[UPDATE Price Revealed] LG G6 Announced

randomhkkid

http://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2017/2/26/14741886/lg-g6-announced-specs-features-mwc-2017

vpavic_200217_1470_0034.0.jpg

Looks like the leaks were spot on:

18:9 quad-HD display

HDR 10 and Dolby Vision

Android 7.0

2x 13-megapixel rear cameras

Very thin bezel - 80% Screen-to-body

Snapdragon 821, 4GB Ram

32GB storage, microSD

Non removable 3300mAh battery, USB-C

Wireless charging (US-only)

Quad-DAC (Korea-only)

Dual-Sim (select Eastern European countries)

LG has gone ahead and made a phone that aims to nail the basics rather than have all the gimmicks of its rivals. Interesting to note that different models have features missing/added:

Korea - Quad DAC no wireless charging

US - Wireless charging on 2 standards

Europe - Neither....

Update:

The price has been revealed in Germany as 750 Euros, at current conversion that's USD $800. Pricing is below the Pixel and iPhone but still inline with HTC and Huawei, basically just below flagship pricing but not significantly.

Data Scientist - MSc in Advanced CS, B.Eng in Computer Engineering

Seems like LG is focusing back to form with the G6. :)

The regional availability of features (FM Radio, Wireless Charging, Larger Storage Options, Quad DAC, etc.) is quite a bugger, though. :(

Xeon - i5 - Exynos

KIRIRIN-PC

| CPU: Intel Xeon E5-2670 0 - 8 Cores/16 Threads @ 2.60GHz (up to 3.30GHz) | CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S (1x Noctua NF-A15 140mm PWM Fan - Push) | GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming Z (2012MHz@0.962V / 1797MHz@0.875V) | RAM: 32GB (4x 8GB) Panram Light Sword DDR3-1600MHz CL9 | Motherboard: Alienware Aurora R4 ALX 07JNH0 (X79 LGA2011) | SSD: Transcend SSD370 256GB SATA-III | HDD: Toshiba DT01ACA200 2TB 7200rpm SATA-III | Case: Corsair Carbide Series 500R ATX Mid Tower | Case Fans: (Front Intake) 2x Deepcool XFAN 120mm, (Rear Exhaust) 1x Deepcool Ice Blade 120mm, (Top Exhaust) 2x Deepcool XFAN 120mm, (Side Intake) 2x Bitfenix Spectre Pro LED (White) 120mm  | PSU: Seasonic G-650 650W 80+ Gold Semi Modular | OS: Windows 10 Pro |

A Dell

| Model: Dell Inspiron 3443 | CPU: Intel Core i5-5200U - 2 Cores/4 Threads @ 2.20GHz (up to 2.70GHz) | GPU: Intel HD Graphics 5500 + NVIDIA GeForce 820M | RAM: 1x Kingston 8GB DDR3L-1600MHz SODIMM | HDD: Western Digital Blue 500GB 5400rpm | OS: Windows 10 Home |

Sammy

| Phone: Samsung Galaxy S7 | Model: SM-G930FD | Color: Gold Platinum | CPU: Samsung Exynos 8890 - 4x Mongoose @ 2.3GHz (up to 2.6GHz) + 4x ARM Cortex A53 @ 1.6GHz | GPU: ARM Mali-T880MP12 @ 650MHz | RAM: 4GB LPDDR4 @ 1794MHz | ROM: 32GB UFS 2.0 | Main Camera: 12MP Sony Exmor RS IMX260 | OS: Android 7.0 Nougat | Kernel: Stock | Bootloader: Locked |

I was excited when I heard that G6 will have Quad DAC from V20 , but as it turns out only in some areas. Then there is the non removable battery and 64 GB also only in selected areas, as well as Snapdragon 821. I could live with rounded display which is ugly imo, but it's apparently to make the phone less fragile. Seems like I'll be ditching my G2 for a non LG phone this year, since I'll bet V30 won't come to Europe, again. 

Also sad not to see they didn't include their fingerprint sensor below glass

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

Annoyed with the regional exceptions but seems like a solid phone 

My Build:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 4770k GPU: GTX 780 Direct CUII Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero SSD: 840 EVO 250GB HDD: 2xSeagate 2 TB PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 650W

What if i want a Quad-Dac and wireless charging?

Fuck LG, LG G4 was the worst phone i've ever owned. My sister says the same thing about her LG V10

Regional restrictions? LG THIS IS NOT THE STONE AGE!

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

So anyone knows the reason for Regional restrictions sounds like a dumb move to have 3 different things with minor changes for a single phone.

Oh FFS I want the "quad-DAC" and the wireless charging, well fucke you LG.

Unless the MSRP is really good, then they don't get a single penny from me and LOVED their G2

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

Phone is DoA. Regional restrictions should be a solid enough reason to spite LG - who does that? That's straight out of Ubisoft and Nintendo's playbook. The international launch will be in April meaning Samsung will snatch up all their sales anyway. So the move to launch 'first' with a SD821 will be a disaster and essentially a useless gesture. Announcing it first but having availability two months later when your overlords are set to have theirs available in the same time frame? It's like LG have no idea what they're doing. Samsung will announce in March, so their little stunt will be of no consequence and just shows how impotent their mobile division have become. And I'll bet the pricing will be $700+ which means there are better devices for less.

I still have my LG G2 but I won't be buying an LG device this year and probably not ever again. The V30 might make up for all the G6's shortcomings but it will cost more and won't be released in Europe anyway, so why should I care about LG anymore? All domestic carriers have dropped their phones from their stores too, so I'd be forced to buy it retail. Another hint of how far LG has fallen.

1 hour ago, potoooooooo said:

Fuck LG, LG G4 was the worst phone i've ever owned. My sister says the same thing about her LG V10

Gotta say i agree, my G3 is the worst ive ever owned counting the days for the s8 release.

Why are so many people surprised about regional versions? LG has done this for years with things like tv tuners, also samsung does it too 128gb ver only in korea and exynos with a better dac outside the US this is nothing new.

Looks like a promising phone. 

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

1 hour ago, potoooooooo said:

23 minutes ago, JAKEBAB said:

Gotta say i agree, my G3 is the worst ive ever owned counting the days for the s8 release.

Why are so many people surprised about regional versions? LG has done this for years with things like tv tuners, also samsung does it too 128gb ver only in korea and exynos with a better dac outside the US this is nothing new.

I stay away from LG since all their recent flagships have had bootlooping reports. 

But I am curious, what's bothering you exactly on the phones you currently have? 

Why is SpongeBob the main character when Patrick is the star?

2 hours ago, potoooooooo said:

The G4 was probably my favorite phone until mine boot looped. In general I even like it more than my Nexus 6P.

As far as the regional restrictions are concerned: yes, they aren't good, but they aren't a deal breaker either. The phone is still mostly the same.

At least they didn't decide to not release one of their flagship phones in Europe, unlike cough* someone else cough*.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

1 hour ago, Trixanity said:

Phone is DoA. Regional restrictions should be a solid enough reason to spite LG - who does that? That's straight out of Ubisoft and Nintendo's playbook. The international launch will be in April meaning Samsung will snatch up all their sales anyway. So the move to launch 'first' with a SD821 will be a disaster and essentially a useless gesture. Announcing it first but having availability two months later when your overlords are set to have theirs available in the same time frame? It's like LG have no idea what they're doing. Samsung will announce in March, so their little stunt will be of no consequence and just shows how impotent their mobile division have become. And I'll bet the pricing will be $700+ which means there are better devices for less.

I still have my LG G2 but I won't be buying an LG device this year and probably not ever again. The V30 might make up for all the G6's shortcomings but it will cost more and won't be released in Europe anyway, so why should I care about LG anymore? All domestic carriers have dropped their phones from their stores too, so I'd be forced to buy it retail. Another hint of how far LG has fallen.

Samsung actually does a similar things with different chipsets, though these are much more transparent to the consumer. It looks like LG did this to cut down on cost.

Funny thing about the 821 is that they aren't even first. The pixel and Oneplus 3T have been out for several months with the same chip.

Data Scientist - MSc in Advanced CS, B.Eng in Computer Engineering

52 minutes ago, patrick3027 said:

I stay away from LG since all their recent flagships have had bootlooping reports. 

But I am curious, what's bothering you exactly on the phones you currently have? 

I don't know what the bootlooping thing is i don't think it's ever happened to me.

Well the G3 was the first Android phone I'd had ever owned, at the time I thought Android was becoming closer and closer to iOS (I was getting bored with iOS too) so i thought it was a good time to switch especially after watching Linus's review. Wow was i wrong, it's slow, terrible camera/slow, screen sucks, randomly crashes apps, feels pretty cheap, battery is horrendous (and I thought Apple was bad) and the DAC is noisy.

