AMD Ryzen has issues with high frequency RAM! - Fix will come in 1-2 months

kladzen
8 minutes ago, WereCat said:

But it is not such a big deal as you make it seem by mocking people that pre-ordered it.

I was mocking people that pre-order way before Zen pre-orders went open xD

4 hours ago, Enderman said:

2400 is like, minimum for ddr4....

Almost all DDR4 is 2400 and above.

but it will only afect 4 dim users :-| how many of those there are with the current ddr4 prices

3 minutes ago, cj09beira said:

but it will only afect 4 dim users :-| how many of those there are with the current ddr4 prices

A lot more than you think.

DDR4 is getting cheaper.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

2 minutes ago, Enderman said:

DDR4 is getting cheaper.

Aren't the prices supposed to be going up until summer?

15 minutes ago, WereCat said:

Aren't the prices supposed to be going up until summer?

Yes, there is a NAND shortage atm. Memory prices have slowly been creeping up. My personal kit is already up $20 from what I paid for it. 

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

I'm curious, is this a legit news story?

I mean a simple search on Google doesn't net any results.

Wouldn't Asus make it public?

I'm not pro-AMD nor pro-Intel, I just think both should get a piece of the cake.

Thus, from the war of nature, from famine and death, the most exalted object which we are capable of conceiving, namely, the production of the higher animals, directly follows. There is grandeur in this view of life, with its several powers, having been originally breathed into a few forms or into one; and that, whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been, and are being, evolved.

53 minutes ago, Enderman said:

DDR4 is getting cheaper.

Not a problem for me since I plan to be going mini ITX from now on ^_^.

Luckily I'm right at the limit. I have 2 16GB sticks clocked at 3200MHz. Still sucks that this exists though. Hopefully can come out sooner than 1 to 2 months.

COMIC SANS

2 hours ago, WereCat said:

How many people will actually use more than 2 sticks of RAM?

look at this:

4 minutes ago, zMeul said:

look at this:

What about it? 4x4GB of 2133 DDR4 will work just fine. Did you not read the OP? 2DPC works just fine as long as it's under 2666mhz. 

I find it interesting they're thinking this will be fixable with no physical hardware modifications

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

7 hours ago, ZeusXI said:

well....considering faster ram doesnt help much in the long run according to an LTT video, 2400 is the sweet spot anyways. higher ram speeds has higher cas lat so you are better off with 2400 anyways. 2133 and 2400 is the highest i would ever buy IMO. Granted, there is a better read/write speed of the ram, but how much is too much?

That video is bullshit. They tested with a midrange gpu with massive antialiasing on. Of course the numbers were all the same because all he was doing was a gpu benchmark with the same gpu. RAM speed often matters when running a game at CPU bound settings, but never at GPU bound settings.

Not that I'm trying to shit on Ryzen or anything. It's an extremely exciting launch and you gotta expect a few bugs for early adopters.

7 hours ago, Bouzoo said:

Linus has been called out on this but never gave a response, there are scenarios where RAM will boost your FPS by a huge margin (iirc Fallout 4 gets 20%+ more FPS). Here is MageTanks thread. It's more than a year old btw, we have goodies like 4266 MHz RAM now. 

Yeah Fallout 4 benefited pretty greatly from an upgrade to DDR3-1600 to DDR3-2400 with my Xeon E3-1231v3 + GTX 970 system. I went from dips into the high 40s to  locked 60 fps.

26 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I find it interesting they're thinking this will be fixable with no physical hardware modifications

It depends entirely on whats causing the issue. The fact that you have to run slower speeds the moment 2DPC timings are activated, tells me it's fixable by loosening the 2DPC timings. The problem, or at least, what I feel the problem might be, is that the CPU's are not allowing the SPD data to modify said timings, or the timings themselves are not being made available to motherboard manufacturers in the first place. In which case, a software patch is perfectly applicable.

It's certainly not a trace topology issue, especially if it's impacting ASUS and ASrock equally (both of which are the best of the best in this area). If it's the IMC itself being completely crippled, then yeah... No amount of BIOS updates will solve that.

As arrogant as it would be to say "I think I can fix this", I really feel like if I had my hands on it, I could get it to work. Not saying I know more than AMD's/ASUS's engineers, just that I don't have to work within the predefined limitations that they have to work in. I can use obscene amounts of voltage, different timing/clock configurations and other tricks to at least prove/disprove the IMC's capabilities. 

1 minute ago, MageTank said:

*snip*

Yeah that all makes sense.  Lets hope it's not the IMC or something else actually in the CPU! :D 

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Aaand there is the let down I waiting for. 

At least there will be a fix though. 

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

3 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Yeah that all makes sense.  Lets hope it's not the IMC or something else actually in the CPU! :D 

What I gather from reading ASUS's info, is that it's an issue with the lack of availability of important timings: 

As it stands the AMD code has restricted RAM tuning options which means many RAM kits at launch will not be compatible.

I do wonder about the wording of this. I wonder if they mean "RAM tuning options" for them, such as profile compatibility, or if the options themselves are unavailable period, for everyone. Because we do have examples of boards locking down the options while still allowing for faster memory to be used. Laptops are a good example of this, having no manual tuning options but allowing support of DDR4 2800mhz SO-DIMMS that load perfectly fine. I suppose we will find out once they actually release them to the public and I can get my hands on a platform, though it's gonna have to wait for about another month or so to save up enough cash for an entire platform "upgrade", lol. 

9 hours ago, Pohernori said:

inb4 "ram speed doesn't matter" 

heh

That and "You don't need RAM Faster than 1333 MHz Anyways!!!

Just remember: Random people on the internet ALWAYS know more than professionals, when someone's lying, AND can predict the future.

i7 9700K (5.2Ghz @1.2V); MSI Z390 Gaming Edge AC; Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB 3200 CAS 16; H100i RGB Platinum; Samsung 970 Evo 1TB; Samsung 850 Evo 500GB; WD Black 3 TB; Phanteks 350x; Corsair RM19750w.

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 4K 9750H GTX 1650 16GB Ram 256GB SSD

Spoiler

sex hahaha

16 minutes ago, niofalpha said:

That and "You don't need RAM Faster than 1333GHz Anyways!!!

1.3 THz memory? Nope, you don't need faster than that.

I honestly think this matter more than it's being given credit: Forgetting gaming the launch chips are supposed to compete with high end intel rigs and I would imagine that workstation type loads do response favorably to more ram speed.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Meh, I was only going to buy 4x8gb 2400mhz kit anyways. 

CPU | Intel i9-10850K | GPU | EVGA 3080ti FTW3 HYBRID  | CASE | Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX | PSU | Corsair HX850i | RAM | 2x8GB G.skill Trident RGB 3000MHz | MOTHERBOARD | Asus Z490E Strix | STORAGE | Adata XPG 256GB NVME + Adata XPG 1T + WD Blue 1TB + Adata 480GB SSD | COOLING | Evga CLC280 | MONITOR | Acer Predator XB271HU | OS | Windows 10 |

10 hours ago, ZeusXI said:

well....considering faster ram doesnt help much in the long run according to an LTT video, 2400 is the sweet spot anyways. higher ram speeds has higher cas lat so you are better off with 2400 anyways. 2133 and 2400 is the highest i would ever buy IMO. Granted, there is a better read/write speed of the ram, but how much is too much?

The problem I forsee is that a lot of the fancy looking kits, only come in high speeds. Sure you can underclock but still.

The real question is, will the system even post or get to the bios?

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs