Server Room Vlog Series

6 minutes ago, Walms said:

Wait till part 3. Filtering the room, probably not an option at that point.... (also you can see parts 2 and 3 if you join Floatplane)

hmm alright I'll wait and see. The current solution of using what ever that red tape is to tape a filter loosely to the door doesn't seem to be working well. Can already see the dust collecting on everything in the room from the watercooler server build video and its only been about a week since they cleaned it.

https://i.gyazo.com/f9912339985903d08f5342ab2987062b.jpg

https://i.gyazo.com/2a14706164fbe4526fd03aed587dfaff.png

I mean the whole side of the rack is still open.

https://i.gyazo.com/7a250f75b8a7225f87d37b8149841a9e.png

Could make another video out of it and get a whole vent system with a HEPA filter installed.

Can anyone answer something for me RE: "New Whannack/Whannock Server"

So Linus stepped on the power strip right? Which caused Whannack/Whannock server to reboot, as it did the POST checks with the fans etc..

BUT,

Why did it reboot? Is it for some reason not connected to the UPS? Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't it their main production server? Surely it would make a lot of sense to have that on the UPS?

I don't know if I'm missing something or have mistaken the role of Whannack/Whannock server but I think any server needs a UPS connected due to the nature of them and the price etc...

Can anyone shed any light? I'm purely curious.

Kind Regards,

Jack

Don't forget to @me / quote me for a reply =]

Hi Linus,

I want to know how you clean up the server which tool you use for the clean up.

Thanks,

Wiput Pootong

1 hour ago, JackHubbleday said:

-snip-

It is connected to the UPS. However, the power strip comes after the UPS, so turning off the power strip would turn the server off.

The UPS can't control what happens after it.

Long story short, don't use power strips after your UPS...Use power bars without switches, a PDU, or those multi way plug splitters.

Pretty much if the large amount of power strips didn't clue you in on how much of a IT nightmare this server room was, you get the idea now of why you should really plan / keep planning upgrades to a server room.

1 hour ago, JackHubbleday said:

Can anyone shed any light? I'm purely curious.

I would assume its probably hooked up like this. First the Main circuit which the UPS plugs into then a power squid then a surge protector then the server. Main circuit > UPS > Power Squid > Surge Protectors > Servers (other rack gear). Basically its probably not setup as UPS connected directly to the servers. I would assume due to the possible risk of the UPS its self causing some kind of power surge problem and or the need to split the UPS to power multiple servers / switches.

So when he steps on the Stanley power squid switch. https://i.gyazo.com/56095a00c885c92dce8158e0a81fb38c.jpg He lost power to the surge protectors and servers. Think he should be using a rack mounted solution of some kind like this. https://i.gyazo.com/704048f493ecf45943d6027464659621.png That way there isn't cords all over the ground and no switches to accidentally turn off the power supply.

you shouldn't move your security to a VM, get a physical firewall that is business grade. VM firewalls are easier to circumvent.

52 minutes ago, Silverasd said:

I would assume its probably hooked up like this. First the Main circuit which the UPS plugs into then a power squid then a surge protector then the server. Main circuit > UPS > Power Squid > Surge Protectors > Servers (other rack gear). Basically its probably not setup as UPS connected directly to the servers. I would assume due to the possible risk of the UPS its self causing some kind of power surge problem and or the need to split the UPS to power multiple servers / switches.

So when he steps on the Stanley power squid switch. https://i.gyazo.com/56095a00c885c92dce8158e0a81fb38c.jpg He lost power to the surge protectors and servers. Think he should be using a rack mounted solution of some kind like this. https://i.gyazo.com/704048f493ecf45943d6027464659621.png That way there isn't cords all over the ground and no switches to accidentally turn off the power supply.

53 minutes ago, scottyseng said:

It is connected to the UPS. However, the power strip comes after the UPS, so turning off the power strip would turn the server off.

The UPS can't control what happens after it.

Long story short, don't use power strips after your UPS...Use power bars without switches, a PDU, or those multi way plug splitters.

