Can you wash a graphics card?

Yes, wash, with water!?

Now i realise this might seem like a strange question, water and electronics tend not to go well together. But i just purchased a GTX260 216 Core from eBay to be used in the Q6600 PC i use when at home from Uni over Christmas holidays etc.

As soon as took it out the box, i was shocked at how dirty it was! Like full of dust, really black thick fluffy dust! It also has a really strong smell, not sure what of, but it sort of reminds me of a Christmas scent wall plug thing my mother has, but not pleasant!

You could shake it and this horrible fluff comes out the fan opening. I should have taken pictures. I removed the cooler, and removed the bulk of the dust and fluff, but there's still a lot stuck in the heatsink and fan fins. Still stinks.

I reapplied thermal paste and put everything back together, tested it in my PC, and it runs fine.

Now here come the question, if i were to wash it with water to clear the heatsink and fan out, leave it to dry for over a month, would it be safe to use? And if so, what precautions do i need to take?

3770K | GTX970 | 16GB DDR3 | Corsair RM750

Don't troll

Use compressed air

CPUIntel 4670k  Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z87X-D3H  RAMKingston HyperX 8GB  GPU - EVGA 780  Case - Fractal Design Define R4    Storage - 2TB WD Black, Samsung 840 Evo 128GB     PSU - Corsair RM650  Display -  Benq XL2430T and Acer S235HL  Cooling - CM Hyper 212 Evo  Keyboard - Corsair K95  Mouse - Razer Deathadder  Sound - Sennheiser HD 558                                 Mic - Blue Snowball  Phone- OnePlus One  Tablet - Nvidia Shield

Really, not even with a £20 GPU? Bearing in mind this is not getting turned on for over a month, so im expecting it to be 100% dry.

Definately a no go?

NO

Rig CPU Intel i5 3570K at 4.2 GHz - MB MSI Z77A-GD55 - RAM Kingston 8GB 1600 mhz - GPU XFX 7870 Double D - Keyboard Logitech G710+

Case Corsair 600T - Storage Intel 330 120GB, WD Blue 1TB - CPU Cooler Noctua NH-D14 - Displays Dell U2312HM, Asus VS228, Acer AL1715

This sounds extremely troll like

Never put water on any computer componet, its majorly conductive and if you actually washed the whole card with water you would ruin it..

Hope I could help!

Specs: CPU: AMD FX-8320 @4.0ghz GPU: ASUS DCUII GTX 770 PSU: EVGA Supernova 750g CASE: Fractal Define R4 RAM: 8 Gigabytes ADATA 1333 Mhz MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3

Compressed air, and don't blow it upside down because it freezes stuff when the bottle is used upside down. HAPPY BLOWING!

There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary, and those who don't.

A man once washed a motherboard in soaking sink (all the way)

did not work

dried a little more (just let it dry)

worked

I would rather not.

To love is to risk not being loved in return. To hope is to risk pain. To try is to risk failure, but risk must be taken because the greatest hazard in life is to risk nothing.

Yes, wash, with water!?

Now i realise this might seem like a strange question, water and electronics tend not to go well together. But i just purchased a GTX260 216 Core from eBay to be used in the Q6600 PC i use when at home from Uni over Christmas holidays etc.

As soon as took it out the box, i was shocked at how dirty it was! Like full of dust, really black thick fluffy dust! It also has a really strong smell, not sure what of, but it sort of reminds me of a Christmas scent wall plug thing my mother has, but not pleasant!

You could shake it and this horrible fluff comes out the fan opening. I should have taken pictures. I removed the cooler, and removed the bulk of the dust and fluff, but there's still a lot stuck in the heatsink and fan fins. Still stinks.

I reapplied thermal paste and put everything back together, tested it in my PC, and it runs fine.

Now here come the question, if i were to wash it with water to clear the heatsink and fan out, leave it to dry for over a month, would it be safe to use? And if so, what precautions do i need to take?

LOL! Dude, if you wash it (IT WOULDN'T BE USABLE!) the graphics card would shock in the water and shorten out.

You want to buy some of this : http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Canned%20air Its safe to use on your computer, and won't damage any of your parts.

こんにちは, まだ学習漢字 ;)

Use compressed air but about your question you can actually do it with distilled water which isn't conductive.(I think,don't do it) 

"You can get more of what you want with a kind word and a gun than you can with just a kind word." -- Al Capone.

why not wash just the heatsink and fan after removing them? don't dip the entire videocard in water.

Really, not even with a £20 GPU? Bearing in mind this is not getting turned on for over a month, so im expecting it to be 100% dry.

