RX 480 Has a Max Temperature of 70C

Link to PCPartPicker components list

My GPU used to maintain its overclock of 1330MHz, without any throttling, while holding its temperature target of 80C. This is no longer the case, it is now throttling the core clock to maintain a temperature of 70C. (Regardless of Powerlimit)

I noticed this issue after updating my motherboard's Bios to F20, unfortunately they can not be downgraded. I'm 98% sure this is the root of the problem, but who knows.

I've tried installing different GPU Bios, reinstalling mobo Bios, clearing CMOS, trying different Crimson drivers I knew to be stable (installed with DDU)-- none resolved the issue.

Below 70C   

Above 70C  (This happens regardless of the set powerlimit or temperature target/max)

The only work-around I've found is to set the fan speed to 100% which keeps the temperature just below 70C under load, avoiding any throttling. This is not optimal as it hurts my ears. 

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

TLDR; My GPU should be between 80-90C, instead it is throttling itself to keep 70C.

EDIT: It looks like I needed to re-enter the Bios after resetting CMOS. My GPU isn't throttling anymore, although it's still ignoring the temperature target I have set. Thank you everyone for your suggestions. 

Edit: Nevermind, still broke. lol

I only know the Nvidia side of things but on the green side of things there is a temperature tagret you can set in MSI Afterburner. Have you tried increasing that?

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/334934-unofficial-ltt-beginners-guide/ (by Minibois) and a few things that will make our community interaction more pleasent:
1. FOLLOW your own topics                                                                                2.Try to QUOTE people so we can read through things easier
3.Use
PCPARTPICKER.COM - easy and most importantly approved here        4.Mark your topics SOLVED if they are                                
Don't change a running system

Just now, GER_T4IGA said:

I only know the Nvidia side of things but on the green side of things there is a temperature tagret you can set in MSI Afterburner. Have you tried increasing that?

Yes, Wattman's temperature target has no effect anymore.

You could also try applying a higher OC that in combination with the reduced clock above 70°C brings you back to where you were

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/334934-unofficial-ltt-beginners-guide/ (by Minibois) and a few things that will make our community interaction more pleasent:
1. FOLLOW your own topics                                                                                2.Try to QUOTE people so we can read through things easier
3.Use
PCPARTPICKER.COM - easy and most importantly approved here        4.Mark your topics SOLVED if they are                                
Don't change a running system

1 minute ago, GER_T4IGA said:

You could also try applying a higher OC that in combination with the reduced clock above 70°C brings you back to where you were

The card doesn't have a problem reaching 1330MHz as long as the core temperature is at or below 70C. Regardless of the overclock my GPU will throttle in order to maintain that temperature. This is where problem lies, it should be reaching up to 90C without throttling yet it, for some reason, has a temperature target and maximum temperature of 70C.

Thank you for all your input.

13 minutes ago, lawmen2002 said:

if u have money to spare then do with a aio for the rx480 this is a ex:

id cooling hunter:http://www.idcooling.com/Product/detail/id/56/name/HUNTER DUET (aio combo)

or

id cooling icekimo:http://www.idcooling.com/Product/detail/id/87/name/ICEKIMO 240VGA (vga aio)

Thanks, but the problem is that 70C is too low of a temperature. My GPU should be throttling at 90C, instead it is throttling at 70C.

Try reinstalling your OS.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

23 minutes ago, ivan134 said:

Try reinstalling your OS.

I'm going to save that for when I eventually upgrade to Rzyen.

3 hours ago, toastedpringles69 said:

I'm going to save that for when I eventually upgrade to Rzyen.

Have you tried using another program like MSI afterburner? Wattman had a lot of problems before and if I remember correctly it still isn't quite working right in some areas.

If you try Afterburner, make sure you uninstall wattman, the two programs don't play nice together.

Intel Xeon 1650 V0 (4.4GHz @1.4V), ASRock X79 Extreme6, 32GB of HyperX 1866, Sapphire Nitro+ 5700XT, Silverstone Redline (black) RL05BB-W, Crucial MX500 500GB SSD, TeamGroup GX2 512GB SSD, WD AV-25 1TB 2.5" HDD with generic Chinese 120GB SSD as cache, x2 Seagate 2TB SSHD(RAID 0) with generic Chinese 240GB SSD as cache, SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 850, x2 Acer H236HL, Acer V277U be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4, Logitech K120, Tecknet "Gaming" mouse, Creative Inspire T2900, HyperX Cloud Flight Wireless headset, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

• 1 year later...

guys i fix my the problem was it need a new thermal paste i dont know why but it worked now the temps going up to 80c with 45% fan speed and stable core  clock 1303mhz but i void the warranty for that

• 1 year later...

Had the same issue with xfx rx 580 8gb throttle from 1366mhz to 1100mhz when it hits 70C. Got me some gd900 thermal paste and now I'm at 1400mhz constant with 66C max temp.