My G3 was never updated past 5.0.1 so i don't know if that is a contributing factor or not, either way Im staying well away from LG phones even if i do think the G6 is sexy.

@randomhkkid The reason it's using a 821 is because Samsung has dibs on the 835, I don't know why LG didn't delay until they could get the new one though.

38 minutes ago, JAKEBAB said:

I don't know what the bootlooping thing is i don't think it's ever happened to me.

Well the G3 was the first Android phone I'd had ever owned, at the time I thought Android was becoming closer and closer to iOS (I was getting bored with iOS too) so i thought it was a good time to switch especially after watching Linus's review. Wow was i wrong, it's slow, terrible camera/slow, screen sucks, randomly crashes apps, feels pretty cheap, battery is horrendous (and I thought Apple was bad) and the DAC is noisy.

My G3 was never updated past 5.0.1 so i don't know if that is a contributing factor or not, either way Im staying well away from LG phones even if i do think the G6 is sexy.

@randomhkkid The reason it's using a 821 is because Samsung has dibs on the 835, I don't know why LG didn't delay until they could get the new one though.

The G3 has quite good custom ROM support if you like tinkering with your devices. You might as well try it if you are getting a new phone soon anyway.

https://download.lineageos.org/d855

12 minutes ago, patrick3027 said:

The G3 has quite good custom ROM support if you like tinkering with your devices. You might as well try it if you are getting a new phone soon anyway.

They are all nightly and experimental. 

Pascal laptops guide

7 minutes ago, Castdeath97 said:

They are all nightly and experimental. 

A fast phone with random crashing apps (nightly) is still better than a slow phone with random crashing apps (what you are currently using). 

1 minute ago, patrick3027 said:

A fast phone with random crashing apps (nightly) is still better than a slow phone with random crashing apps (what you are currently using). 

Depends, as someone who used cyanogenmod before it tends to be random. I sometimes found mid cycle releases that were more stable than full releases. The community tends to not very accurate at rating them. But no reason not to give it a go.

Pascal laptops guide

I think this phones success will all come down to cost. It's a great looking piece of hardware, and they fit that screen in a very compact body. I'm not interested, however, for the following reasons:

• Lack of image stabilization on both camera sensors
  • Older camera sensors
  • DAC being unavailable outside Korea
  • Releases too close to the S8
  • LG usually sucks at battery optimization though we'll see

6 hours ago, Bouzoo said:

-snip-

Also sad not to see they didn't include their fingerprint sensor below glass

I don't think the technology is ready for mass market.

58 minutes ago, CtW said:

Too bad it looks like a galaxy s7 with tiny bezels

It looks nothing like an S7...

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

2 hours ago, randomhkkid said:

Samsung actually does a similar things with different chipsets, though these are much more transparent to the consumer. It looks like LG did this to cut down on cost.

Funny thing about the 821 is that they aren't even first. The pixel and Oneplus 3T have been out for several months with the same chip.

Samsung uses either Snapdragon or Exynos chipsets but other than that they're entirely the same.

LG is launching like 6 different variants and gimping the majority of them. We're talking actual features missing. Samsung's are reasonably similar given the SoC difference.

When I said first I didn't mean the first to launch a device with SD821 and nor would LG claim that. They're trying to launch the phone before Samsung does and to do that they can't wait for the SD835 as there are limited quantities that Samsung has dibs on. The reality is that they're not really gaining anything from this early launch since it's restricted to South Korea. So they end up not only with a device with last year's SoC but launching straight into Galaxy S8 territory which dooms any chance at selling devices. LG doesn't have the clout to go toe-to-toe with Samsung, yet they're blundering by postponing their global launch till the S8 has been announced and is practically sitting on store shelves.

This means their product launch is useless. They could choose between using a SD821 and launch early (before the S8) or using a SD835 and launch later (after the S8). They chose the first but stumbled and ended up with no advantage. LG will pay for it on their next fiscal report. I wonder if LG will fire their mobile division - again. Perhaps even shut it down entirely.

1 hour ago, patrick3027 said:

Yea i rooted it once i got my Note 7 but.... so I never got any further than that out of fear screwing it up, but I am planning on doing something with it once I get a new phone.