AMD driver partially or not installed, why error 1603?

janezy23

Hey,

whenever I update my graphics card drivers, I always get Error 1603, saying driver was or partially instaled or not just couldn't be installed. Screen resolution changes and everything but I stil get this message. I tried unistalling it with DDU, but no difference. I download my drivers from amd and i tried both amd software for drivers and direct drivers for rx 480. The thing is untill now  I didn't pay too much attention on this with my previous graphic card (r7 240), because I just didn't have any problems. But a few days ago I installed a new graphics card (rx 480) and now (occasionally) when I played World of Tanks the game freezes for a second and then just exits to desktop with no message. I played other games but didnt encounter this problem. A few minutes ago it also crashed from Total war Arena, this time with a message that arena has crashed. I also played a few hours of divison, with no such problems.

Firstly I think the problem is in my drivers.. (as i said error 1603) so any solutions are welcome..)

Secondly,  my pc is : intel i5 4460, rx 480, 16gb ddr3 ram, 500gb hdd, asrock h97m anniversary, and it is powered by lcpower 550W... if the problem could be in my specs or the not enough wattage..

p.s: the message i just got, when trying to update my drivers: 17.2.1 driver has been partially installed. erro 1603, general error occured during..

hiii there, I'm not sure if this would work, but i had the  same issue. i downloaded the full driver i think its between 400/500 mb?, anyway then i installed it and it worked. just make sure that u remove your previously installed driver, even the sound driver and so forth...  

DDU only removes graphic card driver yes? so I remove the sound driver manually?

• 2 weeks later...
On 27/02/2017 at 7:30 PM, janezy23 said:

DDU only removes graphic card driver yes? so I remove the sound driver manually?

it removes everything related to drivers, like AMD OR NVIDIA, just make sure after that u download your driver from guru3d. that were I've downloaded mine 

http://forums.guru3d.com/forumdisplay.php?f=46

• 2 weeks later...

I am having this same issue.  I've tried DDU in and out of Safe Mode.  Following a list of steps to delete files/folders/registry entries. I also ran

• DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
    • SFC /SCANNOW

I have tried everything I found online posted as a fix for this issue.  Nothing has worked. After it fails, I click the "View Log" button and nothing happens.  When it finishes with the 1603 error, it seems the driver itself is installed, but none of the software (Crimson, ReLive, etc.).

The only thing that works is a fresh windows 10 install. I disconnected it from the network during the install so Microsoft wouldn't install its default driver for the card.  When the install had completed, I installed the latest AMD driver suite and it worked.

I had been using a GTX 1050 Ti and it worked great.  I caught a sale on NewEgg for the MSI RX 480 Armor 4G for really cheap.  So I bought that thinking it would be a nice upgrade from the 1050.  But the game I play the most, no hate please, No Man's Sky, would stutter, freeze, and crash on the 480.  So I took out the 480 and put the 1050 back in for testing. A month later, I decided to put the 1050 in a different pc and so I put the 480 back in my gaming pc.  But i'm back to the AMD software refusing to install.  I've tried all the steps again and am at the point where my only option is to wipe and reload windows....  again...  I REALLY don't want to do that.

So my pc specs are:

MSI 990FXA Gaming Motherboard

AMD FX-8350 w/Deep Cool GAMMAXX 400 cooler

16 GB VColor RAM

MSI RX 480 Armor 4GB

ULTRA LSP-750 Power Supply

Two standard 500GB hard drives (1 for system, 1 for games)

If anyone has some suggestions that I haven't yet tried, i'd be more than happy to try them.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello, I have the same problem here. Error 1603. I have been using r9 280x for past year and whenever I tried to update drivers I was getting error 1603 notification. I have reinstalled win 10 last week, including formating harddrives and error 1603 again.  WTF?

Yesterday I have bought r9 380x. At first I have updated drivers using Windows, but the drivers installed by windows were outdated and without relive, so I have tried to update them and .... again Error 1603. WTF?

Nothing seems to work for me. 

Any suggestions? 

• 2 months later...

I was able to resolve this issue by using the DDU tool and then DELETE C:\AMD. This folder still had 9 gigs of old driver residue even after the DDU tool did its cleaning thing. After I deleted the AMD folder I was finally able to install the driver (version 17.2). I am posting this because I have been dealing with AMD tech support for weeks and they are still clueless about how to fix the 1603 error.

try 

msiexec /f /d /u /m /s /v c:\driverinstallerpackage|GUID of package

note the pipe | sign

if you dont know the guid then type installer name with | ending line

otherwise right click on installer go to properties then its 2nd or 3rd tab from right that should have a pull down selection menu with installer guid being a category

• 3 weeks later...

I was finally able to resolve the issue.  I opened a ticket with AMD and I'll paste their suggestion and my response below.

Sent: Wednesday, April 19, 2017 12:49 AM 
To: tolsen64 
Subject: AMD Service Notice:{ticketno:[8200747684]} 

Dear tolsen64 , 

Your service request : SR #{ticketno:[8200747684]} has been reviewed and updated. 

Response and Service Request History: 
Thank you for the email. I understand that you had tried the provided troubleshooting and it didn’t help to resolve the issue. 
From the dxdiag report, I found you have Windows 10 64 bit OS, RX 480 Graphics card and 22.19.156.1 driver version. 
Some users were able to resolve this issue by disabling network drives. I would request you to download the driver, disconnect the internet and try installing. Please try this and get back to me. 
If the above troubleshooting also not resolving the issue then I need to report this issue to driver engineering team. 

In order to update this service request, please respond, leaving the service request reference intact. 

Best regards, 

Pugal. 

AMD Global Customer Care 

tolsen64

To:

tech.support@amd.com <tech.support@amd.com>

Sent:

19.04.17 00:08:59

Subject:

RE: AMD Service Notice:{ticketno:[8200747684]}

Yes, this fixed it. The software is now fully installed. I have 2 mapped network drives and I have my downloads, documents, pictures, music, and videos folders redirected to network shared directories. I had to reset all these back to default so that I could disconnect the mapped network drives. I will now need to re-map everything and redirect my profile folders to the networks drives again.

Isn’t this something that should be fixed so that I won’t have to do this every time there’s a driver or software update?

Thanks,
tolsen64

------

So now, instead of mapping network drives again, I deleted my media folders (documents, videos, music, downloads) and created directory junctions to the network locations in their place using MKLINK. Now I don't have an issue installing and updating the AMD Radeon Drivers.