Message added by colonel_mortis

For Floatplane support, please send an email to support@floatplane.com for assistance.

4 hours ago, colonel_mortis said:

The first time you tried to sign in with Floatplane, you will have been given an OAuth consent screen, where you authorized Floatplane to access your email and group. Subsequent clicks of the "Sign in with LTT forum" button will have gone straight back to floatplane with a proof of your authenticity, because you already authorized it.

If you clicked "Sign in with LTT forum" after creating your new account, it will have linked them without displaying a confirmation or consent screen on either end.

If you're sure that you didn't do that, it is possible that they were associated because they have the same email, but I'm not sure.

If you still think there's a security issue, I can escalate it to the FP team, but I suspect that it's one of the other things.

I didn't click on anything to login with LTT forums.  Further the fact that it linked  a completely different account toor  and not toor2 is what bothers me.

15 hours ago, toor said:

Not sure where to ask this, tried a few places including email but never heard anything back.  I've been trying on and off to recover a loging to floatplane.  The account (this one) was created on the forms and I tried to link it with  floatplane but that part ultimately failed since I never received an activation email (likely due to the address?).

I tried again last week but created a new account entirely on floatplane (toor2).  The weird thing .. ok outright disturbing - is the toor2 account got _linked_ to toor (this account), on the forums.   That should not have happened, at least I never authorized toor2 nor was I prompted to.  I'd imagine it was due to a cookie or some cross session leak.   Again I tried to reach floatplane support and I know you guys are busy but .... surely security issues are viewed with a bit more importance?  

Cheers

Unfortunately our records indicate a different story.

While your original account, "toor," was made some time back, the email confirmation message was never confirmed and so the account remains inactive. I believe support did take action on this ticket and I do certainly recall seeing a note regarding this account at some point.

Your second account, "toor2," appears to have been created by linking your forum account in through [More sign-in options] > [Sign in with LTT Forum]. Upon tapping this, Floatplane had you redirected to the LTT Forum website in order to gain an auth token, a process which can happen seamlessly if a web application has been given authorization previously (just as colonel_mortis has mentioned above).

Because you were logged in with the "toor" LTT Forum account at the time, this is the remote account which authorization was requested for.

After receiving your authorization, you were supposedly prompted with a form which looked very much like this:

toor2n.jpg

This looks a bit like our sign-up form. One key difference here, aside from the heading and cancel button, is that the email and username are both automatically populated with information from your remote (LTT Forum) account.

Once prompted with this form, you spent 6 minutes and 7.926 seconds before completing the account link process with valid data. This time was inevitably spent recognising that the automatically filled information was already in-use by your other account (the inactive "toor"), setting up another email, etc., before continuing on.

Everything appears to be working normally with regards to this process and there is no security issue immediately evident here. The fact that the forum account "toor" was linked to your Floatplane account "toor2" is not any cause for alarm: there is no restriction requiring that remote usernames or emails match those used on the Floatplane platform. In fact, such a restriction would cause a number of issues if implemented, as there are bound to be conflicts between different services.

If we were to automatically grant access to the "toor" Floatplane account simply because a remote account was found to have the same username or email, as I believe you may expect things to work, this would truly be a security issue. Such an exploit is absolutely prohibited.

If you truly desire the "toor" LTT Forum account be linked with a Floatplane account with matching username "toor," then you could unlink from "toor2" and link with the other account through the [Connected accounts] settings page on Floatplane. Because the other account in question is currently unverified, some steps must be taken to correct this first (PM me if interested – I'll have your sorted out!).

As a general caution: disposable mailboxes should be considered ill-advised for any important service which might contain personal information or linked payment methods. These mailboxes may not have security or uniqueness guarantees and could expose your account to security risks. Even when using a variant which supposedly implements the most secure practices, it can become a great hassle to prove account ownership in the case of support requests.

31 minutes ago, Yuki v~ said:

Unfortunately our records indicate a different story.

Do they now.. lets see...

While your original account, "toor," was made some time back, the email confirmation message was never confirmed and so the account remains inactive. I believe support did take action on this ticket and I do certainly recall seeing a note regarding this account at some point.

