Case fan plug directly into PSU?

joem2201plays

Can I plug my Thermaltake AF0030 (120mm Red LED case fan) directly into my PSU? My PSU is a Thermaltake 750W Litepower Gen2 with a 6x 4pin additional peripheral cables.

The case fan comes with a 3-pin to 4-pin peripheral connector adapter. The fan has a starting voltage of 9v and a standard rated voltage of 12v. 

The description of the Thermaltake AF0030 says that you can plug straight into your PSU, but just to double check I came to here.

Thanks!

3 minutes ago, joem2201plays said:

Can I plug my Thermaltake AF0030 (120mm Red LED case fan) directly into my PSU? My PSU is a Thermaltake 750W Litepower Gen2 with a 6x 4pin additional peripheral cables.

The case fan comes with a 3-pin to 4-pin peripheral connector adapter. The fan has a starting voltage of 9v and a standard rated voltage of 12v. 

The description of the Thermaltake AF0030 says that you can plug straight into your PSU, but just to double check I came to here.

Thanks!

Don't know why you'd want to, but yeah

Don't talk about stale memes.

Just now, Acorn Eyes said:

I don't have enough motherboard 3 or 4 pin connectors for my fans. I currently have 6 case fans that I need to connect.

4 minutes ago, joem2201plays said:

Thanks!

not the best idea. these days fans normally plug into your motherboard. so find a fan that is compatible with your cpu and motherboard

Just now, Acorn Eyes said:

Also in addition, most things plugged into a power supply will run at full speed. Unless it is told otherwise.

4 minutes ago, joem2201plays said:

Thanks!

Yes you can but most will have the adapters setup at 12V so it will run the fan at full speed and may be loud. 

2 minutes ago, joem2201plays said:

I don't have enough motherboard 3 or 4 pin connectors for my fans. I currently have 6 case fans that I need to connect.

Buy one of these, whichever you think would fit or look the best. All you have to do is plug it into a 4 pin slot and it will control the speed of every single fan through motherboard since you did display a 3 pin fan and not a PWM fan.

https://www.amazon.com/Swiftech-8W-PWM-SPL-ST-Way-PWM-Splitter-Sata/dp/B00IF6R4C8

https://www.amazon.com/SilverStone-System-Cables-Black-CPF04/dp/B00VNW556I

https://www.amazon.com/JBtek-Black-Sleeved-Splitter-Computer/dp/B01GZPEQW6/

12 minutes ago, joem2201plays said:

-SNIP-

As mentioned by phongle getting a fan splitter can aleviate those issues and let you control the speed. 

5 minutes ago, phongle123 said:

Buy one of these, whichever you think would fit or look the best. All you have to do is plug it into a 4 pin slot and it will control the speed of every single fan through motherboard since you did display a 3 pin fan and not a PWM fan.

https://www.amazon.com/Swiftech-8W-PWM-SPL-ST-Way-PWM-Splitter-Sata/dp/B00IF6R4C8

https://www.amazon.com/SilverStone-System-Cables-Black-CPF04/dp/B00VNW556I

https://www.amazon.com/JBtek-Black-Sleeved-Splitter-Computer/dp/B01GZPEQW6/

Just to add the only one that will work for 3 pin fans will be the JBtek unit as the others are externally powered, if you plug in a 3 pin fan they will only run at full speed. Just be sure your not overoading the fan header, a good rule of thumb is no more than 3-4 fans per header if your drawing power from it.

7 minutes ago, W-L said:

As mentioned by phongle getting a fan splitter can aleviate those issues and let you control the speed. 

Just to add the only one that will work for 3 pin fans will be the JBtek unit as the others are externally powered, if you plug in a 3 pin fan they will only run at full speed. Just be sure your not overoading the fan header, a good rule of thumb is no more than 3-4 fans per header if your drawing power from it.

Yes, the ones I listed are powered externally since you were talking about powering stuff from your PSU so that mean's you don't have to worry about overpowering the fan header since it's not drawing power from it.

And to add onto W-L's statement, I don't know the exact Amps that a header can provide out but you can probably find it on Google. But if you read the label of each fan, it will tell you how many AMPs the fan can draw at max RPMs and that's how you determine how many of each fans can go into a single header depending on the fans combined AMPs.

3 minutes ago, phongle123 said:

Yes, the ones I listed are powered externally since you were talking about powering stuff from your PSU. And to add onto W-L's statement, I don't know the exact Amps that a header can provide out but you can probably find it on Google. But if you read the label of each fan, it will tell you how many AMPs the fan can draw at max RPMs and that's how you determine how many of each fans can go into a single header depending on the fans combined AMPs.

