Cloudflare Reverse Proxies are Dumping Uninitialized Memory

vorticalbox

full list of almost 4.3 million domains can be found here

https://github.com/pirate/sites-using-cloudflare/blob/master/README.md

or a website to check can be found

http://www.doesitusecloudflare.com/

It became clear after a while we were looking at chunks of uninitialized memory interspersed with valid data. The program that this uninitialized data was coming from just happened to have the data I wanted in memory at the time. That solved the mystery, but some of the nearby memory had strings and objects that really seemed like they could be from a reverse proxy operated by cloudflare - a major cdn service.

A while later, we figured out how to reproduce the problem. It looked like that if an html page hosted behind cloudflare had a specific combination of unbalanced tags, the proxy would intersperse pages of uninitialized memory into the output (kinda like heartbleed, but cloudflare specific and worse for reasons I'll explain later). My working theory was that this was related to their "ScrapeShield" feature which parses and obfuscates html - but because reverse proxies are shared between customers, it would affect *all* Cloudflare customers.

We fetched a few live samples, and we observed encryption keys, cookies, passwords, chunks of POST data and even HTTPS requests for other major cloudflare-hosted sites from other users. Once we understood what we were seeing and the implications, we immediately stopped and contacted cloudflare security.

This is about as bad as it gets,they've potentially been spraying it into caches all across the Internet. Tavis found it by accident just looking through Google search results, that's how bad this situation was.

potential every website that uses cloudflare has potentially compromised everything that is being served; API keys, sessions, personal information, user passwords, the works.

i don't even know where to start in thinking of cleaning up this mess but I will be changing my passwords for all cloudflare sites.

Sources

https://bugs.chromium.org/p/project-zero/issues/detail?id=1139

https://blog.cloudflare.com/incident-report-on-memory-leak-caused-by-cloudflare-parser-bug/

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

Well, crap. Almost everything uses cloud fare. Is there any info on how long this has been happening?

Current LTT F@H Rank: 90    Score: 2,503,680,659    Stats

Yes, I have 9 monitors.

My main PC (Hybrid Windows 10/Arch Linux):

OS: Arch Linux w/ XFCE DE (VFIO-Patched Kernel) as host OS, windows 10 as guest

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X w/PBO on (6c 12t for host, 6c 12t for guest)

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15

Mobo: Asus X470-F Gaming

RAM: 32GB G-Skill Ripjaws V @ 3200MHz (12GB for host, 20GB for guest)

GPU: Guest: EVGA RTX 3070 FTW3 ULTRA Host: 2x Radeon HD 8470

PSU: EVGA G2 650W

SSDs: Guest: Samsung 850 evo 120 GB, Samsung 860 evo 1TB Host: Samsung 970 evo 500GB NVME

HDD: Guest: WD Caviar Blue 1 TB

Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Black w/ Tempered Glass Side Panel Upgrade

Other: White LED strip to illuminate the interior. Extra fractal intake fan for positive pressure.

unRAID server (Plex, Windows 10 VM, NAS, Duplicati, game servers):

CPU: Ryzen R7 2700x @ Stock

Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S

Mobo: Asus Prime X470-Pro

RAM: 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V + 16GB Hyperx Fury Black @ stock

GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2

PSU: EVGA G3 850W

SSD: Samsung 970 evo NVME 250GB, Samsung 860 evo SATA 1TB 

HDDs: 4x HGST Dekstar NAS 4TB @ 7200RPM (3 data, 1 parity)

Case: Sillverstone GD08B

Other: Added 3x Noctua NF-F12 intake, 2x Noctua NF-A8 exhaust, Inatek 5 port USB 3.0 expansion card with usb 3.0 front panel header

Details: 12GB ram, GTX 1080, USB card passed through to windows 10 VM. VM's OS drive is the SATA SSD. Rest of resources are for Plex, Duplicati, Spaghettidetective, Nextcloud, and game servers.

20 minutes ago, vorticalbox said:

i don't even know where to start in thinking of cleaning up this mess but I will be changing my passwords for all cloudflare sites.

I'd be more worried about the fact that they were even transmitting plaintext passwords instead of the hash.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

This website uses Cloudland, does it not?

Royal Rumble: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/N3v3r3nding_N3wb/saved/#view=NR9ycf

"How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think." -- Adolf Hitler

"I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught." -- Winston Churchill

"We must learn to live together as brothers or perish together as fools." -- Martin Luther King Jr.