Which is what I said.   Since the account was never active on FP it should not have been possible to link.  But lets continue shall we?

Your second account, "toor2," appears to have been created by linking your forum account in through [More sign-in options] > [Sign in with LTT Forum]. Upon tapping this, Floatplane had you redirected to the LTT Forum website in order to gain an auth token, a process which can happen seamlessly if a web application has been given authorization previously (just as colonel_mortis has mentioned above).

Prove it, because you're contradicting yourself.   The account was created on FP, it was -not- linked with the fourms.

Because you were logged in with the "toor" LTT Forum account at the time, this is the remote account which authorization was requested for.

That directly contradicts above.  I didn't request the link, it happened automatically.  Fact that I was logged in is quite likely what happened yes but it was NOT AUTHORIIZED.  This is like Facebook granting access to a partners site simply by visiting such site.  If that happened, this would be all over the internet.

After receiving your authorization, you were supposedly prompted with a form which looked very much like this:

toor2n.jpg

This looks a bit like our sign-up form. One key difference here, aside from the heading and cancel button, is that the email and username are both automatically populated with information from your remote (LTT Forum) account.

Which did not happen.

Once prompted with this form, you spent 6 minutes and 7.926 seconds before completing the account link process with valid data. This time was inevitably spent recognising that the automatically filled information was already in-use by your other account (the inactive "toor"), setting up another email, etc., before continuing on.

No, actually, I spent time trying to ask Luke on twitch what he'd suggest to which I was told you'lll get to it, you're busy.  

Everything appears to be working normally with regards to this process and there is no security issue immediately evident here. The fact that the forum account "toor" was linked to your Floatplane account "toor2" is not any cause for alarm: there is no restriction

Except it was NOT AUTHORIZED.  I did NOT link toor2 to toor, you/FP automatically did that rather then kick the session.  

requiring that remote usernames or emails match those used on the Floatplane platform. In fact, such a restriction would cause a number of issues if implemented, as there are bound to be conflicts between different services.

Which I believe I pointed out elsewhere can be abused by registering accounts on one before the other.

If we were to automatically grant access to the "toor" Floatplane account simply because a remote account was found to have the same username or email, as I believe you may expect things to work, this would truly be a security issue. Such an exploit is absolutely prohibited.

Which is what you DID. 

If you truly desire the "toor" LTT Forum account be linked with a Floatplane account with matching username "toor," then you could unlink from "toor2" and link with the other account through the [Connected accounts] settings page on Floatplane. Because the other account in question is currently unverified, some steps must be taken to correct this first (PM me if interested – I'll have your sorted out!).

I don't think you grasp the issue here at all.   

As a general caution: disposable mailboxes should be considered ill-advised for any important service which might contain personal information or linked payment methods. These mailboxes may not have security or uniqueness guarantees and could expose your account to security risks. Even when using a variant which supposedly implements the most secure practices, it can become a great hassle to prove account ownership in the case of support requests.

This furthers my belief you have no idea what you're talking about guy.  Email is not a form of security period.    As has been pointed on this very site, providers get hacked (yahoo for example).   If you didn't want to support temporary email addresses why do you not simply STATE THAT?   Ironically that is the reason toor was originally created on the fourms and linked to FP.

To be clear, at no point did I authorize FP to link toor2 with the fourm login toor.  YOU / the site did this by hijacking an existing session withi them. 

cheers.

41 minutes ago, toor said:

snip

May I ask what it is that you want at this point? 

You've pointed out a potential security issue, which is something we absolutely value from our community members, and we appreciate it.

In this case upon further digging, though, we've found that our records do not match your recollection, so there's nothing really actionable here from our side. What do you need?

Would you like us to help you get your preferred accounts/usernames sorted out, or do you you just need a refund? Just trying to solve the problem so everyone is happy :)

Regards,

Linus

5 minutes ago, LinusTech said:

May I ask what it is that you want at this point? 

You've pointed out a potential security issue, which is something we absolutely value from our community members, and we appreciate it.

In this case upon further digging, though, we've found that our records do not match your recollection, so there's nothing really actionable here from our side. What do you need?

You value yet summarily dismiss it?   Simply saying "sorry, was a bug that was fixed now", would have been sufficient.  Instead you refuse to even acknowlege it.

5 minutes ago, LinusTech said:

Would you like us to help you get your preferred accounts/usernames sorted out, or do you you just need a refund? Just trying to solve the problem so everyone is happy :)

Regards,

Linus

Doesn't really matter at this point..   Kind of funny I guess given you didn't understand what VTP was the video 4 days ago about your 10G office network update.  I don't have much faith in LMG nor Floatplane security

1 hour ago, toor said:

Which is what I said.   Since the account was never active on FP it should not have been possible to link.  But lets continue shall we?

Exactly: your "toor" Floatplane.com account was never linked to anything. I don't believe it was suggested anything had been linked to this account.

1 hour ago, toor said:

Prove it, because you're contradicting yourself.   The account was created on FP, it was -not- linked with the fourms. 

I'm afraid the contradiction lies with you. It was never claimed that the account wasn't created on Floatplane.com. The account was created on Floatplane.com but was linked with your forum account because you took action to do so. We have record of this. For obvious reasons, security policy does not permit sharing the raw data.

1 hour ago, toor said:

That directly contradicts above.  I didn't request the link, it happened automatically.  Fact that I was logged in is quite likely what happened yes but it was NOT AUTHORIIZED.  This is like Facebook granting access to a partners site simply by visiting such site.  If that happened, this would be all over the internet.

Again, it is impossible to link without it being requested. One must first push the [More sign-in options] > [Sign in with LTT Forum] button. This requests an auth token. Next, the received token is used to create an account provided that you fill in the form which I provided a screenshot of in my prior post.

1 hour ago, toor said:

Except it was NOT AUTHORIZED.  I did NOT link toor2 to toor, you/FP automatically did that rather then kick the session.

There's no magic going on with the session. We don't automatically link from any source and there's nothing in the session that would trigger this. When you create an account normally (by the [Sign up] button), it does just that: creates an account. There is no functionality whatsoever to pull from LTT Forum data and magically merge forum accounts.

If you create an account by going through the [More sign-in options], then yes, you will be linked to the LTT Forum account in question. This is how things are meant to work. Our records indicate that this is what occurred.

1 hour ago, toor said:

Which I believe I pointed out elsewhere can be abused by registering accounts on one before the other. 

There's no abuse here. Let's take a look at some example:

Suppose the user "Yuki" on this LTT Forum wanted to link with Floatplane.com. They can absolutely do this. However, there already exists a user named "Yuki" on Floatplane.com, and I can guarantee that the Floatplane.com user is a different person. So when our LTT Forum user "Yuki" goes to link, they'll have to supply a separate username in order to link up.

This isn't a case of abuse, just the fact that Floatplane.com is a totally separate website, powered by a separate database. As a side-effect, there's a bunch of fresh, available usernames. We don't prevent anyone registering with a name just because it's used on the LTT Forum. It's all first-come, first-served.

1 hour ago, toor said:

Which is what you DID.

I'm sorry, but we really didn't. As I mentioned above (and some times prior), an account will only be created through link if specifically requested. It is absolutely impossible for an account to be linked without an auth token being requested by the user. It's as simple as that.

1 hour ago, toor said:

This furthers my belief you have no idea what you're talking about guy.  Email is not a form of security period.    As has been pointed on this very site, providers get hacked (yahoo for example).   If you didn't want to support temporary email addresses why do you not simply STATE THAT?   Ironically that is the reason toor was originally created on the fourms and linked to FP. 

With many disposable mailboxes one can specifically request whatever name they desire. Many of these services do not prevent multiple people requesting the same mailbox and they make no attempt to authenticate before doing so. If one user decided to make a Floatplane.com account with such a temporary mailbox service and a malicious party became aware of this, it would be trivial for the malicious party to claim the email in question and simply request a password reset.

There is an astronomical difference in the level of security offered by such disposable services and your typical mail providers. Disposable mailboxes will just give up an account for free. In comparison, any normal provider with a shred of common sense will require one to at least go through some hoops to get your password reset.

1 hour ago, toor said:

To be clear, at no point did I authorize FP to link toor2 with the fourm login toor.  YOU / the site did this by hijacking an existing session withi them. 

