Zalman CNPS5X causing super fast overheat

NaeLegs

I recently noticed that my ATX Full Tower System had been overheating after around 1-2 hours of gaming, so i opened it up to see what the probnlem was.

i noticed that my CPU heatsink (Arctic Pro Rev 2) had stopped working and was no longer spinning on boot. even though the pc was POSTing fine.So ultimately the system was running for an hour or 2 with games running on just the 5 case fans (including GPU fan), before getting too hot and turning off

today i bought a new heatsink cooler, the  Zalman CNPS5X, after cleaning the CPU and applying new artic silver thermal paste, i booted my theoretically fixed machine and opened up HW Monitor to monitor my new core temperatures, but just as i opened the software, it overheated again!

i managed to just get a glimpse of "110 Degrees" for my Core ) temp, i have no idea why this happened

i thouroughly cleaned my system and it is pretty much dust free, i am currently waiting for it to cool down before trying again

Any help would be appreciated.

-Jamie

Specs : 

CPU:AMD phenom II x4 965 black editiuon 3.4Ghz

RAM: 8GB(2x4) DDR3 Kingston HyperX 1333mhz

Case : Inwin Maelstrom

1 minute ago, NaeLegs said:

I recently noticed that my ATX Full Tower System had been overheating after around 1-2 hours of gaming, so i opened it up to see what the probnlem was.

i noticed that my CPU heatsink (Arctic Pro Rev 2) had stopped working and was no longer spinning on boot. even though the pc was POSTing fine.So ultimately the system was running for an hour or 2 with games running on just the 5 case fans (including GPU fan), before getting too hot and turning off

today i bought a new heatsink cooler, the  Zalman CNPS5X, after cleaning the CPU and applying new artic silver thermal paste, i booted my theoretically fixed machine and opened up HW Monitor to monitor my new core temperatures, but just as i opened the software, it overheated again!

i managed to just get a glimpse of "110 Degrees" for my Core ) temp, i have no idea why this happened

i thouroughly cleaned my system and it is pretty much dust free, i am currently waiting for it to cool down before trying again

Any help would be appreciated.

-Jamie

Specs : 

CPU:AMD phenom II x4 965 black editiuon 3.4Ghz

RAM: 8GB(2x4) DDR3 Kingston HyperX 1333mhz

Case : Inwin Maelstrom

Is the fan spinning on the new cooler? If not it may be a dead motherboard fan header

Just now, DragonSlayer 159 said:

Is the fan spinning on the new cooler? If not it may be a dead motherboard fan header

yes it is, at around 1900 RPM, sorry forgot to mention it

1 minute ago, NaeLegs said:

yes it is, at around 1900 RPM, sorry forgot to mention it

What CPU do you have, as the cooler might not be powerful enough to cool it

1 minute ago, DragonSlayer 159 said:

What CPU do you have, as the cooler might not be powerful enough to cool it

AMD phenom II x4 965 3.4Ghz

Just now, NaeLegs said:

AMD phenom II x4 965 3.4Ghz

OK, that cooler should definitely be good enough to cool your CPU. If the computer is still overheating with the new cooler installed and the dust cleaned than it is either that your cooler isn't mounted properly, or that your CPU is faulty and it overheats. 

but how could a fault cooler make the pc obverheat MORE than without a cooler at all?

2 minutes ago, NaeLegs said:

but how could a fault cooler make the pc obverheat MORE than without a cooler at all?

I'm not saying that the cooler is faulty, I'm saying that either it isn't mounted properly, or the CPU is faulty and overheats. Check if the cooler is properly screwed in and that it makes good contact with the CPU. Also, check that you haven't applied too much thermal compound. If you've done all of these things, then it is a faulty CPU probably

i found some thermal paste had spilled over the side of the cpu, i dont think it hit the motherboard though

could that have affected the heat?

The paste is unlikely the issue. 

Did you peel off the plastic bottom from the cooler?

Did you mount it properly? 

Open your cpu program and check which core is heating up the most and see if they are all heating up or just a single

core. If only 1 core overheats while the rest is fine, then you likely need a new cpu.

16 hours ago, NaeLegs said:

It wouldn't. I call for sensor error.

14 hours ago, NaeLegs said:

i found some thermal paste had spilled over the side of the cpu, i dont think it hit the motherboard though

could that have affected the heat?

Too much paste causes higher temps, but not that much.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

reseated cpu, with reapplied thermal paste, used the spreader method instead of uncooked grain of rice

boom done

fixed