Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
nicklmg

Server Room Vlog Series

I would love to get some of those orange 3d printed cable combs used in the video. Do you have the 3d model files?

Main Rig: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/58641-the-i7-950s-gots-to-go-updated-104/ | CPU: Intel i7-4930K | GPU: 2x EVGA Geforce GTX Titan SC SLI| MB: EVGA X79 Dark | RAM: 16GB HyperX Beast 2400mhz | SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256gb | HDD: 2x Western Digital Raptors 74gb | EX-H34B Hot Swap Rack | Case: Lian Li PC-D600 | Cooling: H100i | Power Supply: Corsair HX1050 |

Pfsense Build (Repurposed for plex) https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/715459-pfsense-build/

Really awesome project, loved episode 2; Just would love to watch Episode 3 and am willing to pay if an Admin got back to me about my floatplane subscription :P hint hint

I hope SEGA doesn't make a copyright claim for the Sonic sound effects. They have a history with YouTubers.

They really need to plug that ModMic into a cheapo USB soundcard. The reason they don't sound good out of the box is because they're almost always not getting enough juice from the mobo. 

CPU: i5 3570K  4.2 GHz   GPU: MSI GTX970  |  Case: Fractal R4  

Keyboard: Pok3r MX Brown   Mouse:  Razer Deathadder

I seem to have picked up on something that hasn't been mentioned yet: Right in the beginning of Episode 1 Linus says that he needs room to build a PetaByte memory system working with Seagate. The question I have about that is: Does LTT actually have a use for a PetaByte of memory?

I will never succumb to the New Cult and I reject the leadership of @Aelar_Nailo and his wicked parrot armies led by @FakeCIA and @DildorTheDecent. I will keep my eyes pure and remain dedicated to the path of the One True; IlLinusNati

so what happened to the server with the 8 slots for GPU's and the 22 core Xeon's? 

Probably waiting for the forum to load until the NBN gets here, while waiting for my school laptop to boot.

Custom PC:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 5820k | RAM: 20GB 2400 DDR4 | Mobo: Asus x99-a | GPU: MSI gtx 980 | Case: Coolermaster CM Storm | HDD: 3TB WD Black | SSD: 250GB Samsung 850 Evo | PSU: Coolermaster V1000 | Display: BenQ XL2730Z | OS: Windows 10 Home (boot: 34 seconds)

School Laptop (Used to run Inventor and Photoshop):

Spoiler

HP Probook 430 G2 (CPU: i3 4030U (underclocked and locked to 1.9Ghz) | RAM: 4GB | HDD: 320GB (60GB for user) | Display: 1366x768 TN 13.3 | (boot: 7:23) (Now with 200% more bloat)

Personal Laptop:

Spoiler

Dell Inspiron PP20L OS: Mint and CentOS (absolutely crushes my school laptop despite being about 8 years old)

Peripherals:

Spoiler

Headmounted Speakers: Sony MDR 1RNC ( @LinusTech should seriously review some Sony headphones, these sound amazing.) , TypeWriter: Logitech  MX800, Clicker: Logitech MX800

Totally Useful Links:

Spoiler

Server needs some RGB goodness.  Otherwise enjoying the series.

PC - NZXT 340 Black, Intel i7 6700k, Noctua NH-U9S, 16GB Corsair DDR 4 2133mhz, Asus H170 Pro Gaming , Gigabyte 1080 OC Windforce, Samsung 860 250GB (OS) Samsung 850 Evo 250GB (Games) Samsung 840 Evo 500GB (games)

Mac - 1.4ghz i5, 4GB DDR3 1600mhz, Intel HD 5000.  x2

Endlessly wishing for a BBQ in space.

7 hours ago, straight_stewie said:

I seem to have picked up on something that hasn't been mentioned yet: Right in the beginning of Episode 1 Linus says that he needs room to build a PetaByte memory system working with Seagate. The question I have about that is: Does LTT actually have a use for a PetaByte of memory?

There is definitely some overkill (like in everything at LMG), also due to the partnership/sponsorship.

However... my guesses.... they will definitely do some kind of RAID so capacity is reduced. They likely shot hours of video every day, in very high resolution, and after the edits they probably archive everything. So if you look into mid-long term they will probably manage to fill it up...

Kind of a little surprised that LTT hasn't set up a render farm to complete their rendering faster - isn't that how all the big companies do it? yes i know, expensive blah blah...

I was just thinking during the video that instead of those blasted cage nuts, you guys could have used rack studs, from rackstuds.com.  I've always wanted to use them but haven't had the opportunity yet.

Just now, Devryguy81 said:

I was just thinking during the video that instead of those blasted cage nuts, you guys could have used rack studs, from rackstuds.com.  I've always wanted to use them but haven't had the opportunity yet.

The cage nuts are snap to put in and take out (literally) with this nice little tool (I never leave home without it):

cage_nut_tool.jpg

All aboard the Floatplane!

