Choppy playback of 4k HEVC content in VLC

Nitroblast

Hi.

I'm running a newly built system (specs are at http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/CzMZxr) which has an i7 7700k (overclocked to 4.9GHz with no overheating issues) - now what I heard is that the 7700k has hardware accelerated 10 bit HEVC decoding, but when I play a 63mbps 10 bit HEVC-encoded 3840x2160 MKV file with a bitrate of 63mbps on my 850 EVO, it looks like this and lags heavily:

xtzhQdH.jpg

It looks fine in Windows Media Player, but lags even more than VLC.

Do you know of any software that may be able to play this without these problems, or is my setup just not powerful enough?

Expert procrastinator.

1 minute ago, RGProductions said:

Try lowering the bitrate. 63MBPS is really high.

It's a rip from one of the 4K UHD Blu-rays, which is why the bitrate is that high - I just assumed that a system with this much power would be able to handle it, considering a Blu-ray player would.

Expert procrastinator.

Just now, Nitroblast said:

It's a rip from one of the 4K UHD Blu-rays, which is why the bitrate is that high - I just assumed that a system with this much power would be able to handle it.

look at CPU and GPU usage. 

M1 MacBook Air 256/8 | iPhone 13 pro

Just now, RGProductions said:

look at CPU and GPU usage. 

CPU jumps to 66%, GPU hovers around 23% and disk is at 7MBps.

Expert procrastinator.

I am experiencing the same issue.  This issue goes away when I "upgraded" to a GTX950, which has hardware decode support for HVEC.  Try running your video through the integrated graphics instead of the 780.

24 minutes ago, Nitroblast said:

It's a rip from one of the 4K UHD Blu-rays, which is why the bitrate is that high - I just assumed that a system with this much power would be able to handle it, considering a Blu-ray player would.

Did you decrypt the rip?

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

4 hours ago, Nitroblast said:

Hi.

I'm running a newly built system (specs are at http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/CzMZxr) which has an i7 7700k (overclocked to 4.9GHz with no overheating issues) - now what I heard is that the 7700k has hardware accelerated 10 bit HEVC decoding, but when I play a 63mbps 10 bit HEVC-encoded 3840x2160 MKV file with a bitrate of 63mbps on my 850 EVO, it looks like this and lags heavily:

xtzhQdH.jpg

It looks fine in Windows Media Player, but lags even more than VLC.

Do you know of any software that may be able to play this without these problems, or is my setup just not powerful enough?

is your monitor 10bit if not then thats the cause . i get it on 10bit 4k blurays since my panel is only 8bit . also try playing it from a ssd have the movie on that if it still happens its just vlc converting 10 to 8 in my opinion

main rig

Spoiler

corsair 750d | evga 1000w g2 | Gigabyte x99 soc champ | 5820k 4.0GHz | 1tb wd blue | 250gb samsung 840 evo  | Crucial Ballistix Sport XT 16GB 8x2 DDR4-2400 | MSI GTX 970 x2 | monitor Acer B286HK 28" 4K | razor chroma blackwidow  | razor death adder chroma

CENTOS 7 SERVER (PLEX&docker stuff)

Spoiler

NZXT s220 | evga 500w 80+ | AMD FX 8320e | ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3 | 2x8gb non ecc ddr3 WD red 2TBx2 | seagate 160gb microcenter 8gb flashdrive OS