i7 6800k OC results + delidding

Pachuca

Hi, I recently switched from an i7 5820k to an i7 6800k. I was able to OC my 5820k to 4.5 ghz and my 6800k only OC to 4.0 on one core and 3.8 on the other 5. The 6800k is a bit weird. It seems to OC better on one core, but not so much on all cores. I'm wondering if I just lost the silicon lottery or if I should delid and apply liquid metal for the cpu/HIS. I didn't know it's possible to delid these chips, but yes it is possible to delid and apply new thermal compound to the Broadwell-E cpu. Check out the video below for example. Is anyone else having similar results when trying to OC these chips? Are these just bad for OC?

5 minutes ago, Pachuca said:

Hi, I recently switched from an i7 5820k to an i7 6800k. I was able to OC my 5820k to 4.5 ghz and my 6800k only OC to 4.0 on one core and 3.8 on the other 5. The 6800k is a bit weird. It seems to OC better on one core, but not so much on all cores. I'm wondering if I just lost the silicon lottery or if I should delid and apply liquid metal for the cpu/HIS. I didn't know it's possible to delid these chips, but yes it is possible to delid and apply new thermal compound to the Broadwell-E cpu. Check out the video below for example. Is anyone else having similar results when trying to OC these chips? Are these just bad for OC?

What are your temps?  Voltages?

Your clock speeds are definitely low and a 5820k @ 4.5 GHz will definitely beat a 6800k at 3.8 GHz to 4.0 GHz.  The difference in IPC between Haswell-E and Broadwell-E is just over 200 MHz in Broadwell-E's favor.

you won't really see any gains from replacing solder with liquid metal.  Unless there was a defect while manufacturing it will be about the same.  From what I've heard, most overclockers prefer the 5820k over the 6800k

LTT Community Standards                                               Welcome!-A quick guide for new members to LTT

Man's Machine- i7-7700k@5.0GHz / Asus M8H / GTX 1080Ti / 4x4gb Gskill 3000 CL15  / Custom loop / 240gb Intel SSD / 3tb HDD / Corsair RM1000x / Dell S2716DG

The Lady's Rig- G3258@4.4GHz(1.39v) on Hyper 212 / Gigabyte GA-B85M / gtx750 / 8gb PNY xlr8 / 500gb seagate HDD / CS 450M / Asus PB277Q

Just now, 0ld_Chicken said:

From what I've heard, most overclockers prefer the 5820k over the 6800k

This is what I prefer out of either.  Haswell-E can be pushed a lot higher and despite its IPC disadvantage, max overclock is usually enough to outperform the max overclock of Broadwell-E.

Broadwell-E is only the preferred chip if you are going to stay at stock speed or up to moderate overclock.  

1 minute ago, done12many2 said:

What are your temps?  Voltages?

Your clock speeds are definitely low and a 5820k @ 4.5 GHz will definitely beat a 6800k at 3.8 GHz to 4.0 GHz.  The difference in IPC between Haswell-E and Broadwell-E is just over 200 MHz in Broadwell-E's favor.

I'm hitting 100c when stress testing at 1.35v. I think I was hitting 100c even without overclocking... i don't remember. 

Just now, Pachuca said:

I'm hitting 100c when stress testing at 1.35v. I think I was hitting 100c even without overclocking... i don't remember. 

Wow.  I think your problem is somewhere else.  I wouldn't have even started an OC without baseline temps.  Take it back to stock and test.  You either have thermal headroom or you don't.

idk... i guess the only other option is that I lost the silicon lottery? I'm not able to get a stable OC past 4.0 on the 6800k. 

Just now, Pachuca said:

idk... i guess the only other option is that I lost the silicon lottery? I'm not able to get a stable OC past 4.0 on the 6800k. 

what are you using for cooling?

LTT Community Standards                                               Welcome!-A quick guide for new members to LTT

Man's Machine- i7-7700k@5.0GHz / Asus M8H / GTX 1080Ti / 4x4gb Gskill 3000 CL15  / Custom loop / 240gb Intel SSD / 3tb HDD / Corsair RM1000x / Dell S2716DG

The Lady's Rig- G3258@4.4GHz(1.39v) on Hyper 212 / Gigabyte GA-B85M / gtx750 / 8gb PNY xlr8 / 500gb seagate HDD / CS 450M / Asus PB277Q

Just now, Pachuca said:

Like I said, take it back to stock.  Stock everything.  Load defaults in BIOS.  Keep your memory at default and everything.  

Once you're completely stock, run some stress tests to determine how much thermal headroom you have.

Once you get a baseline, we can help you dial that bad boy in.  

1 hour ago, done12many2 said:

Like I said, take it back to stock.  Stock everything.  Load defaults in BIOS.  Keep your memory at default and everything.  

Once you're completely stock, run some stress tests to determine how much thermal headroom you have.

Once you get a baseline, we can help you dial that bad boy in.  

ok I just put everything to default/stock. I'm still hitting 100c without an OC.

1 hour ago, 0ld_Chicken said:

what are you using for cooling?

corsair h110i 

Just now, Pachuca said:

ok I just put everything to default/stock. I'm still hitting 100c without an OC.

Well, there's your problem.  I bet once we figure that out, your 6800k is going to OC a lot better.

Did you plug the pump's power cable into the SATA cable?

2 minutes ago, Pachuca said:

corsair h110i 

Is your thermal past applied correctly? Have you remove the plastic cover on the bottom of the cooler? Is the pump running fine?