Gaming PC: AMD Ryzen 7 1700 | AMD Wraith Stealth | ASRock Fatal1ty AB350 Gaming-ITX/ac | G.Skill Flare X 32GB (16GBx2) | NVIDIA GTX 1080 8GB FE | Fractal Design Node 202 | Samsung 860 EVO 1TB M.2 SSD

Streaming PC: AMD Ryzen 7 1700 | AMD Wraith Stealth | ASRock Fatal1ty AB350 Gaming-ITX/ac | G.Skill Aegis X 8GB (4GBx2) | ASRock Phantom Gaming Radeon RX 550 | Fractal Design Node 202 | Mushkin Enhanced Source 500GB M.2 SSD

Daily Driver: ODroid H2 | Intel Celeron J4105 | G.SKILL Ripjaws 16GB (8GBx2) | HardKernel Type 2 Case | Intel SSD 600p 128GB NVMe SSD

29 minutes ago, KuJoe said:

The cage nuts are snap to put in and take out (literally) with this nice little tool (I never leave home without it):

I need one! I've completely murdered my fingers on those little fucks.

Just now, JoeyDM said:

I need one! I've completely murdered my fingers on those little fucks.

Sometimes they come with cabinets or boxes of cage nuts depending on the brand, I used to have a really nice one but it didn't fit in my tool kit that well, it looked like this one: https://www.datacentergear.com/hot-deals/cage-nut-tool.html

All aboard the Floatplane!

Gaming PC: AMD Ryzen 7 1700 | AMD Wraith Stealth | ASRock Fatal1ty AB350 Gaming-ITX/ac | G.Skill Flare X 32GB (16GBx2) | NVIDIA GTX 1080 8GB FE | Fractal Design Node 202 | Samsung 860 EVO 1TB M.2 SSD

Streaming PC: AMD Ryzen 7 1700 | AMD Wraith Stealth | ASRock Fatal1ty AB350 Gaming-ITX/ac | G.Skill Aegis X 8GB (4GBx2) | ASRock Phantom Gaming Radeon RX 550 | Fractal Design Node 202 | Mushkin Enhanced Source 500GB M.2 SSD

Daily Driver: ODroid H2 | Intel Celeron J4105 | G.SKILL Ripjaws 16GB (8GBx2) | HardKernel Type 2 Case | Intel SSD 600p 128GB NVMe SSD

On 2/23/2017 at 6:26 PM, nicklmg said:

Each of the partner products comes in at some point during the 3-part series :)

Ep. 2 should come this weekend, with Ep. 3 coming later next week!

Woohoo!! *Just a tad excited, clearly*

11 hours ago, straight_stewie said:

8k video uses ALOT of space especially when uncompressed if they start putting 8k footage on there it will be full within 3 years i bet you your talking about 40GB for 10 mins of footage (based on how much my 4k uncompressed footage takes up) 

I lurk a lot

Why is showing the recording of the server room a security risk?

Please quote me so that I know that you have replied unless it is my own topic.

2 hours ago, Ezio Auditore said:

Why is showing the recording of the server room a security risk?

Maybe if someone hacked into any equipment there, they might get visual feedback of their successes.

CPU: Intel i7 7700K   Motherboard: ASUS Strix Z270H   RAM:  Vengeance 2 x 8GB DDR4 3200   GPU:  2 X Zotac GTX 1080 Amp Edition(SLI)

Storage:  M.2 Samsung Evo 860 TB / Samsung Evo 840 500GB   Case:  be quiet Dark Base 900   PSU: Corsair 850TX   Display:  ASUS PG348Q 34" 3440x1440 Ultrawide w/ GSYNC

On 3/2/2017 at 1:34 AM, LT16 said:

Who is Johnny, the UPS and switching guy, who is helping Linus?

Its me,

No just kidding.

I do not believe he is a full time employee, he just helps out with anything server related. 

Probably waiting for the forum to load until the NBN gets here, while waiting for my school laptop to boot.

Custom PC:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 5820k | RAM: 20GB 2400 DDR4 | Mobo: Asus x99-a | GPU: MSI gtx 980 | Case: Coolermaster CM Storm | HDD: 3TB WD Black | SSD: 250GB Samsung 850 Evo | PSU: Coolermaster V1000 | Display: BenQ XL2730Z | OS: Windows 10 Home (boot: 34 seconds)

School Laptop (Used to run Inventor and Photoshop):

Spoiler

HP Probook 430 G2 (CPU: i3 4030U (underclocked and locked to 1.9Ghz) | RAM: 4GB | HDD: 320GB (60GB for user) | Display: 1366x768 TN 13.3 | (boot: 7:23) (Now with 200% more bloat)

Personal Laptop:

Spoiler

Dell Inspiron PP20L OS: Mint and CentOS (absolutely crushes my school laptop despite being about 8 years old)

Peripherals:

Spoiler

Headmounted Speakers: Sony MDR 1RNC ( @LinusTech should seriously review some Sony headphones, these sound amazing.) , TypeWriter: Logitech  MX800, Clicker: Logitech MX800

Totally Useful Links:

Spoiler

1 hour ago, JohnnyCorporalTech said:

Its me,

No just kidding.

I do not believe he is a full time employee, he just helps out with anything server related. 

Yup, he is their contracted IT guy.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz