinjaSandvich said:

My trial of AIDA 64 Extreme has ended, is there another way I can do it, an online version or something like that?

ROG RealBench is a good real world stressor. use HWMoniter to watch temps and voltages.

[FS][US] Corsair H115i 280mm AIO-AMD $60+shipping

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

13 minutes ago, tmcclelland455 said:

Those temps really aren't out of the ordinary for an H80 of any flavor.

Or any 120mm AIO.

Really need to step up the cooling game OP. Get a 280/360 and you'll be grand. That'll let you properly give it a shot. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

15 minutes ago, Enderman said:

It says in the instruction manual, which you should have read?

I did, and yes, it is the correct way around.

8 minutes ago, knightslugger said:

ROG RealBench is a good real world stressor. use HWMoniter to watch temps and voltages.

Ok, I'll give it a go :)

I'm not sure if  your using a z170 mobo or not , with my Gigabyte z170x gamming 7 i have noticed my 6700k overvolts to 1.4v even if i have the voltage set to 1.25v, i would check your voltage during a benchmark, if it is overvolting try changing to and adaptive voltage and setting an offset to limit voltage