Setting up 4k monitor with 1080p monitor

achunkykoala
Go to solution Solved by achunkykoala,

So I found my solution. What I did

1. reset all settings within windows > settings > devices >  display back to default.

2. I then changed the 1080p monitor to upscale to 3840 x 2160 (4k).

3. Then i made the native 4k monitor the main display.

4. I then right clicked the desktop and opened "screen resolution" tab.

5. I then clicked the little box for set all displays the same or something similar and made it 200%.

6. I then just highlighted and dragged the desktop items over to the native 1080p monitor upscaled to 4k.

This means that the monitors think they're the same size so all of the text and writing is the same size on both. This method does make the 1080p display quite a bit blurrier however if I'm only using it for browsing chrome it wont matter too much.

Thanks for the replies anyways :D

Hey i just bought an asus mg24u. So ive set my displays up with the 4k monitor in the middle and an old 1080p monitor on the left. What i want to achieve is to have the 4k monitor have games open on there (this isn't my problem lease read further) and then have the desktop icons, taskbar, etc on the 1080p screen while having a game playing. So ive got the 1080p monitor set to 1080p and it as the main monitor however all of the desktop icons are huge and when i open google chrome it opens massive and really zoomed as if it was a 720p display or the likes. Also on the 4k monitor all text is absolutely tiny and almost unreadable. (those 2 were my probelms)  Does anyone have any suggestions?? FYI Im running Windows 8.1, Gtx 1060, 16gb RAM, Asus mg24u and Aoc e2450swh.

Thanks in advance for any replies :)

Got the same exact monitor setup as you. What you're gonna wanna do is go onto your multiple display settings and change your scaling to 200% on the 4k monitor and 100% on the 1080p. 

2 minutes ago, Fungal said:

Got the same exact monitor setup as you. What you're gonna wanna do is go onto your multiple display settings and change your scaling to 200% on the 4k monitor and 100% on the 1080p. 

Do you mean the display settings in windows because on win 8 theres no slider its just a selection and it doesnt work very well

1 hour ago, achunkykoala said:

Most games won't give you the option of choosing what display they run on, they'll just automatically go to your main display

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

17 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

Most games won't give you the option of choosing what display they run on, they'll just automatically go to your main display

I use a Mac, but I am pretty sure applications/games will run on the monitor that you open them on.

2 minutes ago, Theo J said:

I use a Mac, but I am pretty sure applications/games will run on the monitor that you open them on.

Don't know about that or windows 10, but If I have an icon on my 2nd display, it'll still open on my main display

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

1 minute ago, Streetguru said:

Don't know about that or windows 10, but If I have an icon on my 2nd display, it'll still open on my main display

Hm.

Well then OP, maybe you could make your 4k Monitor your main display, have the taskbar show up on both monitors, and put your icons on the 2nd display. (1080p)

When you open apps that aren't games, just move them over to the other monitor.

Not as simple as what you wanted, but I am not 100% sure with how that works with Windows.

So I found my solution. What I did

1. reset all settings within windows > settings > devices >  display back to default.

2. I then changed the 1080p monitor to upscale to 3840 x 2160 (4k).

3. Then i made the native 4k monitor the main display.

4. I then right clicked the desktop and opened "screen resolution" tab.

5. I then clicked the little box for set all displays the same or something similar and made it 200%.

6. I then just highlighted and dragged the desktop items over to the native 1080p monitor upscaled to 4k.

This means that the monitors think they're the same size so all of the text and writing is the same size on both. This method does make the 1080p display quite a bit blurrier however if I'm only using it for browsing chrome it wont matter too much.

Thanks for the replies anyways :D