Floatplane does not "hijack" any session data. In fact, Floatplane has no access to your LTT Forum session data at all. This is the entire reason why you are redirected to linustechtips.com when requesting a connected-account link (to fetch and return an OAuth token), and this is the only way we are able to retrieve (very little) information about your account.

I'm sorry things aren't working how you'd expect, but I assure you that there is no issue with regards to security here.

If there is something we can take action on to make things better for you, please do let us know. As things stand now, this appears to be just a little misunderstanding.

15 minutes ago, toor said:

You value yet summarily dismiss it?   Simply saying "sorry, was a bug that was fixed now", would have been sufficient.  Instead you refuse to even acknowlege it.

Doesn't really matter at this point..   Kind of funny I guess given you didn't understand what VTP was the video 4 days ago about your 10G office network update.  I don't have much faith in LMG nor Floatplane security

I'm far from a networking expert, and that's not something that I hide. I assure you the fp team was cringing as hard as anyone else watching me and the LMG guys work on that :)

Yuki, AJ, and Luke, on the other hand, can handle this. Mortis (the community member who tried to help you earlier) knows his stuff too, but isn't really privvy to the inner workings on the fp side.

As for the apology, we've made plenty of mistakes and we've owned them - including a data breach here on the forum in the past - but in this case, our logs (which we trust over user recollection or why bother keeping them?) indicate it was a simple case of getting a couple wires crossed during a somewhat confusing migration process. So I'd like to apologize for any confusion or unclear instructions :(

Linus

edit: Yuki has replied once again, and this'll be our last word on the subject. We're really busy processing migrations from others who need help and we just can't allocate any more resources to this. 

@Yuki v~ thanks for the detailed explanation. We can link it to anyone else with concerns about this process in the future. :)

10 minutes ago, Yuki v~ said:

Exactly: your "toor" Floatplane.com account was never linked to anything. Nobody claimed that it was. Let's continue.

toor2 on FP is linked to toor on the fourms.

FP had no authorization to toor on LTT, period.

I'm afraid the contradiction lies with you. It was never claimed that the account wasn't created on Floatplane.com. The account was created on Floatplane.com but was linked with your forum account because you took action to do so. We have record of this. For obvious reasons, security policy does not permit sharing the raw data.

You're full of it dude.  What freaking account are you referring to??  I never said toor was usuable on FP, I said toor2 - which was just created - is and linked automatically.

Again, it is impossible to link without it being requested. One must first push the [More sign-in options] > [Sign in with LTT Forum] button. This requests an auth token. Next, the received token is used to create an account provided that you fill in the form which I provided a screenshot of in my prior post.

You provided a marked up screenshot, what does that prove exactly?   Did FP send an email to validate the authorization?  Did it require entering the 2fa which IS setup on LTT?  No.   You relied on implicit consent ye tyou're acting like you received otherwise.  It fundamentally broke the entire point of 2FA.

There's no magic going on with the session. We don't automatically link from any source and there's nothing in the session that would trigger this. When you create an account normally (by the [Sign up] button), it does just that: creates an account. There is no functionality whatsoever to pull from LTT Forum data and magically merge forums accounts.

That is interesting because one of the original errors I had setting up toor was that the account already existed.  

If you create an account by going through the [More sign-in options], then yes, you will be linked to the LTT Forum account in question. This is how things are meant to work. Our records indicate that this is what occurred.

TO WHAT ACCOUNT???  I did NOT DO THAT for toor2 dude.

There's no abuse here. Let's take a look at some example:

Suppose the user "Yuki" on this LTT Forum wanted to link with Floatplane.com. They can absolutely do this. However, there already exists a user named "Yuki" on Floatplane.com, and I can guarantee that the Floatplane.com user is a different person. So when our LTT Forum user "Yuki" goes to link, they'll have to supply a separate username in order to link up.

That was my point when toor was originally created (NOT toor2).  

This isn't a case of abuse, just the fact that Floatplane.com is a totally separate website, powered by a separate database. As a side-effect, there's a bunch of fresh, available usernames. We don't prevent anyone registering with a name just because it's used on the LTT Forum. It's all first-come, first-served.

