Does B350 support XFR or do I need X370 for that?

Seems like AMD is being quite vague on this, and by extension the reviews are too...

I'm interested in getting a micro-ATX board for a streaming rig but there don't appear to be any with X370, just B350.

Does anybody have any idea?

As far as i know, and from what i heard xfr is all done by the cpu and not the mobo( correct me if i am wrong), just make sure you have propper cooling because temps are realy important for xfr to work.

CPU:R7 5800X    Motherboard: asrock x470 taichi ultimate   RAM: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws-V 2X16GB    GPU: Gigabyte GTX1080TI gaming oc 11g   Case: Corsair 600Q Storage: 1TB Samsung 870(boot), samsung 850evo 500GB, 2TB Corsair MX500, samsung 2TB 970 evo plus, WD 5TB black    PSU: Corsair AX860    CPU cooling: Corsair H105

depending on the cpu (if it includes with a X or not)

seems like x370 will give you the "premium" oc but on both should support xfr if your cpu supports that feature

Remember to quote me (or someone else), otherwise we won't going to recieve your answers...

PC Specs                   PCPartpicker full performance builds (from350$-1250$)

Yes, from the reviews I read B350 allows XFR.

XFR can be enabled or disabled from BIOS, if the option is not in BIOS it's probably hidden and enabled by default.

On some motherboards (an Asus model from what I heard), the XFR option was tied to an enable overclocking option, if you disabled that option, the XFR was disabled as well.

19 minutes ago, Blackhole890 said:

depending on the cpu (if it includes with a X or not)

seems like x370 will give you the "premium" oc but on both should support xfr if your cpu supports that feature

What kind of 'premium' do you get? o.O

51 minutes ago, Zoeff said:

What kind of 'premium' do you get? o.O

i dont know but prob is something similar as intel does because on the posts says that you will need a better cooling solution 

Remember to quote me (or someone else), otherwise we won't going to recieve your answers...

PC Specs                   PCPartpicker full performance builds (from350$-1250$)

2 minutes ago, Blackhole890 said:

i dont know but prob is something similar as intel does because on the posts says that you will need a better cooling solution 

I thought the better cooling solution recommendation was just for XFR in general? As in, it being XFR itself that prefers lower temps and adjusts clockspeeds/voltage accordingly

XFR boosts the frequency over the maximum boost frequency for that cpu by about 100 mhz only if the processor is cooled well enough.  The cpu monitors the internal temperature in lots of points over the die and if it figures there's enough room to boost by up to 100 mhz over the maximum frequency, and if there's only maximum two cores heavily loaded, then XFR works.

It doesn't have anything to do with chipsets, it's just artificially disabled if you use a lower end chipset, to make artificial difference between chipsets, besides number of usb ports and sata ports created by the chipset. Also, I suspect another reasoning is that with more basic chipsets, the motherboard manufacturer may use cheaper VRMs for the CPU which may not give enough quality power to support the sustained boosts.

The chipsets are glorified usb+sata+pci-e switches connected to the cpu using a pci-e x4 link on the motherboard, everything important including a few sata ports and 4 usb 3.0 (5gbps) and a pci-e x4 for nvme is built inside the cpu, so you could build  a motherboard without any chipset if you wanted to.

AMD Ryzen 7 Press Deck-16.jpg

AMD Ryzen 7 2.jpg

All very nice information, though all of that is available in various reviews out there - It being artificially disabled in which chipset is my question. :)

See picture above. If it says Unlocked, then XFR is enabled as well, unless the motherboard maker artificially disables it from BIOS.

So X** chipsets and B350 support overclocking and XFR is enabled.

7 minutes ago, mariushm said:

See picture above. If it says Unlocked, then XFR is enabled as well, unless the motherboard maker artificially disables it from BIOS.

So X** chipsets and B350 support overclocking and XFR is enabled.

How do you know Unlocked refers to XFR as well?

EDIT: See this slide, much like how the chipset comparison slide suggests that all the things are unlocked in B350 overclocking wise, this slide seems to suggest that a board with X in the name such as the X370 or X300 would be needed to actually get all the features unlocked. Of course it might also be a reference to motherboard manufacturers often adding in overclocking orientated BIOS menu's and better VRMs to higher end boards, with those higher end boards probably having X370 too.

AMD Ryzen 7 Press Deck-11.jpg

Edited by Zoeff
Adding in an image