Which mechnical keyboard?

ViGeesT

They're just really bad for the price, build quality is just inferior to that of other mechanical keyboards at the same price. If you can get a Razer mechanical keyboard for a really low price, then OK! Go for it! It's still a mechanical keyboard that's better than most membrane keyboards. Usually people who ask for recommendations on a mechanical keyboard are ready to spend more on a mechanical keyboard. So why recommend a Razer keyboard when there are many other better keyboards in the market?

There are only two circumstances where I'd give a go on Razer keyboards:

1. Super cheap price

2. There are no other available mechanical keyboards around the area and international shipping is just too expensive.

How is the build quality inferior? The Linus twist test doesn't do a thing to it, absolutely no flex.

How is the build quality inferior? The Linus twist test doesn't do a thing to it, absolutely no flex.

I'm sorry, but the "flex test" is seriously the dumbest way to test the quality of a mechanical keyboard (no offense to Linus). When we talk quality of a mechanical keyboard, you think about:

- Case material, coloring, etc

- Keycap quality

- PCB quality (one of the most important factors IMO). This includes the structure of the PCB, soldering quality, etc

- Keyboard controller quality and programming

These are just some points I can think of at the moment but that by itself should pretty give you an idea on how to define the quality of a mechanical keyboard. Almost all mechanical keyboards are made with plastic casing so some are bound to flex. Sure, you can flex a keyboard to roughly check its durability but it is definitely not a sure way to straight up tell if a mechanical keyboard is good or bad quality.

Example: Cherry G80-3000.

This keyboard is so underrated. It has its cons, such as its massive size and (arguably) "cheap" casing. On top of that some might not like it due to lack of features; it does not have macro keys, shining lights, or multimedia functions.

But what I believe makes the keyboard good is because of its PCB and keycap quality. You check the PCB of a Cherry board, top notch quality, excellent soldering work. I have taken my Cherry board apart so many times to change the switches inside, and it has never failed me. I would choose this board over a Razer BW any day because of its better PCB, keycaps, and controller. Yeah, sure the case will "flex" because it doesn't have metal plating inside. So what?I don't have to worry about how it might fail on me one day, or keycap surface wearing off one day, or other issues that BW owners have encountered.

I hope this clears up on the definition of quality when looking at a mechanical keyboard. The flex test simply is NOT enough to justify on the overall quality of a mechanical keyboard.

All these things I have mentioned seem a lot to remember and research. I am by no means a professional when it comes to mechanical keyboards but I am definitely not noob LOL I know what I'm talking about. If you don't want to remember all these points, or think that this is just too much of a hassle, just look for one thing: country of production. If you find a keyboard, and it is made in Taiwan, then it is 99% good quality. No joke. Most keyboards that people recommend and are good quality come from Taiwan.

Intel Xeon E3-1230 V2 | CM Hyper 212 Evo | MSI ZH77A-G43 | HyperX Fury DDR3 8GBx2 | MSI GTX 1060 GAMING X 3GB

Lian-Li PC-A05FN | SanDisk Ultra II 240GB | WD 1TB Blue | Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold 550W | ASUS MG248Q

Cherry G80-3000 (blue) | Ducky 9008 Shine 2 (black/blue LED) | Ducky 9087 Shine 2 Year of the Dragon (brown/yellow LED)

Ducky Mini Year of the Horse (white/blue+red LED) | Steelseries 6Gv2 (black) | Leopold FC660M (red) | Vortex Race 3 (blue)

Logitech G400s | Razer Abyssus Mirror Edition | Razer Goliathus Speed

Steelseries Sensei RAW | SteelSeries Qck | Zowie EC1-ASteelseries Qck+ Fnatic edition

ur entitled to your wrong opinion

-------------------------------------------------------

It is a matter of personal preference, launching personal attacks on someone shows the attackers lack of confidence in his own argument neither of us are doing any harm recommending different keyboards to whoever started this topic I am sure will use his own mind to decide which keyboard to use. I have owned many mechanical keyboards and am surly not a noob. If you feel so strongly about this nobody is stoping you from buying a ducky shine 3

True, we are entitled to our own opinions, but when you said the part in bold, you obviously think too highly of yourself and that your opinion matters more than mine, I take exception to that. IF you had left out 'wrong' in that sentence, I'd think nothing of it.

Granted, when it comes to keyboards, it's a matter of preference, but when a better made keyboard can be had for equal or less than, say, a BWU 2013, why go for the BWU 2013 in the first place? For example, both the BWU 2013 and Stealth Edition cost more than a Ducky Shine 3 and a Filco MJ2......and a within 10USD of a Topre Type Heaven (in my neck of the woods). Given that price point, why buy a BWU 2013? Money would be better, much better, spent on the DS3....or, for a little more, the Topre Type Heaven. And no, nobody's stopping me from buying a DS3........that's why I have the YOTS Edition as well as three Ducky Shine 2's (DK9008S2), a TKL Ducky (DK9087G2 Pro) and a Ducky Shine (DK9008S) and a non Shine keyboard (DK9008). Do I have a single Razer keyboard? Nope, I'd not want to taint my collection with an *ewww* BWU.......but that's just my opinion, and like you'd said, I'm entitled to it.

