Moving mouse causes fps drop in CPU intensive games only.

Hello, I noticed that framerate would drop pretty hard while playing some games when I look around or move my mouse. So I decided to test out many games and found that this happens only in CPU intensive games, like Battlefield 1 and Watch dogs 2 (I assume it's cpu intensive because it's got the same effect). In games like GTA 5, Shadow warrior 2, or Witcher 3, the game runs perfectly even when moving my mouse. I did some more testing and found that the fps drop amount decreases as my framerate becomes lower, it's really weird. For example: In battlefield 1 campaign, I get 120 fps while looking at a certain point and when I move my mouse it drops to about 95-105 fps so about 20 fps is decreased by just moving the mouse, now as I play at 200% resolution scaling and TAA on game gets pretty demanding and my framerate comes down to about 40-70, so when I move my mouse then, I get an fps drop of only 6 tops (And even lower drops when it's below 60 fps, about 2-4 fps tops). Same thing happens in watch dogs 2 in CPU intensive areas like the middle of the city. However, lowering polling rate obviously fixes this but as you can tell that's not a good solution for someone who plays a fast paced first person shooter like battlefield 1. 

The thing is.... I've got an i5 4690K overclocked to 4.5Ghz (I've tried default bios without overclock too), which should easily handle any polling rate I throw at it (Or maybe it doesn't?). I've heard that polling rate isn't a problem for CPUs to handle nowadays, especially a beefy CPU like mine. I've tried everything from BIOS updates, to clean boot, to DPC latency checking using latencymon (Latency there seems to be fine, only reaching the slightly brown area), to motherboard chipset drivers, to USB drivers for my logitech G502, to even clean installing my graphics driver and downgrading it. None of them do anything. Is this something I should worry about or is this normal? I really want to fix this and can't accept lowering polling rate as a solution. There MUST be something wrong somewhere else.

Specs:
GTX 1070
i5 4690K
16 gb dual channel DDR3 ADATA ram
Windows 10

2TB+1TB Toshiba 7200rpm drives
Gigabyte Z97X Gaming 3 motherboard.

If there's any more info you want just ask me! Thanks.

EDIT: I'll also add that moving my mouse causes gpu usage to spike down from 95% to 75%-90% in the games that I tested containing the fps drop and the usage goes back to being stable when I stop moving my mouse. Moving the camera with a controller has no effect on fps though. So this is strictly a mouse problem I think.

CPU: i5 4690K OC'd to 4.5Ghz      |             

|GPU: MSI GTX 960 2G 100me edition@ 1536mhz

PSU: Corsair CX750M                       |

|Case: Thermaltake V31 Core

RAM: ADATA 16GB dual channel    |

|CPU cooler: Hyper 212 EVO

Hard Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7400rpm  |

| SSD: None

I have had the same problem for a few weeks now.  I even went so far as to reinstall windows 10 and still have the problem.  When its happening the cpu usage goes to 100% and gpu usage is dropping to close to 0%.  I am running an i5 6600k at 4.5ghz and an rx480 and also have a g502.  I have tried dropping the polling rate to the lowest setting and it made no difference at all.  kill some background tasks seemed to help sometimes, but other times it makes no difference.  One thing I can say is to go into the xbox app and disable the dvr streaming.  that didnt fix the problem completely but it helped a lot.  I went from getting around 30fps in overwatch back up to 100fps or so but still not what I was getting a few weeks ago before the problem started.   It did stop the problem for several of my other games though.  I think overwatch just has problems, but I also think something weird is going on either with windows 10 or a driver and I cant figure out what it is. 

18 minutes ago, intender said:

I have had the same problem for a few weeks now.  I even went so far as to reinstall windows 10 and still have the problem.  When its happening the cpu usage goes to 100% and gpu usage is dropping to close to 0%.  I am running an i5 6600k at 4.5ghz and an rx480 and also have a g502.  I have tried dropping the polling rate to the lowest setting and it made no difference at all.  kill some background tasks seemed to help sometimes, but other times it makes no difference.  One thing I can say is to go into the xbox app and disable the dvr streaming.  that didnt fix the problem completely but it helped a lot.  I went from getting around 30fps in overwatch back up to 100fps or so but still not what I was getting a few weeks ago before the problem started.   It did stop the problem for several of my other games though.  I think overwatch just has problems, but I also think something weird is going on either with windows 10 or a driver and I cant figure out what it is. 

Thanks for the reply. I've got game dvr turned off in the first place so that's a no go. I also checked gpu usage and found that moving my mouse causes gpu usage spikes from 95% usage to 75-90% usage and it goes up and down that way until I stop moving my mouse which helps it go back to a stable usage. Keep in mind I'm not moving the camera in game to a whole different direction, I just move my mouse in very small circles while looking at the same direction, so I don't think this fps drop should exist.

CPU: i5 4690K OC'd to 4.5Ghz      |             

|GPU: MSI GTX 960 2G 100me edition@ 1536mhz

PSU: Corsair CX750M                       |

|Case: Thermaltake V31 Core

RAM: ADATA 16GB dual channel    |

|CPU cooler: Hyper 212 EVO

Hard Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7400rpm  |

| SSD: None

• 3 months later...

its caused by river turner! , you are welcome sir :) just close it or close msi afterburner you will see