Wife wants an iMac :(

Syphno
2 minutes ago, kaiju_wars said:

Actually, the Core i5 model from 2012 was also a dual core... but it did have upgradeable RAM.

Yes, they actually do.  

If you ever actually sold Macs before, you would know the used market is amazing cause you will get a good portion of what you originally paid, back.

Hell, I sold my 2014 Mac Mini two years later for only $50 less than what I paid for it.

NO! 

Just now, <Aleks> said:

NO! 

Yes.

Clearly you've never dealt with selling used Apple products before.

Currently focusing on my video game collection.

It doesn't matter what you play games on, just play good games you enjoy.

6 minutes ago, <Aleks> said:

They don't hold up really well, they will drop when new ones come out.

No, they keep value. I know this from selling my own ones. And a quick look on eBay shows even 2013 iMacs selling for 60% - 70% original value... after 4 years! 

Just now, daniielrp said:

No, they keep value. I know this from selling my own ones. And a quick look on eBay shows even 2013 iMacs selling for 60% - 70% original value... after 4 years! 

Hell, I sold my old 15" PowerBook G4 for almost $200.

This is $200 for a laptop, on POWERPC architecture.

Just now, kaiju_wars said:

Yes.

Clearly you've never dealt with selling used Apple products before.

I have that's why i find it hard to believe, i sold an IMAC for a friend it went for 300pounds cheaper than he bought it a year ago.

1 minute ago, <Aleks> said:

I have that's why i find it hard to believe, i sold an IMAC for a friend it went for 300pounds cheaper than he bought it a year ago.

Then he got ripped off.

Just now, kaiju_wars said:

Hell, I sold my old 15" PowerBook G4 for almost $200.

This is $200 for a laptop, on POWERPC architecture.

Yeh I've seen stores selling G3/G4 iMacs for £100 ish. They're ppc and 15 years old. But people still pay for them.

Yeh I've seen stores selling G3/G4 iMacs for £100 ish. They're ppc and 15 years old. But people still pay for them.

Well, G3 based Macs are hitting "collectors items" now.  G4 based Macs are starting to get there.

So are old lenovo thinkpads... Don't reply i don't want to argue with you, it's a waste of my keyboards lifespan.

Just now, <Aleks> said:

So are old lenovo thinkpads... Don't reply i don't want to argue with you, it's a waste of my keyboards lifespan.

I don't get it? So another product also keeps value... how does that apply here? 

2 minutes ago, kaiju_wars said:

Well, G3 based Macs are hitting "collectors items" now.  G4 based Macs are starting to get there.

I'll keep hold of mine for now then ;) 

Just now, M.Yurizaki said:

Oh yeah, you're right.

Stupid Intel naming.

Hey, upgradeable RAM is still a reason to prefer the 2012 model over the 2014 model.

Lay out her options, tell her what you think, and ultimately let her do whatever she wants since it will be HER computer.

There is no possible downside other than you feeling bad a little bit for paying more for less.

If she isn't satisfied in the end, it's not your fault, she picked it even against your recommendation.

If she goes with your choice, and something bad happens you will never hear the end of it.

So basically, is it worth racking your brains over someone else's computer?

22 minutes ago, kaiju_wars said:

my i phone 2g is a collector item. 

Just now, nerdslayer1 said:

my i phone 2g is a collector item. 

That too.  I saw recently they are just now starting to creep over $50 for one.

5 minutes ago, kaiju_wars said:

That too.  I saw recently they are just now starting to creep over $50 for one.

missing few zeroes there, a working 2g with a box will cost over 500 used now.

2 hours ago, Syphno said:

$999 USD I'm obviously building my own PC but my wife said she wants this prebuilt from Amazon... anybody out there with one can tell me how they hold up, I think the price is fair btw

1.6GHz dual-core Intel Core i5

• Turbo Boost up to 2.7GHz
  • 8GB Onboard Memory (Configurable to 16GB)
  • 1TB (5400-rpm) Hard Drive
  • Intel HD Graphics 6000
  • 21.5" LED-backlit IPS Display
  • 1920 x 1080 Resolution

Hackintosh ; ] 

4 minutes ago, nerdslayer1 said:

missing few zeroes there, a working 2g with a box will cost over 500 used now.

Ah, I was talking about a used one in general.  I knew the boxed ones go for quite a bit more.

11 hours ago, dizmo said:

Why would you get a more expensive board to remove the feature that makes it more expensive? :P

Because it's a ITX board and works flawlessly with macOS, apart from the WIFI card, because macOS doesn't support Intel cards and without it things like Continuity and Handoff don't work.

Spoiler

Quiet Whirl | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Mobo: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200 Mhz Graphics card: MSI GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER GAMING X TRIO PSU: Corsair RMx Series RM550x Case: Be quiet! Pure Base 600

Buffed HPHP ProBook 430 G4 | CPU: Intel Core i3-7100U RAM: 4GB DDR4 2133Mhz GPU: Intel HD 620 SSD: Some 128GB M.2 SATA

Retired:

Melting plastic | Lenovo IdeaPad Z580 | CPU: Intel Core i7-3630QM RAM: 8GB DDR3 GPU: nVidia GeForce GTX 640M HDD: Western Digital 1TB

The Roaring Beast | CPU: Intel Core i5 4690 (BCLK @ 104MHz = 4,05GHz) Cooler: Akasa X3 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97-D3H RAM: Kingston 16GB DDR3 (2x8GB) Graphics card: Gigabyte GTX 970 4GB (Core: +130MHz, Mem: +230MHz) SSHD: Seagate 1TB SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB HHD: WD Red 4TB PSU: Fractal Design Essence 500W Case: Zalman Z11 Plus

I agree with the poster who said take your wife to the Apple Store. Treat her to an iMac. There's not much more important in life than making your wife happy. Just get one with a ssd as already been mentioned. You definitely don't need an i7 for her needs, an i5 is fine. A 27 inch would impress the hell out of her though, if you have the room for it. Other than that, minimum spec is fine, including 8gb ram. That's all I had in my 27 inch i7 iMac for years and I was a fairly heavy user and never had memory problems. 

And when I sold it I got 750 euros for it with an hour of posting the ad. It was 5 years old and paid for my gtx 1080 ?

Al the best. 

Love not hate

Buy a Mac :)

Bespoke Software Engineer

Laptop: MacBook Air (13-inch, Early 2015) - 8GB RAM - Intel Core i5 1.6GHz - Intel HD Graphics 6000 1536 MB

DesktopGAMEMAX Onyx - AMD FX6300 Black Edition 6 Core (Overclocked to 4.1GHz) - GIGABYTE NVIDIA GTX 1050Ti Overclocked - MSI NVIDIA GTX 750Ti Gaming 1085MHz - HyperX Savage 8 GB 1866 MHz DDR3 - MSI 970 Gaming - Corsair CP-9020015-UK - Kingston SSDNow UV400 120 GB Solid State Drive

19 minutes ago, TheSuspect said:

Ask why she'd want an iMac. It's pretty overrated.

So what you're saying is his wife should buy what you think is good? For crying out loud, she likes iMacs, why do you care if she has one? And speaking as someone who has years of mac and pc experience they are fine computers that, apart from gaming, can do anything a pc can do. 

Love not hate