I'm sorry, but we really didn't. As I mentioned above (and many times prior), an account will only be created through link if specifically requested. It is absolutely impossible for an account to be linked without an auth token being requested by the user. It's as simple as that.

With many disposable mailboxes one can specifically request whatever name they desire. Many of these services do not prevent multiple people requesting the same mailbox and they make no attempt to authenticate before doing so. If one user decided to make a Floatplane.com account with such a temporary mailbox service and a malicious party became aware of this, it would be trivial for the malicious party to claim the email in question and simply request a password reset.

What on earth is that based on.  You're going to vouch for every email provider?  What on earth guy.  You have no idea how the account email account is created nor access.

2FA is explicity setup on LTT to prevent such access.  An external threat is no different from internal with regard to this.  I -sincerely- hope the 2FA authentication path is ENTIRELY different else you compromise the whole system through one breach.

There is an astronomical difference in the level of security offered by such disposable services and your typical mail providers. Disposable mailboxes will just give up an account for free. In comparison, any normal provider with a shred of common sense will require one to at least go through some hoops to get your password reset.

There is indeed an imense difference in security but again what are you basing the risk of a compromised anonymous email being higher then Yahoo, Gmail or any other provider?   The disposable email address is protection against YOU getting hacked and has served me well for over a decade.

Floatplane does not "hijack" any session data. In fact, Floatplane has no access to your LTT Forum session data at all. This is the entire reason why you are redirected to linustechtips.com when requesting a connected-account link (to fetch and return an OAuth token), and this is the only way we are able to retrieve (very little) information about your account.

I of course have no idea how the two systems are tied now, my observations were based on when I created toor (NOT TOOR2)

I'm sorry things aren't working how you'd expect, but I assure you that there is no issue with regards to security here.

If there is something we can take action on to make things better for you, please do let us know. As things stand now, this appears to be just a little misunderstanding.

Im having issues changing my email address on floatplane its ask for username/password to confirm changes. 

The problem is I login to FP with my LTT forum account which is logged into using Steam. 

No matter what password I use whether its the Steam password or the LTT forum account password I get  "An Error Occured No such user found matching the given password and username C2dan88".

So how do I change my email address?

11 hours ago, C2dan88 said:

Im having issues changing my email address on floatplane its ask for username/password to confirm changes. 

The problem is I login to FP with my LTT forum account which is logged into using Steam. 

No matter what password I use whether its the Steam password or the LTT forum account password I get  "An Error Occured No such user found matching the given password and username C2dan88".

So how do I change my email address?

When you made your Floatplane.com account by connecting in your LTT Forum account, a separate set of credentials were created for the Floatplane.com account. These credentials are expected when updating certain user settings, as we don't have access to the Steam or LTT Forum databases to verify supplied passwords/usernames for those services.

If you would like to generate a new password for your Floatplane.com account, you can simply navigate to the login screen and tap the [Forgotten your password?] link. If you enter your current email in here and follow the link in our reset password message, you should be able to set a fresh password. With this newly set password, you should be able to authenticate properly on the settings page.

If you created your account via connection a while back, then you may not have been given the option to set a password for your account, but only a username instead. In which case a password reset as described above will be necessary.

I found a bug with the Floatplane <-> Discord connection.

If you change your Discord username after linking your account to Floatplane, log in with Discord will no longer work, and the Floatplane won't update to your current username without disconnecting your Discord account then reconnecting it.

Seems like Discord authentication is being handled by user tag, rather than unique ID.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

1 hour ago, TheKDub said:

I found a bug with the Floatplane <-> Discord connection.

If you change your Discord username after linking your account to Floatplane, log in with Discord will no longer work, and the Floatplane won't update to your current username without disconnecting your Discord account then reconnecting it.

Seems like Discord authentication is being handled by user tag, rather than unique ID.

This is a known issue which was recently brought to light in a discussion over at: 

TLDR: Discord authentication checks for both a matching unique ID and username. Removing the extra username check for Discord will have all well again in the case where usernames change.

Thanks for your report – we'll have this sorted out as soon as possible!

