I need a lot of fans...

biotoxin

So there's 3 parts to this.

First up I need a lot of fans that will work to pull through/behind a mesh or dust grill and push that air then into a high pressure system. I was considering some options from noctua, corsair, and scythe gentle typhoon, but I thought first I should ask you folks before I start spending money.

Second is I need at least 6 of these, and possibly as many as 15. While I'm usually not too concerned about noise it would be nice if they didn't sound like a jet turbine. To that end I would like some kind of fan control and ability to power all of these fans as no motherboard has that many headers that I know of much less control over that many splitters. So are there any recommendations on a massive or custom fan controller and power solution for many fans.

Third is all of this is going into a custom case I've designed and I'm working out airflow within the case and need some advice on how to direct airflow within a case over critical components. I know how to run simulations within 3d max if I need to but so far they haven't been too helpful because I lack the knowledge on all the variables and mechanics of an airflow system.

For additional information I'm using a massive liquid cooling setup including custom heatsinks for motherboard components, gpu's, cpu, ram, and more. This will be setup across 2x 120x3 radiators that are on opposite sides of the case. At minimum they will each have 3 fans, possibly more if I go push/pull config (doubtful) and I have been considering at least 3 additional case fans to help exhaust the intake from the radiator fans. I've also started to consider having one set intake and the other exhaust instead of both set for intake but again right now I'm still working out airflow so until I have some idea it's kind of all up in the air. Specifically I'll be using either EK coolstream x360 radiators or alphacool monsta's though right now I'm heavily leaning towards coolstream from performance results I've seen comparing the two under various circumstances and airflow rates.

any contribution to any of these areas is highly appreciated.

Spoiler

CPU: TR3960x enermax 360 AIO Mobo: Aorus Master RAM: 128gb ddr4 trident z royal PSU: Seasonic Prime 1300w GPU: 5700xt, 5500xt, rx590 Case: c700p black edition Display: Asus MG279Q ETC: Living the VM life many accessories as needed Storage: My personal cluster is now over 100tb!

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

Just now, NumLock21 said:

I appreciate the sentiment

not sure this will solve my need for computer fans...

but it was such a good laugh

Spoiler

CPU: TR3960x enermax 360 AIO Mobo: Aorus Master RAM: 128gb ddr4 trident z royal PSU: Seasonic Prime 1300w GPU: 5700xt, 5500xt, rx590 Case: c700p black edition Display: Asus MG279Q ETC: Living the VM life many accessories as needed Storage: My personal cluster is now over 100tb!

4 minutes ago, biotoxin said:

-SNIP-

For such a large number of fans I would recommend to set them up in groups or regions using PWM control as you can get power splitters and have a single PWM control signal from the motherboard vary the speed of a single set.

http://www.swiftech.com/8-WayPWMsplitter-sata.aspx

As for fans that really depends on your budget as they can quicky add up a a couple hundred of dollars, some options that I find that are very good while being somewhat good value are the twin packs from Corsair both the SP and Ml series, and Fractal desgin venturi's. Both of those options leave it at around $15 pr fan. 

just some input

NZXT Grid+ is what you're looking for. it's a fan controller that can control 3pin or 4pin fans and it's digitally controlled - so you can control it with the NZXT 'CAM' software

idk

1 minute ago, W-L said:

For such a large number of fans I would recommend to set them up in groups or regions using PWM control as you can get power splitters and have a single PWM control signal from the motherboard vary the speed of a single set.

http://www.swiftech.com/8-WayPWMsplitter-sata.aspx

As for fans that really depends on your budget as they can quicky add up a a couple hundred of dollars, some options that I find that are very good while being somewhat good value are the twin packs from Corsair both the SP and Ml series, and Fractal desgin venturi's. Both of those options leave it at around $15 pr fan. 

I'll look more into groups over splitters but my first couple reads implied not so much a problem with managing speed as it was power problems

as to price, if I'm already spending a couple thousand on a liquid solution a few hundred more on fans won't matter much

I'd say my cut off would be around $40 a fan, as after that point it'd need some serious science behind it to justify a cost above that like active noise cancellation or something, but yeah price isn't a concern as my budget for the system was around 5k to 6k everything included.