Main Rig: AMD AM4 R9 5900X (12C/24T) + Tt Water 3.0 ARGB 360 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 (OS) | 4TB Lexar NM790 NVMe M.2 PCIe4x4 | 2TB TG Cardea Zero Z440 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SATA SSD | 6TB WD Black HDD | CoolerMaster H500M | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | Topre Type Heaven + Seenda Ergonomic W/L Vertical Mouse + 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G | iFi Micro iDSD Black Label | Philips Fidelio B97 | C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2 | Omnidesk Pro 2020 48" | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2nd Rig: AMD AM4 R9 3900X + TR PA 120 SE | Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II DDR4 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 500GB Crucial P2 Plus NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 4.0 (OS)2TB Adata Legend 850 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 |  2TB Kingston NV2 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Leven JS600 SATA SSD | 2TB Seagate HDD | Keychron K2 + Logitech G703 | SOLDAM XR-1 Black Knight | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

JUST BUY BOTH BWU AND DS3!!!!

return the one you don't like.

I've tried both, chose the BWU. 

Reasons;

NEED macros. dedicated macro buttons. simpler, faster.

Backlight is pretty good, though I'm missing out on the DS3 cool lighting features, I doubt I'd use the most of the time.

I quite like the software, It automatically sets to a certain profile when I launch a program. 

I wanted to match my DA2013. its more of a personal thing but I have to have the same brand for all my peripherals. (excluding my headphone)

So try both, maybe you will like the features of the DS3 better.

EDIT:

Forgot to mention most important part, the partial lighting on the DS3 Snake spacebar, doesnt light up the whole snake :( just one LED in the middle. 

True, we are entitled to our own opinions, but when you said the part in bold, you obviously think too highly of yourself and that your opinion matters more than mine, I take exception to that. IF you had left out 'wrong' in that sentence, I'd think nothing of it.

Granted, when it comes to keyboards, it's a matter of preference, but when a better made keyboard can be had for equal or less than, say, a BWU 2013, why go for the BWU 2013 in the first place? For example, both the BWU 2013 and Stealth Edition cost more than a Ducky Shine 3 and a Filco MJ2......and a within 10USD of a Topre Type Heaven (in my neck of the woods). Given that price point, why buy a BWU 2013? Money would be better, much better, spent on the DS3....or, for a little more, the Topre Type Heaven. And no, nobody's stopping me from buying a DS3.....I have the YOTS Edition as well as three Ducky Shine 2's and a couple of Ducky non Shine keyboards. Do I have a single Razer keyboard? Nope, I'd not want to taint my collection with an *ewww* BWU.......but that's just my opinion.

DS3 and BWU is similliar in price, +-$10 (NCIX CANADA)

EDIT:

Forgot to mention most important part, the partial lighting on the DS3 Snake spacebar, doesnt light up the whole snake :( just one LED in the middle. 

You sure? IIRC, my YOTS has three LED on the space bar, the regular DS3 should have the very same number of LED...note that the Ducky logo is white while the 'wing' on each side of it is purple.

20130829_202353_zps5e5890f8.jpg

DS3 and BWU is similliar in price, +-$10 (NCIX CANADA)

That's the thing, if they are similarly priced, like within $10 of each other, ask anyone here which they'd pick. IF the BWU 2013 is, like significantly cheaper than the DS3, like $30 or more, then obviously the BWU 2013 be a much more attractive deal.

IF having macros is a big deal, then other alternatives would be the Cooler Master Storm Trigger or the G710+ (but with limited switch type + LED color combo).....they'd prolly be cheaper as well. Most would prolly buy Razer simply because Razer's all over the place and is so much easier to find than Ducky. Heck, the IT chain of stores in my neck of the woods has only Razer BW/BWU as the mechanical keyboard of choice.......if you want Logitech, Ducky, Filco, Cooler Master and such, you'd have to go to the one large IT mall here......not many people have the time or inclination to go there just for one or two items, hence they go to this chain of IT stores located all over the place.

Main Rig: AMD AM4 R9 5900X (12C/24T) + Tt Water 3.0 ARGB 360 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 (OS) | 4TB Lexar NM790 NVMe M.2 PCIe4x4 | 2TB TG Cardea Zero Z440 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SATA SSD | 6TB WD Black HDD | CoolerMaster H500M | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | Topre Type Heaven + Seenda Ergonomic W/L Vertical Mouse + 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G | iFi Micro iDSD Black Label | Philips Fidelio B97 | C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2 | Omnidesk Pro 2020 48" | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2nd Rig: AMD AM4 R9 3900X + TR PA 120 SE | Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II DDR4 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 500GB Crucial P2 Plus NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 4.0 (OS)2TB Adata Legend 850 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 |  2TB Kingston NV2 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Leven JS600 SATA SSD | 2TB Seagate HDD | Keychron K2 + Logitech G703 | SOLDAM XR-1 Black Knight | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

You sure? IIRC, my YOTS has three LED on the space bar, the regular DS3 should have the very same number of LED...note that the Ducky logo is white while the 'wing' on each side of it is purple.