With Asus it's listed in the manual. I know that with the maxumus boards they're all rated for about 1A which is probably enough for 2-3 fans depending on the draw. The fan manufacturer should have the specs for power draw listed on their site or in the manual for the fan. 

6 minutes ago, phongle123 said:

Yes, the ones I listed are powered externally since you were talking about powering stuff from your PSU so that mean's you don't have to worry about overpowering the fan header since it's not drawing power from it.

And to add onto W-L's statement, I don't know the exact Amps that a header can provide out but you can probably find it on Google. But if you read the label of each fan, it will tell you how many AMPs the fan can draw at max RPMs and that's how you determine how many of each fans can go into a single header depending on the fans combined AMPs.

By taking external power from the splitter the fans will only run at full speed since they aren't PWM, 3 pin fans run on DC voltage control which varies the voltage from the header itself. The JBtek is a direct splitter from the fan header on the motherboard which is the only one that will work for 3 pin fans. 

Just now, W-L said:

By taking external power from the splitter the fans will only run at full speed since they aren't PWM, 3 pin fans run on DC voltage control which varies the voltage from the header itself. The JBtek is a direct splitter from the fan header on the motherboard which is the only one that will work for 3 pin fans. 

Yes, they will still run full speed. But 3 pins can be controlled via the Motherboard like I stated previously with "it will control the speed of every single fan through motherboard".

Since that 1 fan header is plugged into the CPU_FAN header that means he would only have to customize the Fan Speed in BIOS for the CPU Fan and it will control the speed of all fans connected to that fan hubs.

Just now, phongle123 said:

Yes, they will still run full speed. But 3 pins can be controlled via the Motherboard like I stated previously with "it will control the speed of every single fan through motherboard".

Since that 1 fan header is plugged into the CPU_FAN header that means he would only have to customize the Fan Speed in BIOS for the CPU Fan and it will control the speed of all fans connected to that fan hubs.

That's only for the JBtek hub however, if you were to plug in any 3 pin DC voltage control fans into the swiftech or silverstone hubs as they are powered externally they can only run 3 Pin fans at full speed with no control. 

This is because those hubs only provide a PWM signal to vary the speed and RPM monitoring, the 3 pin fans lack the 4th pin for PWM control so they only receive the full 12V from the external power.

3 & 4 Pin Fan Connector.jpg

1 minute ago, W-L said:

--SNIP--

Hmm, I'm using the Swiftech 8 Fan - Fan Hub. Running 5xPWM fans and 3x3 pin fans and have set the fan curve to 20% in bios. When I unplug the Fan Hub 4 pin connector out of the CPU_FAN all fans run max speed. When I plug it back in, all fans slow down.

3 minutes ago, phongle123 said:

Hmm, I'm using the Swiftech 8 Fan - Fan Hub. Running 5xPWM fans and 3x3 pin fans and have set the fan curve to 20% in bios. When I unplug the Fan Hub 4 pin connector out of the CPU_FAN all fans run max speed. When I plug it back in, all fans slow down.

PWM fans will vary and change speed but the 3 pin fans on that hub will only run at full speed it's not possible for them to be varied as they are directly wired to 12V. 

2 minutes ago, W-L said:

PWM fans will vary and change speed but the 3 pin fans on that hub will only run at full speed it's not possible for them to be varied as they are directly wired to 12V. 

I honestly don't know what to tell you. I'm screwing with the plug right now. My 3 case fans which are 3 pin and my 5 PWM fans which are radiator fans all turn full speed when I unplug it and all slow down when I plug it back in.

I'm not gonna even try give you a reason for it working since I don't know, since you've already proven against it.

1 minute ago, phongle123 said:

I honestly don't know what to tell you. I'm screwing with the plug right now. My 3 case fans which are 3 pin and my 5 PWM fans which are radiator fans all turn full speed when I unplug it and all slow down when I plug it back in.

Yes that is correct for the PWM units they will change not the 3 pins however just check closely, it's physically impossible since the PCB is wired that way. I use the same unit for fan control and designed it to draw 12V using the same 3 pin setup for lighting while fan speed for PWM fans. 

7 minutes ago, W-L said:

Yes that is correct for the PWM units they will change not the 3 pins however just check closely, it's physically impossible since the PCB is wired that way. I use the same unit for fan control and designed it to draw 12V using the same 3 pin setup for lighting while fan speed for PWM fans. 

Sigh... time for Case Fan removal)=