Spoiler

6 minutes ago, biotoxin said:

as to price, if I'm already spending a couple thousand on a liquid solution a few hundred more on fans won't matter much

They can add up quick, but if you insist...

All joking aside, if you are needing something to provide a ton of pressure and airflow, there is no real question that Noctua Industrial 3000s are the way to go (just get the Chromax AVPs in your preferred color if brown isn't your thing).

If being quiet is your thing though , I would suggest the Corsair ML series fans. The mag-lev bearings will be almost completely silent and have a higher lifespan than traditional bearings due to absolutely no wear due to friction.

Just now, Qwweb said:

If being quiet is your thing though , I would suggest the Corsair ML series fans. The mag-lev bearings will be almost completely silent and have a higher lifespan than traditional bearings due to absolutely no wear due to friction.

3 minutes ago, Qwweb said:

They can add up quick, but if you insist...

All joking aside, if you are needing something to provide a ton of pressure and airflow, there is no real question that Noctua Industrial 3000s are the way to go (just get the Chromax AVPs in your preferred color if brown isn't your thing).

noctua nf12 vs corsair ML?

Spoiler

Just now, biotoxin said:

noctua nf12 vs corsair ML?

NF12 is higher performance but louder, those mag-lev bearings make quite a difference, plus the ML120s have solid-color LED options for $3/fan more

31 minutes ago, biotoxin said:

I'll look more into groups over splitters but my first couple reads implied not so much a problem with managing speed as it was power problems

I'd say my cut off would be around $40 a fan, as after that point it'd need some serious science behind it to justify a cost above that like active noise cancellation or something, but yeah price isn't a concern as my budget for the system was around 5k to 6k everything included.

At that pricepoint you can get basically any of the top or well regarded ones out there like the Noctua NF-F12, Gentle Typhoons, or Noiseblockers Eloops. All of those are excellent just depends mainly on the look you are going for. 

10 minutes ago, W-L said:

At that pricepoint you can get basically any of the top or well regarded ones out there like the Noctua NF-F12, Gentle Typhoons, or Noiseblockers Eloops. All of those are excellent just depends mainly on the look you are going for. 

I was aware of this to some extent, but my problem was knowing which of them can pull sufficient airflow through dust filters against high pressure, my first couple tests with older cheap fans in this case without my radiator yet noted huge drops in CFM, I'm working right now to create more exit ventilation to correct this to some extent but it's an ongoing concern.

Spoiler

26 minutes ago, biotoxin said:

I was aware of this to some extent, but my problem was knowing which of them can pull sufficient airflow through dust filters against high pressure, my first couple tests with older cheap fans in this case without my radiator yet noted huge drops in CFM, I'm working right now to create more exit ventilation to correct this to some extent but it's an ongoing concern.

It's always a trade off with high pressure fans come lower CFM or volume, personally I just go with all pressure fans as all the cases I encounter filtered intakes, obstruction or radiators/heatsinks. As long as you balance the airflow for positive pressure that will help with dust infiltration and such. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/24/2017 at 11:04 PM, W-L said:

It's always a trade off with high pressure fans come lower CFM or volume, personally I just go with all pressure fans as all the cases I encounter filtered intakes, obstruction or radiators/heatsinks. As long as you balance the airflow for positive pressure that will help with dust infiltration and such. 

know any 140mm fans fitting this category? most everything I find is 120...

Spoiler

7 minutes ago, biotoxin said:

know any 140mm fans fitting this category? most everything I find is 120...

Noctua has a 140mm version the NF-A14, some others that are good options are then Noiseblocker E-loops and Fractal Design Venturi's. 

Just get Corsair ML's, or be quiet! SILENTWINGS 3. Both are great, though using maglev tech as a bearing for corsair makes them have a really cool factor. The Wing's are from be quiet so they are tailored for silence, well still having really good specs.

Dimensions (mm)
Fan speed @ 12V (rpm)
Air flow @ 12V (cfm, m3/h)
77.57 / 131.79
Air pressure @ 12V (mm H2O)
Noise level @ 12V (dB(A))

That is the high-speed 140mm 1,600rpm version, 77cfm and 2.16 mmh2o for only 28 db pretty damn good if you ask me.

