Future of Gaming Monitors

Ozymandias Inc

What are everyone's thoughts on the future of gaming monitors? Price reduction in 144Hz IPS displays? IPS 144Hz coming to 24 inch? New features, or likely just the same old same old for the next year or so?

Basically is now a good time to buy a new high end gaming monitor, or wait for some more developments and just buy one when I update my desktop in a year or so?

(insert letter here)OLED monitors with HDR is the future as OLED is getting less and less expensive for computer monitors - the panel type is already inexpensive for phones. As far as refresh rate goes, no comment from me as I don't know what goes into making a monitor be able to have a super high refresh rate.

1 minute ago, Kloaked said:

(insert letter here)OLED monitors with HDR is the future as OLED is getting less and less expensive for computer monitors - the panel type is already inexpensive for phones. As far as refresh rate goes, no comment from me as I don't know what goes into making a monitor be able to have a super high refresh rate.

What about burn in?

2 minutes ago, lilbman said:

What about burn in?

I don't think burn in is as popular of an issue as it used to be.

10K IPS 1000Hz refresh rate

3 minutes ago, Kloaked said:

I don't think burn in is as popular of an issue as it used to be.

Quantum Dots is a good alternative. very close to OLED quality picture. the monitor I mention above uses similar panel technology, but we'll have to see if Asus gets it right 

5 minutes ago, Ozymandias Inc said:

What are everyone's thoughts on the future of gaming monitors? Price reduction in 144Hz IPS displays? IPS 144Hz coming to 24 inch? New features, or likely just the same old same old for the next year or so?

Basically is now a good time to buy a new high end gaming monitor, or wait for some more developments and just buy one when I update my desktop in a year or so?

Maybe a price reduction, but I doubt anything large. Anything "gamer" branded always comes with a stupid markup because "gamer!"

Otherwise the near future feature is HDR displays.

3 minutes ago, Kloaked said:

It's inexpensive for phones because they're smaller. However, LG's 50"+ OLED TVs aren't too much more expensive now than LCDs at the same size.

2 minutes ago, lilbman said:

What about burn in?

I think at this point the issue is exaggerated by others at best. I've had two electronics with OLED displays and one of them didn't even exhibit burn in after five years even though the possibility of it, due to statically positioned UI elements, was always there.

1 minute ago, Technicolors said:

Well, the upcoming Asus PG27UQ is a go. 4K 144Hz HDR QLED (Quantum Dots, similar tech you see in Samsung's Quantum Dot TVs) 27" monitor. hopefully if demand is good they'll make a larger variant 

Eh, their usage of Quantum Dots is for backlighting, not using QDs as the actual subpixel. So it's just an LCD with another backlight source.