TDP? Wtf

Zeke_
Go to solution Solved by Mira Yurizaki,

TDP is not a direct measure of electrical power consumption. Energy in physics can take on any form it wants, because at the end of the day, it's doing work. So heat energy and electrical energy, over time, are both measured in watts because they both do work. But TDP is not measuring electrical power consumption.

TDP is the amount of heat energy (energy over time is power) that a cooler must be able to dissipate in order for the processor being cooled to remain at a safe temperature for a given workload. It's a metric that can be, for the most part, ignored by most of the masses. You only need to worry about TDP if you're buying a third party cooler.

But yes, there is a general relationship between electrical power consumption and TDP, but again, they are not directly related.

There. I can breath easily now.

Someone explain what TDP is to me please lol.

#BudgetMasterRace

CPU: Pentium G4560  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1050 OC  RAM: 8GB DDR4 2400mhz  CASE: NZXT S340  POWER SUPPLY: EVGA 500B MOTHERBOARD: Gigabyte B250M-DS3H  STORAGE: 1tb Wd Blue 7200rpm hdd  MOUSE: Redragon M711 Cobra Chroma RGB 

KEYBOARD: Corsair Strafe  MICROPHONE: Blue Snowball  DISPLAY: Dell S2440L 1080p 60hz  HEADPHONES: Audio Technica ATH-M30X's

I think it is to do with heat production from the die

Just now, FJRiley said:

I think it is to do with heat production from the die

What's the die?

#BudgetMasterRace

CPU: Pentium G4560  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1050 OC  RAM: 8GB DDR4 2400mhz  CASE: NZXT S340  POWER SUPPLY: EVGA 500B MOTHERBOARD: Gigabyte B250M-DS3H  STORAGE: 1tb Wd Blue 7200rpm hdd  MOUSE: Redragon M711 Cobra Chroma RGB 

KEYBOARD: Corsair Strafe  MICROPHONE: Blue Snowball  DISPLAY: Dell S2440L 1080p 60hz  HEADPHONES: Audio Technica ATH-M30X's

[Deleted]

Turns out I'm retarded

I'm a fucking AMD kawaii weeaboo desu I have seen the light

i5 6600k EVGA 980 FTW Z170A PC Mate 1TB WD Blue240GB SSD Plus NZXT S340 | EVGA 600b  | Dedotated 8GB

1 minute ago, Zeke_ said:

What's the die?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

1 minute ago, Zeke_ said:

What's the die?

A die on a CPU is a wafer thing that has circuits which make your computer do shit

i5 6600k EVGA 980 FTW Z170A PC Mate 1TB WD Blue240GB SSD Plus NZXT S340 | EVGA 600b  | Dedotated 8GB

2 minutes ago, Goldensapling said:

TDP = Thermal Design Power

It's basically the amount of power a component uses.

For example, a 95w TDP CPU would draw ~95w from your PSU while under load.

Wrong.

The thermal design power (TDP) is the maximum amount of heat that is generated by a computer component, be that CPU or GPU. That is the amount of watts that the cooling system must dissipate.

TDP does not directly mean power consumption by the chip.

HAL9000: AMD Ryzen 9 3900x | Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black | 32 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz | Asus X570 Prime Pro | ASUS TUF 3080 Ti | 1 TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus + 1 TB Crucial MX500 + 6 TB WD RED | Corsair HX1000 | be quiet Pure Base 500DX | LG 34UM95 34" 3440x1440

Hydrogen server: Intel i3-10100 | Cryorig M9i | 64 GB Crucial Ballistix 3200MHz DDR4 | Gigabyte B560M-DS3H | 33 TB of storage | Fractal Design Define R5 | unRAID 6.9.2

Carbon server: Fujitsu PRIMERGY RX100 S7p | Xeon E3-1230 v2 | 16 GB DDR3 ECC | 60 GB Corsair SSD & 250 GB Samsung 850 Pro | Intel i340-T4 | ESXi 6.5.1

Big Mac cluster: 2x Raspberry Pi 2 Model B | 1x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B | 2x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+

1 minute ago, jj9987 said:

Wrong.

The thermal design power (TDP) is the maximum amount of heat that is generated by a computer component, be that CPU or GPU. That is the amount of watts that the cooling system must dissipate.

TDP does not directly relate to power consumption.

Well shit, looks like I'm fake news now :^(

This isn't a very intelligent explanation but TDP or Thermal Design Power is a measurement of the max amount of Watts a chip is designed to use. Like 80W TDP chips, 95W, 130W Etc. I believe it's just a measurement of how much power a particular chip uses. Things get interesting when you overclock though. Pushing a 3930K which is a 130W TDP chip at stock I pushed it to somewhere around 165~170W getting it up to 4.4GHz.

As FJRiley mentioned. The higher the TDP (More Watts) means more heat is produced. So when overclocking and increasing CPU voltage in the BIOS the TDP increases. Which enables you to push for higher overclocks and in turn produces more heat.

In short. TDP is the measurement of how many Watts a CPU will use at stock speed under load. Sometimes CPU coolers will label on their units what the max Watt TDP is they can handle. This is because the higher the number the more heat is produced and the more heat has to be dissipated.

TDP is not a direct measure of electrical power consumption. Energy in physics can take on any form it wants, because at the end of the day, it's doing work. So heat energy and electrical energy, over time, are both measured in watts because they both do work. But TDP is not measuring electrical power consumption.

TDP is the amount of heat energy (energy over time is power) that a cooler must be able to dissipate in order for the processor being cooled to remain at a safe temperature for a given workload. It's a metric that can be, for the most part, ignored by most of the masses. You only need to worry about TDP if you're buying a third party cooler.

But yes, there is a general relationship between electrical power consumption and TDP, but again, they are not directly related.

There. I can breath easily now.

12 minutes ago, Abdul201588 said:

Linus is a God

#BudgetMasterRace

17 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

In short. TDP is the measurement of how many Watts a CPU will use at stock speed under load. Sometimes CPU coolers will label on their units what the max Watt TDP is they can handle. This is because the higher the number the more heat is produced and the more heat has to be dissipated.

Nope. TDP (THERMAL Design Power) is a measure of the thermal output in watts. A chip with a 100 watt TDP would need to have 100 watts of heat disapated.  It really has nothing to do with power consumption at all, at least not directly. Coolers label TDP because it basically says "this cooler can dissipate X amount of heat"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermal_design_power

******If you paste in text into your post, please click the "remove formatting" button for night theme users.******

CPU- Intel 6700k OC to 4.69 Ghz GPU- NVidia Geforce GTX 970 (MSI) RAM- 16gb DDR4 2400 SSD-2x500gb samsung 850 EVO(SATA) Raid 0 HDD- 2tb Seagate Case- H440 Red w/ custom lighting Motherboard - MSI Z170 Gaming A OS- Windows 10 Mouse- Razer Naga Epic Chroma, Final Mouse 2016 turney proKeyboard- Corsair k70 Cherry MX brown

1 hour ago, bgibbz said:

Nope. TDP (THERMAL Design Power) is a measure of the thermal output in watts. A chip with a 100 watt TDP would need to have 100 watts of heat disapated.  It really has nothing to do with power consumption at all, at least not directly. Coolers label TDP because it basically says "this cooler can dissipate X amount of heat"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermal_design_power

Watching the Linus video someone linked in this thread it seems half the information i provided was wrong and the other half was partially accurate.