Systems built (personal) | 1. Bad Wolf (Has passed on to PC Heaven): https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/b/zX9WGX |  2. Red Husky: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/b/Mwhypg

Systems built (for commission) | 1. Red Fox: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/b/W4LD4D | 2. Not Namedhttp://ca.pcpartpicker.com/b/TMhqqs 3. Bad Wolf 2.0: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/b/7p8Ycf upgraded Bad Wolf to an I3-7100 for my friend as a gift|

how about silverstone FHP 141?

or bitfenix spectre pro 140? anyone experience?

Spoiler

1 minute ago, biotoxin said:

how about silverstone FHP 141?

or bitfenix spectre pro 140? anyone experience?

The silverstone fan is not your typical fan that thing pushes a lot of air with a lot of noise with it being a thick fan, the Bitfenix Pro fans are not bad fairly quiet and decent performance. 

3 minutes ago, W-L said:

The silverstone fan is not your typical fan that thing pushes a lot of air with a lot of noise with it being a thick fan, the Bitfenix Pro fans are not bad fairly quiet and decent performance. 

I was looking at EK coolstream for radiators, but if I go with a lower airflow might I be better off with alphacool monsta's?

I can go with quieter fans and less airflow if I can get adequate cooling which is apparently where the monsta excels comparatively 

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, biotoxin said:

I was looking at EK coolstream for radiators, but if I go with a lower airflow might I be better off with alphacool monsta's?

I can go with quieter fans and less airflow if I can get adequate cooling which is apparently where the monsta excels comparatively 

If you want to go for silence lower FPI can help with that, the benefit with longer and more rads always outweighs thicker rads so in many situations using thick rads are not the best performance per dollar spent. I would say a good sweet spot is somewhere around 45mm thick rads depending on the setup, for rads it's not about airflow as much as pressure optimized fans, it's a balance where if you have airflow there is low pressure, higher pressure lower airflow. 

1 minute ago, W-L said:

If you want to go for silence lower FPI can help with that, the benefit with longer and more rads always outweighs thicker rads so in many situations using thick rads are not the best performance per dollar spent. I would say a good sweet spot is somewhere around 45mm thick rads depending on the setup, for rads it's not about airflow as much as pressure optimized fans, it's a balance where if you have airflow there is low pressure, higher pressure lower airflow. 

this is my exact struggle

debating going 360 or 480 length, but having space for up to 128mm deep each including fans, and knowing that they'll be heavily obstructed by dust filter and internal pressure while also facing resistance from the radiator itself

this being the only reason I'm considering the expensive and difficult push pull config

maybe I need a custom design? I hear danger den will do pretty much whatever you need?

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, biotoxin said:

this is my exact struggle

debating going 360 or 480 length, but having space for up to 128mm deep each including fans, and knowing that they'll be heavily obstructed by dust filter and internal pressure while also facing resistance from the radiator itself

this being the only reason I'm considering the expensive and difficult push pull config

maybe I need a custom design? I hear danger den will do pretty much whatever you need?

Without a question if you have the room a longer is better for rads in terms of performance to thicker smaller rads, if you wanted to you can go for a long thick 45-60mm rad to maximize as much space as possible for potential cooling. The main thing is getting good pressure optimized fans, you don't see much gain having a push and pull setup over a single push or pull, the most you see may be a few degrees or so but the added cost of double the fans. 

3 minutes ago, W-L said:

Without a question if you have the room a longer is better for rads in terms of performance to thicker smaller rads, if you wanted to you can go for a long thick 45-60mm rad to maximize as much space as possible for potential cooling. The main thing is getting good pressure optimized fans, you don't see much gain having a push and pull setup over a single push or pull, the most you see may be a few degrees or so but the added cost of double the fans. 

you wouldn't happen to know the exact length of a 140x480 rad including edges? like a standard 120 is actually usually around 126

second do you know anyone that sells such a rad?

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, biotoxin said:

you wouldn't happen to know the exact length of a 140x480 rad including edges? like a standard 120 is actually usually around 126

second do you know anyone that sells such a rad?

It varies between different brands since some have larger end tanks, most make quad rads as that's a fairly standard size in large cases. Alphacool, EKWB, Hardwarelabs are the big ones I would say and they all have 480mm rads and more.