20130829_202353_zps5e5890f8.jpg

That's the thing, if they are similarly priced, like within $10 of each other, ask anyone here which they'd pick. IF the BWU 2013 is, like significantly cheaper than the DS3, like $30 or more, then obviously the BWU 2013 be a much more attractive deal.

IF having macros is a big deal, then other alternatives would be the Cooler Master Storm Trigger or the G710+ (but with limited switch type + LED color combo).....they'd prolly be cheaper as well. Most would prolly buy Razer simply because Razer's all over the place and is so much easier to find than Ducky. Heck, the IT chain of stores in my neck of the woods has only Razer BW/BWU as the mechanical keyboard of choice.......if you want Logitech, Ducky, Filco, Cooler Master and such, you'd have to go to the one large IT mall here......not many people have the time or inclination to go there just for one or two items, hence they go to this chain of IT stores located all over the place.

The ducky I had had a central glow on the snake only.

G710+ is inferior to the BWU2013 I'd say, becuse they were drunk when they decided to have a glossy keyboard. just like the first edition BWU.

True if you were in a budget I'd recommend CM storm line, they have almost all the features at a significantly reduced price.

You might be right on the LED thing, I never actually looked under, it just looked like it had more illumination in the middle, significantly less on the side, but maybe thats because how the snake is positioned.

What's wrong with Razer keyboards? I have a mechanical Razer keyboard that I got for an extremely low price, and it works perfectly.

If  you got it for a low price then thats excellent, still a better upgrade then any rubber dome.  The normal price of the Blackwidow is the same as the Duckys yet the quality is much lower.  The Blackwidow is better compared to a rubber dome keyboard, but compared to other quality better built mechanical keyboards in the same price range it cant compete.  I just think its very strange that someone would think the BWU is better then a Ducky :wacko:

Always go for a Ducky over the Blackwidow if paying standard/normal price.

It is a matter of personal preference, launching personal attacks on someone shows the attackers lack of confidence in his own argument neither of us are doing any harm recommending different keyboards to whoever started this topic I am sure will use his own mind to decide which keyboard to use. I have owned many mechanical keyboards and am surly not a noob. If you feel so strongly about this nobody is stoping you from buying a ducky shine 3

Also Razer support gives out Blackwidows for free if you send them a picture of a Blackwidow with the cable cut, many people have done that and reused the same picture to get brand new free Blackwidows and resoldered the wire on the old Blackwidow.  I wouldnt pay full price for a product that is commonly given out for free like that and it speaks volumes in terms of there quality.

Granted, when it comes to keyboards, it's a matter of preference, but when a better made keyboard can be had for equal or less than, say, a BWU 2013, why go for the BWU 2013 in the first place? For example, both the BWU 2013 and Stealth Edition cost more than a Ducky Shine 3 and a Filco MJ2......and a within 10USD of a Topre Type Heaven (in my neck of the woods). Given that price point, why buy a BWU 2013? Money would be better, much better, spent on the DS3....or, for a little more, the Topre Type Heaven. And no, nobody's stopping me from buying a DS3........that's why I have the YOTS Edition as well as three Ducky Shine 2's (DK9008S2), a TKL Ducky (DK9087G2 Pro) and a Ducky Shine (DK9008S) and a non Shine keyboard (DK9008). Do I have a single Razer keyboard? Nope, I'd not want to taint my collection with an *ewww* BWU.......but that's just my opinion, and like you'd said, I'm entitled to it.

I receptively disagree with you and apologize for my previous comment it was not meant to be offensive merely a roast on a fellow LTT member

Ducky Shine 3 easily,  those tablets will be out of fashion in a few months anyway with some newer model, the Ducky Shine 3 is faster then a tablet :D and will last a very long time.

Certified Trolls/Razer employees/noobs

Hes entitled to his fact actually.  If you consider those virus ridden Razer Synapse 2.0 drivers good, then its evident the Razer Blackwidow is your only mechanical keyboard ;) Autohotkey is much better.

People who have only owned Razer Blackwidows really shouldnt be giving advice to others on which keyboards to purchase.  Hopefully the OP will ignore the trolls.

+1000

Don't call me a troll for buying, liking and recommending the Razer Blackwidow. It's excellent in my opinion :)

If you like Razer that is fine. Just know there are much better options out there. Plus not to mention Razer's support for my RMA for my black widow was terrible.

Enjoy those tacos now, for in 1000 years they will be illegal... eh Ha Ha Ha! I think we all know why.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Give tacos ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Poker 2 KB Review

I probably shouldn't extend the hate for BWU's but you're not allowed to use Macros in a lot of games.

storm trigger, QUickfire series from CM and ducky shine 3(or 2) keyboards are probably your best bet