Definately a no go?

Not even with a  £5 gpu.

こんにちは, まだ学習漢字 ;)

Costco has 5-7 cans of gas for 17 bucks. Not bad. 2x 10oz cans for 10$ on amazon.

I own some myself (amazon ones)...

To love is to risk not being loved in return. To hope is to risk pain. To try is to risk failure, but risk must be taken because the greatest hazard in life is to risk nothing.

Cleaning it with air is faster and simpler. And it doesn't destroy your graphics card.

Indeed!  Bath time!

ec19.jpg

^ Voodoo 2 getting clean

qgy7.jpg

^ Drying

jip8.jpg

^ Mobo getting a scrub down

Still have yet to find my SB live.. have some things to do around here for a couple hr's then i'll go look in the garage for it and some other spare parts.  pretty sure i have an old dell out there than can have some parts robbed off it.

Thanks for the comments guys, i'll post some more pics when they are dry, but they cleaned up fairly well... just need to let them set for a day or 2 to let them dry.

This guy did it. Its where i got the idea. And yeah if im not doing it ill wait till im home from christmas, we have a big comressor, ill use that.

You guys do realize hes talking just about the heatsink with the fans don't you? He doesn't just throwing the entire card in water......

I think you a word.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

LOL! Dude, if you wash it (IT WOULDN'T BE USABLE!) the graphics card would shock in the water and shorten out.

You want to buy some of this : http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Canned%20air Its safe to use on your computer, and won't damage any of your parts.

well actually it wouldn't .. it won't short out unless you power it on while it's still moist, he obviously wouldn't clean it WHILE IT IS  STILL RUNNING, still, wouldn't do it, bad idea.

i wonder why so many people say things like short out the circuit. that only happens when you have something to conduct. the guy's not an idiot who would wash his graphic cards while there is a power source supplying it with electricity = =.

(edit: unless it has it's own power source, you would likely damage the power source than the circuit. Then you would have to change the power source, for example an internal battery in mouse, etc.)

(2nd edit: If you are going to wash it, I suggest buying distilled water (PURE water). Don't use tap water.)

Even if you throw the entire card in water it will be fine.  Water does not damage electronics, electricity damages electronics.  Impure water (i.e. tap water), being conductive, creates bridges and pathways so that the power going through the card can go places it isn't supposed to go, in unregulated amounts.  That's what damages electronics.  Of course this only applies as long as there is power.  If the graphics card is not connected to anything, it's just fiberglass and copper, throwing water on it won't make it spontaneously explode or anything.

The only thing you would need to watch out for is using liquids that will leave behind residue, which will leave conductive pathways behind when it dries.  If you wash it, don't use any soap or chemicals, just as pure water as you can manage.

And drip dry it for a few days before you use it.  Or hit it with a leafblower if you want.  Sticking it in a bag of rice is always a good way to dry it too.

Water could work but you have to take extreme care and be patient. But really, just blow some air and if you can't get that pesky dust off of it, just buy a short paint bush and bush it softly off, I'm talking a dry brush, not one dipped in water or paint! Again, brush softly as if it was your eye.

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

You COULD potentially do it. But I would not try it.

You would first need to make sure ALLLLL of the capacitance in the card is drained out. I'm not sure how you would do this. I guess by leaving it unplugged for a long time. Then you could wash it with water. Dry it out normally, and then place it in a bag of rice. Rice soaks moisture. People drop their phones into the toilet all the time. Phones that have a live BATTERY. They take it out of the water, put it in a bag of rice for a few days and their phone works perfectly fine after. Why wouldnt it work with a GPU?

Once again, It could work, but I would not recommend it.

PC Specs

Asus Rampage IV Extreme | Intel i7 3930K @ 4.7GHz | Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz 32GB (8x4GB) | MSI GTX 980 +200MHz +200MHz | Corsair HX1050i PSU

Corsair Force 120GB SSD | Western Digital 2TB Green HDD | Corsair Carbide 500R Midtower | Random DVD Burner | Corsair H100 for CPU

Yeah the idea was, wash it now, leave it till im home halfway through december then use it then, in hopes itl be fully dry.

Most of you seem against the idea, so i probably wont do it, just a thought!

Yeah the idea was, wash it now, leave it till im home halfway through december then use it then, in hopes itl be fully dry.

Most of you seem against the idea, so i probably wont do it, just a thought!

leave it there for a month and in dry surroundings. also like mentioned by others, use pure water, you can buy distilled water. (reason: no electrolytes.)