4k TV

RobPlev

So as I always do with every big purchase I research the hell out of every product in my price range. To be honest I'm a little out my depth here. I find something that looks perfect and then multiple reviews say "If you're gonna be doing this then it's not for you" And then I'm sad cos I had my heart in it... Anyway.

I'm looking for a 40" 4K HDR TV. It has to be 40" because my wall won't allow any bigger. I thought it would be as simple as look for 4K but no. I'll be wanting to plug my PC in it but my main use will be the PS4 Pro and 4K HDR content on Netflix etc. I'm prepared to spend upwards to £600 if there is valid reasons but after looking, most of them look under this. 

Here is two I have took an interest to but professional reviews are mixed whereas consumer reviews are high:

http://www.argos.co.uk/product/5319851

http://www.ebuyer.com/748224-samsung-ku6400-40-ultra-hd-4k-smart-tv-ue40ku6400uxxu

Pick one maybe? Or recommend better ones.

Thanks in advance! 

I would recommend samsung.

rtings.com has a bunch of really detailed reviews. go check those out and pick a model.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

LG and Samsung are basically the best TV/Display manufacturers, so going with one or the other whittles down to preference on the Smart TV interface, if it has the apps you want, and whatnot.

If you don't care about the Smart TV stuff and they both have the inputs you want, then just flip a coin. You can't go wrong with either.

If you want the full experience it´s important to look out for the "UHD Premium" licence. This ensures that the TV can actually handle HDR content right. Most unexpensive TVs can take 10bit signals, but the panel is only 8 bit and isn´t bright enough for HDR10. I don´t know if there´s a TV out there in your pricerange that has this certificat. If not you should wait for the next TV lineup. Let´s hope that we get real HDR support in the 2017 models.

It has no UHD Premium badge, so no real support for HDR. Here in this test you can read, that the panel is only 8bit and the peak brightness is only 350nits (HDR10s peak brightness is up to 1000nits). You can try this TV but i would say you should wait or invest more into a TV that has a UHD Premium licence.

On 3/4/2017 at 10:22 AM, Delta-Force said:

It has no UHD Premium badge, so no real support for HDR. Here in this test you can read, that the panel is only 8bit and the peak brightness is only 350nits (HDR10s peak brightness is up to 1000nits). You can try this TV but i would say you should wait or invest more into a TV that has a UHD Premium licence.

Can you recommend a good tv then? I am also looking for one but my budget is more like 1k,

• 2 weeks later...

I don´t know how the naming is in your country, but for example the Samsung UE49KS7000 for 950 euros (in Austria) could be a good option. It´s UHD Premium certified, so it will display HDR content accordingly. I don´t know if you have a price comparison website for your area/country, but the site geizhals.at for austria has the option to filter for TVs that have Dolby Vision or the UHD Premium licence.