Zen needs a new Linux Kernel

zMeul

source: https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=AMD-Ryzen-Newer-Kernel

Tux.png

Phoronix got their hands on some info and it appears that Zen CPUs will need a new kernel to operate at full functionality

I am told that if using Ubuntu 16.10 / Ubuntu 16.04.2 as a base state for AMD Ryzen, users should generally be okay. In other words, you won't get a kernel oops on boot or anything dramatic like that but could be missing some functionality. However, you will really be better off with a newer Linux kernel.

Ubuntu 16.10 shipped with kernel 4.8 and the new changes are part of 4.10 kernel (backported to 4.9.10) - the issue (if it boots) is that SMT will be disabled with older kernels

I was pointed out in particular to this kernel commit that only landed in early February: "x86/CPU/AMD: Fix Zen SMT topology." It notes in the commit message, "After: a33d331761bc ("x86/CPU/AMD: Fix Bulldozer topology") our SMT scheduling topology for Fam17h systems is broken, because the ThreadId is included in the ApicId when SMT is enabled. So, without further decoding cpu_core_id is unique for each thread rather than the same for threads on the same core. This didn't affect systems with SMT disabled. Make cpu_core_id be what it is defined to be." That mentioned regression was introduced only in January but had been pulled back into stable kernel point releases from Linux 4.6 and newer. This fix for the (Ry)zen SMT topology is in Linux 4.10 and was back-ported to Linux 4.9.10+ for those still riding the 4.9 kernel. 

at least people on Linux need to update their OS' Kernel and not switch the entire fucking OS ....

Ubuntu 17.04 (Zesty Zapus) is planned to ship in April and will be based on Kernel 4.9.x

---

secondary issue: most AM4 mobos will ship with Realtek ALC1220 audio codec - this will get support only in Kernel 4.11

Edited by zMeul

2 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

I wonder if SMT will work on Windows 7.

at this point I highly doubt it

Not surprised.

Spoiler

Quiet Whirl | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Mobo: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200 Mhz Graphics card: MSI GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER GAMING X TRIO PSU: Corsair RMx Series RM550x Case: Be quiet! Pure Base 600

Buffed HPHP ProBook 430 G4 | CPU: Intel Core i3-7100U RAM: 4GB DDR4 2133Mhz GPU: Intel HD 620 SSD: Some 128GB M.2 SATA

Retired:

Melting plastic | Lenovo IdeaPad Z580 | CPU: Intel Core i7-3630QM RAM: 8GB DDR3 GPU: nVidia GeForce GTX 640M HDD: Western Digital 1TB

The Roaring Beast | CPU: Intel Core i5 4690 (BCLK @ 104MHz = 4,05GHz) Cooler: Akasa X3 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97-D3H RAM: Kingston 16GB DDR3 (2x8GB) Graphics card: Gigabyte GTX 970 4GB (Core: +130MHz, Mem: +230MHz) SSHD: Seagate 1TB SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB HHD: WD Red 4TB PSU: Fractal Design Essence 500W Case: Zalman Z11 Plus

It's different to Intel's implementation, so I'm not surprised.

Pixelbook Go i5 Pixel 4 XL 

42 minutes ago, zMeul said:

at least people on Linux need to update their OS' Kernel and not switch the entire fucking OS ....

Ubuntu 16.x doesn't fully support Ryzen

Ubuntu 17.x does fully support Ryzen

Windows 7 doesn't fully support Ryzen

Windows 10 does fully support Ryzen

Sorry come again? Yes you can upgrade your kernel but that isn't exactly a small upgrade, sure easy but easy != small. 

Lets not turn this in to a debate around the modularity of Linux versus Windows but that statement is a very rose tinted view, core difference to Windows 10 is an updated kernel along with GUI.

At what point do you consider calling something switching entire OS with Linux? When you do a major kernel update which breaks a whole bunch of applications and their dependencies? Which then all need to be upgraded as well, then you find one of the dependencies isn't updated yet so you either have to complie that yourself or wait? But then to compile that dependency you need more dependent software and tools/utilities?

Yes I have been in the above situation more than once so yea... wouldn't call this a win for Linux, just getting hit with a slightly smaller (or varying sized) hammer than compared with Windows.

5 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Lets not turn this in to a debate around the modularity of Linux versus Windows but that statement is a very rose tinted view, core difference to Windows 10 is an updated kernel along with GUI.