2 hours ago, vorticalbox said:

the LTT forums is one of the many sites that use cloudfare...

maybe now people will stop using it and use something else.

****SORRY FOR MY ENGLISH IT'S REALLY TERRIBLE*****

Been married to my wife for 3 years now! Yay!

The password I use for this site isn't one of my good ones anyway. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

2 minutes ago, Zodiark1593 said:

The password I use for this site isn't one of my good ones anyway. 

I use 1Password for this exact reason.

Main Gaming PC (new): HP Omen 30L || i9 10850K || RTX 3070 || 512GB WD Blue NVME || 2TB HDD, 4TB HDD, 8TB HDD ||  750W P2 ||  16GB HyperX Black DDR4

Main Gaming PC (old, still own) : Intel Core i7 7700K @5.0Ghz || GPU: GTX 1080 Seahawk EK X || Motherboard: Maximus VIII Impact || Case: Fractal Design Define Nano S || RAM : 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 

Cooling: EK XRES D5 100mm || Alphacool ST30 280mm w/ Vardars || Alphacool ST30 240mm w/ Vardars || Swiftech 3/8 x 1/2'' Lok-Seal Compressions || Swiftech EVGA Hydrocopper Block || Primochill Advanced LRT Orange || Distilled Water

Folding@Home Rig: 2x X5690s @4.6Ghz || GPUs: 2x Radeon HD 7990 || Motherboard: EVGA SR-2 || Case: Corsair 900D || RAM: 48GB Corsair Dominator GT 2000Mhz CL9

Ethereum Mining Rig: Pentium G4400 || Gigabyte Z170X-UD5 TH || 2x GTX 1060s (Samsung & Hynix) 1x GTX 1070 (Micron), 2x RX480s BIOS modded (Samsung), 1x R9 290X 8GB, 1x GTX 1660 Super = ~ 195 Mh/s

Peripherals: 3x U2412M (5760x1200), 1x U3011 (2560x1600) || Logitech G710 (Cherry Blues) || Logitech G600 || Brainwavz HM5 with @Gofspar Mod 

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 || "Infinity Edge" 4K IPS Screen || i7 7700HQ || GTX 1050 || 16GB 2400Mhz RAM 

30 minutes ago, arnavvr said:

I use 1Password for this exact reason.

*ponders whether to test it for lackluster amusement*

Looking at the article, it is quite impressive to see such a serious bug fixed in so little time, while not breaking much else doing so. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

https://arstechnica.com/security/2017/02/serious-cloudflare-bug-exposed-a-potpourri-of-secret-customer-data/

Cloudflare, a service that helps optimize the security and performance of more than 5.5 million websites, warned customers today that a recently fixed software bug exposed a range of sensitive information that could have included passwords, and cookies and tokens used to authenticate users.

The leakage was the result of a bug in an HTML parser chain Cloudflare uses to modify Web pages as they pass through the service's edge servers. The parser performs a variety of tasks, such as inserting Google Analytics tags, converting HTTP links to the more secure HTTPS variety, obfuscating email addresses, and excluding parts of a page from malicious Web bots. When the parser was used in combination with three Cloudflare features—e-mail obfuscation, server-side Cusexcludes, and Automatic HTTPS Rewrites—it caused Cloudflare edge servers to leak pseudo random memory contents into certain HTTP responses.

Basically you should pretty much change your password for pretty much everything, in which I would assume Linus Tech Tips as well since LTT uses Cloudflare.

1 hour ago, Zodiark1593 said:

*ponders whether to test it for lackluster amusement*

Looking at the article, it is quite impressive to see such a serious bug fixed in so little time, while not breaking much else doing so. 

You should try it, there is a one month free trial.

Main Gaming PC (new): HP Omen 30L || i9 10850K || RTX 3070 || 512GB WD Blue NVME || 2TB HDD, 4TB HDD, 8TB HDD ||  750W P2 ||  16GB HyperX Black DDR4

Main Gaming PC (old, still own) : Intel Core i7 7700K @5.0Ghz || GPU: GTX 1080 Seahawk EK X || Motherboard: Maximus VIII Impact || Case: Fractal Design Define Nano S || RAM : 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 

Cooling: EK XRES D5 100mm || Alphacool ST30 280mm w/ Vardars || Alphacool ST30 240mm w/ Vardars || Swiftech 3/8 x 1/2'' Lok-Seal Compressions || Swiftech EVGA Hydrocopper Block || Primochill Advanced LRT Orange || Distilled Water