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/334934-unofficial-ltt-beginners-guide/ (by Minibois) and a few things that will make our community interaction more pleasent:
1. FOLLOW your own topics                                                                                2.Try to QUOTE people so we can read through things easier
3.Use
PCPARTPICKER.COM - easy and most importantly approved here        4.Mark your topics SOLVED if they are                                
Don't change a running system

still hitting 100c after setting everything to default settings. I'm getting the same reading using corsair link, intel tuning utility, and hwmonitor. In intel tuning utility I see the cpu is thermal throttling even at stock speeds. Either I have the worst chip ever or something is off. 

Well, there's your problem.  I bet once we figure that out, your 6800k is going to OC a lot better.

Did you plug the pump's power cable into the SATA cable?

yes, the pump is running at max speed and I have some noctua industrial fans running at about 2400 rpm.

Just now, Pachuca said:

yes, the pump is running at max speed and I have some noctua industrial fans running at about 2400 rpm.

If both of those are running fine, you need to look at everything to do with your pump mount.  This includes the mount itself and the thermal paste.  Do you have extra thermal paste?

1 hour ago, GER_T4IGA said:

Is your thermal past applied correctly? Have you remove the plastic cover on the bottom of the cooler? Is the pump running fine?

yes, had this pump running fine on my 5820k and didn't have any issues getting a decent OC on it. The only thing I did differently this time is I decided to actually use the Asus CPU install tool, it's a piece of plastic that surrounds the cpu and makes it a bit easier to put in the socket. I'm going to try and remove that see if I get better results. Please feel free to post further suggestions here because I'm out of ideas.

If both of those are running fine, you need to look at everything to do with your pump mount.  This includes the mount itself and the thermal paste.  Do you have extra thermal paste?

Paste is the same that I used on my 5820k and I applied it to cover the entire CPU.

anyway be back in a few min.

Just now, Pachuca said:

Paste is the same that I used on my 5820k and I applied it to cover the entire CPU.

Do you have extra?

Remove the Asus CPU install tool as well.  

yeah, definitely check that pump mount and make sure to look at the old paste when you remove your cooler.  See how it is spread and how it looks on the IHS and cooler surface, post pictures if possible.  That can show a lot about your mounting pressure

Just now, 0ld_Chicken said:

make sure to look at the old paste when you remove your cooler.  

I couldn't agree more.  A poor mount will show in the paste.  I don't like those Asus CPU install tools either since they stay in the socket permanently.  

1 minute ago, 0ld_Chicken said:

yeah, definitely check that pump mount and make sure to look at the old paste when you remove your cooler.  See how it is spread and how it looks on the IHS and cooler surface, post pictures if possible.  That can show a lot about your mounting pressure

Pictures sound like a hell of an idea in this ominous case.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/334934-unofficial-ltt-beginners-guide/ (by Minibois) and a few things that will make our community interaction more pleasent:
1. FOLLOW your own topics                                                                                2.Try to QUOTE people so we can read through things easier
3.Use
PCPARTPICKER.COM - easy and most importantly approved here        4.Mark your topics SOLVED if they are                                
Don't change a running system

1 minute ago, done12many2 said:

I couldn't agree more.  A poor mount will show in the paste.  I don't like those Asus CPU install tools either since they stay in the socket permanently.  

Always a telling sign, I know some Corsair aio's have issues with mounting pressure.  I'm not sure I've seen those tools, seems like a silly idea O.o

1 minute ago, GER_T4IGA said:

Pictures sound like a hell of an idea in this ominous case.

A picture is worth a thousand words :D

4 minutes ago, 0ld_Chicken said:

I'm not sure I've seen those tools, seems like a silly idea O.o

Yeah, I don't like it because it stays in the socket.  If it was something used to install, but removed before locking the CPU down, it would be okay.  I don't like leaving extra shit in the socket while clamping down the chip.

ASUS-Maximus-VIII-Extreme-CPU-Install-Tool.jpg

rog_protection_2.jpg

install_e.jpg

WOW. What a diff ... i removed that stupid install tool and i'm getting 55c stress testing at stock speeds, plus running at around 30c on idle. Here are some old pics with the tool, and since the paste results are the same I didn't take new pics. I just removed that tool and it made all the diff. Now I feel like a tool lol.

20170210_194543.jpg

20170210_194614.jpg

20170210_195305.jpg

Just now, Pachuca said:

WOW. What a diff ... i removed that stupid install tool and i'm getting 55c stress testing at stock speeds, plus running at around 30c on idle. Here are some old pics with the tool, and since the paste results are the same I didn't take new pics. I just removed that tool and it made all the diff. Now I feel like a tool lol.

I guess you see why I don't like those CPU install tools now.  LOL.  Congrats man.  Let us know if you need help with the OC now.

29 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

I guess you see why I don't like those CPU install tools now.  LOL.  Congrats man.  Let us know if you need help with the OC now.

yes, thank you. I'm going to try OC again, but so far the results are not promising. At least at stock the temps are good now. I seem to be hitting 90c using the same OC settings before to get 4.0ghz. It's stable, but looks like anything higher gets to 100c and is unstable. I hope the chip didn't get damaged from that install tool fiasco. 

going to be OC testing next few days, hopefully I'll get better results. Thank you everyone for your help. I really appreciate all your input. 

Just now, Pachuca said:

yes, thank you. I'm going to try OC again, but so far the results are not promising. At least at stock the temps are good now. I seem to be hitting 90c using the same OC settings before to get 4.0ghz. It's stable, but looks like anything higher gets to 100c and is unstable. I hope the chip didn't get damaged from that install tool fiasco. 

Are you manually setting your voltages?