19 hours ago, Yuki v~ said:

When you made your Floatplane.com account by connecting in your LTT Forum account, a separate set of credentials were created for the Floatplane.com account. These credentials are expected when updating certain user settings, as we don't have access to the Steam or LTT Forum databases to verify supplied passwords/usernames for those services.

If you would like to generate a new password for your Floatplane.com account, you can simply navigate to the login screen and tap the [Forgotten your password?] link. If you enter your current email in here and follow the link in our reset password message, you should be able to set a fresh password. With this newly set password, you should be able to authenticate properly on the settings page.

If you created your account via connection a while back, then you may not have been given the option to set a password for your account, but only a username instead. In which case a password reset as described above will be necessary.

I no have access to the email address I used when creating my FP account that is why I want to change my email address.

1 hour ago, C2dan88 said:

I no have access to the email address I used when creating my FP account that is why I want to change my email address.

I've PM'd you so we can get this solved in a setting that ensures your privacy.

Hello, I have sent a few e-mails regarding support on this migration. If anyone here could help me, it would be appreciated. The issue I'm having is regarding the fact that I've a dual membership... I'd prefer to go through a more private means to explain the matters of my issue.

Thank you!!!

I have an issue on Floatplane site. I think it is a bug.

steps i to do reproduce the issue:

1) Open a new tab with a video, don't click on play button

2) Activate VPN (previously i used another VPN provider, but now i use PIA, works with both of them)

3) click play button on the video

after that video cannot load. progress circle spins forever. i have to reload the page to enjoy my video. 

Problem remains the same even when i deactivate VPN connection before hitting the play button between steps 2 and 3.

I understand that there's a massive migration is happening right now, and this bug isn't a big deal, just an annoying little bug, so i would hope Floatplane team could look into it in the future.

Sorry for bad Ingrish

I am having trouble with the search function on the videos tab or LTT. Chrome on MacOS.

Or is that little magnifying glass search icon just a place holder?

1 hour ago, Santiman717 said:

I am having trouble with the search function on the videos tab or LTT. Chrome on MacOS.

Or is that little magnifying glass search icon just a place holder?

Most likely latter, if you don't get any action with it.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

• 3 weeks later...

Are there any ways to contribute technically to Floatplane? 

1 hour ago, richj said:

Are there any ways to contribute technically to Floatplane? 

watch out for the "we're hiring" videos and see it you meet the requirements

33 minutes ago, BubblyCharizard said:

watch out for the "we're hiring" videos and see it you meet the requirements

fair enough - not looking for a job. Floatplane guys, please look at adding some security oriented headers at least. OWASP ?

Hi,

Just wanted to know if there's any way to open FP-exclusive topics like this. I got the link from one of the vids that's unreleased yet in Youtube.

image.png.199fab2e1031f1508faa3792ee19fd15.png

I sent an email to the support email address, but it's kinda vague for me:

image.png.e139d53742a91d34183f09e62318502f.png

If I understand this correctly, does this mean that I won't be able to open FP-only topics until the migration is done?

1 hour ago, takagi19 said:

Hi,

Just wanted to know if there's any way to open FP-exclusive topics like this. I got the link from one of the vids that's unreleased yet in Youtube.

image.png.199fab2e1031f1508faa3792ee19fd15.png

I sent an email to the support email address, but it's kinda vague for me:

image.png.e139d53742a91d34183f09e62318502f.png

If I understand this correctly, does this mean that I won't be able to open FP-only topics until the migration is done?

The same content is posted on floatplane.com, but yes you are correct.

HTTP/2 203

10 hours ago, colonel_mortis said:

The same content is posted on floatplane.com, but yes you are correct.

Got it. Thanks! :)

Hello Floatplane team,

Been having an issue for quite a while and I apologise for not reporting it sooner.

Whether I am accessing Floatplane on my phone or a PC, the issue exists.

Essentially, if I jump back or forth in the video timeline to either re-watch something or skip a section of the video, it will fail to play. This sometimes happens on the first attempt, sometimes after a couple of adjustments. The only way to start the video again is to refresh the page. 

The two primary methods I use for viewing content are an iPhone 8+ using the Safari browser and a Windows 10 PC using Chrome. Both devices are always updated with any available updates. 

If you need any further information, please let me know.