Folding@Home Rig: 2x X5690s @4.6Ghz || GPUs: 2x Radeon HD 7990 || Motherboard: EVGA SR-2 || Case: Corsair 900D || RAM: 48GB Corsair Dominator GT 2000Mhz CL9

Ethereum Mining Rig: Pentium G4400 || Gigabyte Z170X-UD5 TH || 2x GTX 1060s (Samsung & Hynix) 1x GTX 1070 (Micron), 2x RX480s BIOS modded (Samsung), 1x R9 290X 8GB, 1x GTX 1660 Super = ~ 195 Mh/s

Peripherals: 3x U2412M (5760x1200), 1x U3011 (2560x1600) || Logitech G710 (Cherry Blues) || Logitech G600 || Brainwavz HM5 with @Gofspar Mod 

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 || "Infinity Edge" 4K IPS Screen || i7 7700HQ || GTX 1050 || 16GB 2400Mhz RAM 

8 minutes ago, RGProductions said:

FFS now i have to think of another generic password

Good let me remember that you use Another Generic as your password

3 minutes ago, Jed M said:

... for fucksakes... I literally just switched to using CloudFlare in January and now there's a data leak. 

Jed, holy shit haha. I know you from MCM. (It's supertolerator.)

Anyway, that's pretty crazy. I'll most likely be changing my passwords. Thanks for the heads up OP.

2 minutes ago, Theo J said:

Jed M, holy shit haha. I know you from MCM. (It's supertolerator.)

Anyway, that's pretty crazy. I'll most likely be changing my passwords. Thanks for the heads up OP.

Off topic, but I got banned from there because someone refunded a payment and I wouldn't resend it to them lmao.

1 minute ago, Jed M said:

Off topic but, I got banned from there because someone refunded a payment and I wouldn't resend it to them lmao.

That sucks. Good to see you again though.

From the Article:

Graham-Cummings, the Cloudflare CTO, has ruled out the possibility that secret keys for customers' transport layer security certificates were exposed in the leaks. Still, he said end-user passwords, authentication cookies, OAuth tokens used to log into multiple website accounts, and encryption keys Cloudflare uses to protect server-to-server traffic were all at risk of being exposed.

quite the leak indeed...

Edit: So I just sifted through that wonderful 71MB text file and found that 3 websites I use are on there. Those being Udemy.com Nexusmods.com and Newegg.com

Figured I'd add them in case anyone else uses them here, we all probably have Newegg accounts xD

Edited by imreloadin
Added websites.

5 hours ago, vorticalbox said:

I'd love to do this, but I'd be here all week. At what point do consumers get reimbursement for time wasted due to poorly engineered services?

Full stop: I am a developer myself, so I completely understand this is no singular person's fault. However, when literally all services are passed through some form of Web Application Firewall in the future, at what point do consumers have a choice in the protection and security of their data? We can't opt out of using WAF's, since the whole point is to protect the sites that hide behind them, but at the same time, what do consumers do to protect themselves from a single point of failure? More importantly, who pays for the security of our data?

According to ArsTechnica @sazrocks it could have been happening as far back as September 16th 2016.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

36 minutes ago, kirashi said:

According to ArsTechnica  it could have been happening as far back as September 16th 2016.

Cloudfare says the September 22nd in their blog post when Automatic HTTP Rewrites was enabled, January 30th 2017 for Server Side Excludes, February 23th for Email Obfuscation. All of which have been implicated in the cause. They know the particular line of code that caused it but they aren't sure exactly which feature was the root cause.

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

1 hour ago, DeadEyePsycho said:

Cloudfare says the September 22nd in their blog post when Automatic HTTP Rewrites was enabled, January 30th 2017 for Server Side Excludes, February 23th for Email Obfuscation. All of which have been implicated in the cause. They know the particular line of code that caused it but they aren't sure exactly which feature was the root cause.

Good that they know the exact dates. I keep seeing different information everywhere.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

7 minutes ago, kirashi said:

Good that they know the exact dates. I keep seeing different information everywhere.

Here's the direct source. https://blog.cloudflare.com/incident-report-on-memory-leak-caused-by-cloudflare-parser-bug/

It was literally as simple as using the '==' operator in an if statement condition instead of the correct '>='.

Everyone should change their passwords regardless of whether or not the sites you use have 2 factor authentication. Having your password out there is bad.

And I will take this opportunity to shill recommend Keepass2.

No need to pay money for a password manager when there is a great one that's free and open source out there.