HDMI question - Overclocking monitor

Tech Wizard

Hello,

I overclocked my 2nd monitor, which is a 1080p 60hz to 70hz with HDMI cable, and it was stable AF. Now, before I decide to start pushing the hertz up, can HDMI cable even display over 60hz? There is no point in overclocking my monitor, if my cable can't work. Here's how it looks atm: 

monitor.PNG

Main:  1650 v2   @ 4,6GHz   -   X79 Deluxe                -   GTX 1080 @ 2000MHz   -   24GB DDR3 @ 2400MHz / CL10

Side:   i7-4790K @ 4,5GHz   -   Maximus 7 Hero        -   GTX 1070 @ 2114MHz    -  16GB DDR3 @ 2666MHz / CL12

HWBOT

3 minutes ago, Tech Wizard said:

Hello,

I overclocked my 2nd monitor, which is a 1080p 60hz to 70hz with HDMI cable, and it was stable AF. Now, before I decide to start pushing the hertz up, can HDMI cable even display over 60hz? There is no point in overclocking my monitor, if my cable can't work. Here's how it looks atm: 

Yes, HDMI can display over 60 Hz.

1 minute ago, Glenwing said:

Yes, HDMI can display over 60 Hz.

All the different HDMI versions, even the first ones? I'm not sure which HDMI cable version I am using.

And you said yes, they can display over 60hz. What is the max HDMI can display? Maybe I could hit 80+ on this monitor? :o:P

Main:  1650 v2   @ 4,6GHz   -   X79 Deluxe                -   GTX 1080 @ 2000MHz   -   24GB DDR3 @ 2400MHz / CL10

Side:   i7-4790K @ 4,5GHz   -   Maximus 7 Hero        -   GTX 1070 @ 2114MHz    -  16GB DDR3 @ 2666MHz / CL12

HWBOT

6 minutes ago, Tech Wizard said:

All the different HDMI versions, even the first ones? I'm not sure which HDMI cable version I am using.

And you said yes, they can display over 60hz. What is the max HDMI can display? Maybe I could hit 80+ on this monitor? :o:P

HDMI (and display interfaces in general) have no limit on refresh frequency. They have a maximum bandwidth, which is the combination of resolution and refresh frequency, so at some resolution it will have a maximum frequency at that particular resolution, but there is no "general maximum".

You can see the limits of each version at various resolutions here: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/729232-guide-to-display-cables-adapters-v20/

Under "Resolution and Refresh Frequency Limits of Everything", or use the bandwidth calculator at the bottom of the post.

Cables also don't really have versions, the version depends on the devices on either end, not the cable.

It depends on what HDMI implemention your monitor has, your GPU has and the cable you're using I'd think

Edit: answer above

Edited by Sack

6 minutes ago, Glenwing said:

HDMI (and display interfaces in general) have no limit on refresh frequency. They have a maximum bandwidth, which is the combination of resolution and refresh frequency, so at some resolution it will have a maximum frequency at that particular resolution, but there is no "general maximum".

You can see the limits of each version at various resolutions here: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/729232-guide-to-display-cables-adapters-v20/

Under "Resolution and Refresh Frequency Limits of Everything", or use the bandwidth calculator at the bottom of the post.

Cables also don't really have versions, the version depends on the devices on either end, not the cable.

5 minutes ago, Sack said:

It depends on what HDMI implemention your monitor has, your GPU has and the cable you're using I'd think

Edit: answer above

Thanks. Found out my max is 75hz, and went full blackscreen @ 80hz. At least I got +15hz :D

HWBOT