I wasn't planning to, but since you opened that door .. who knows what will come knocking ^_^

more to the point was the fact that new CPUs need some sort of OS support and this debate was sparked when future Intel CPUs (at that point) would not be supported on older OSes

the issue was bought into light again, with Zen and W7 support

Edited by zMeul

2 minutes ago, zMeul said:

I wasn't planning to, but since you opened that door .. who knows what will come knocking ^_^

Well I was kinda meaning it would be pointless, like trying to reinvent the wheel :P. Or is it more like preaching to the choir?

The ping pong ball represents the same argument ;)

G8LEA4O.gif

1 minute ago, leadeater said:

Well I was kinda meaning it would be pointless, like trying to reinvent the wheel :P. Or is it more like preaching to the choir?

read my updated post above

The-Shining-008.jpg?w=700&q=55&auto=form

12 minutes ago, zMeul said:

more to the point was the fact that new CPUs need some sort of OS support and this debate was sparked when future Intel CPUs (at that point) would not be supported on older OSes

the issue was bought into light again, with Zen and W7 support

Well nothing kills a joke like saying it twice so....

1 hour ago, LAwLz said:

<Insert comment from "you know who" about how CPUs don't need drivers>

xD

Just now, leadeater said:

Well nothing kills a joke like saying it twice so....

xD

I'm afraid I don't know who <insert name here> is o.O

4 minutes ago, zMeul said:

Well I just got the double combo, saying a joke twice and having to explain it. Person being referenced in a user who is no longer a member of this forum anymore, you may or may not have noticed his lack of presence recently.

11 minutes ago, zMeul said:

Remember Patrick?

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Yeah, AMD is pretty far behind Intel in terms of both CPU and GPU drivers for Linux, but hey 4.10 is technically out, even if it's not available through any distro's repositories yet.

So if I upgraded from my i5 to an R3 or R5 CPU would my computer not run as good on the latest version of Ubuntu?

19 minutes ago, Granular said:

Yeah, AMD is pretty far behind Intel in terms of both CPU and GPU drivers for Linux, but hey 4.10 is technically out, even if it's not available through any distro's repositories yet.

I am pretty sure Manjaro and Arch run 4.10 in stable already.

[EDIT]

The announcement for Manjaro: https://forum.manjaro.org/t/stable-update-2017-02-24-kernels-mesa-deepin-manjaro-tools-thunderbird-gtk3-haskell/18330

Since Manjaro usually lags behind Arch a tiny bit, my assumption is that Arch also supports 4.10.

I deal in shitposts and shitpost accessories.

For now people will have to run 4.10 or higher....but most likely the Ryzen support will be back-ported into major LTS kernels in the future.

But comparing Linux to Windows in this regard is just nonsense. I have to apply an update which literally takes seconds, insted of having to go from an ok OS (Win 7), to a complete pile of shit, just to get some features...

4 minutes ago, MoraisGT said:

But comparing Linux to Windows in this regard is just nonsense. I have to apply an update which literally takes seconds, insted of having to go from an ok OS (Win 7), to a complete pile of shit, just to get some features...

Especially since some Linux distros offer a GUI to maintain and switch between different Kernels.

I deal in shitposts and shitpost accessories.

Just now, Urishima said:

Especially since some Linux distros offer a GUI to maintain and switch between different Kernels.

Like Manjaro for example...totally right ;)

1 hour ago, leadeater said:

Well I just got the double combo, saying a joke twice and having to explain it. 

We call that a ring out and perfect at the same time. In language of Soul Calibur

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

This was quite similar to Windows 7 requiring Service Pack 1 to run Avx. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

5 hours ago, leadeater said:

Yes I have been in the above situation more than once so yea... wouldn't call this a win for Linux, just getting hit with a slightly smaller (or varying sized) hammer than compared with Windows.

Certainly not for Ubuntu but it is a win for Arch Linux which takes greater advantage of the modularity (At the cost of a far more steep learning curve for newcomers though) 

-------

Current Rig

-------

6 hours ago, LAwLz said:

<Insert comment from "you know who" about how CPUs don't need drivers>

I heard if you say his name in the mirror 3 times, he will appear and call your CPU a Xeon.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

1 minute ago, Notional said:

I heard if you say his name in the mirror 3 times, he will appear and call your CPU a Xeon.

Dude this is clearly an Intel Xeon SKU

gdgdgdrr.PNG