Pretty much if the large amount of power strips didn't clue you in on how much of a IT nightmare this server room was, you get the idea now of why you should really plan / keep planning upgrades to a server room.

Thanks both for that.

I believe if it is setup like this it is inefficient. UPS should plug into server and your switches etc to allow for a graceful shutdown. so yeah you're right. It could be setup a lot better!

Don't forget to @me / quote me for a reply =]

maybe for a forum exclusive. Have a picture of the server rack both front and back and have detail description of every server and switch and cable (cat 5 or cat 6). 

Can somebody clarify? Doesn't the security server has i7 4790? (

)

On 2/24/2017 at 2:17 AM, tlink said:

you shouldn't move your security to a VM, get a physical firewall that is business grade. VM firewalls are easier to circumvent.

It's camera surveillance, not a firewall :)

On 2/24/2017 at 7:30 AM, bindydad123 said:

maybe for a forum exclusive. Have a picture of the server rack both front and back and have detail description of every server and switch and cable (cat 5 or cat 6). 

Can somebody clarify? Doesn't the security server has i7 4790? (

)

Whole rack is running CAT6 now, and I still plan a follow up video showing the roles that all the machines fulfill when we do our "8K workflow" video.

But that won't come until after Petabyte Project gets deployed in a couple weeks.

Linus

On 2/23/2017 at 3:07 PM, TheSnakeyGamer said:

Ok thank you, you have any idea of what PSI I should set it to? Just thinking will something like a camping bed pump work, something that is simple and won't be too expensive if you get me.

Please don't use an air compressor. Air compressors don't dehumidify and can spray drops of water into your pc. We use a product called a DataVac at work, it's an anti static reversable vacuum that can blow out dust but, since it's anti static unlike other vacuums, can also safely suck up stuff in a pc too. Also no moisture drops spitting from the tip when reaching the end of the tank as there is no tank. 

1 minute ago, UpgradeSolution said:

Please don't use an air compressor. Air compressors don't dehumidify and can spray drops of water into your pc. We use a product called a data vac at work, it's an anti static reversable vacuum that can blow out dust but, since it's anti static unlike other vacuums, can also safely suck up stuff in a pc too. Also no moisture drops spitting from the tip when reaching the end of the tank as there is no tank. 

would an air pump (one that uses a fan) work?

Can some one link me the link for the mod mic give away! I was on the point of buying one but if i win one that would be great!

Is this right, when I click the giveaway link it sends me to the product page. 

زندگی از چراغ

Intel Core i7 7800X 6C/12T (4.5GHz), Corsair H150i Pro RGB (360mm), Asus Prime X299-A, Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4X4GB & 2X8GB 3000MHz DDR4), MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G (2.113GHz core & 9.104GHz memory), 1 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB NVMe M.2, 1 Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, 1 Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, 1 WD Red 1TB mechanical drive, Corsair RM750X 80+ Gold fully modular PSU, Corsair Obsidian 750D full tower case, Corsair Glaive RGB mouse, Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 (Cherry MX Red) keyboard, Asus VN247HA (1920x1080 60Hz 16:9), Audio Technica ATH-M20x headphones & Windows 10 Home 64 bit. 

The time Linus replied to me on one of my threads: 

2 hours ago, LinusTech said:

It's camera surveillance, not a firewall :)

oh well than its fine :P 

1 hour ago, TheSnakeyGamer said:

would an air pump (one that uses a fan) work?

It would be much better than using an air compressor, I cringed when I saw an air compressor being used on a server. :/

On 2/23/2017 at 7:29 PM, Oshino Shinobu said:

Can you put a camera in the server room so you can record what happens when the ghetto mounted watercooled server leaks and destroys the $20,000 Petabyte storage server? 

probably security risk, but yeah would be pretty cool lol

11 minutes ago, bobcobble said:

probably security risk, but yeah would be pretty cool lol

There's one in there :P 

1 minute ago, LinusTech said:

There's one in there :P 

Ah yeah, I meant it would probably be a security risk to let it be viewed publicly. 

3 minutes ago, bobcobble said:

Ah yeah, I meant it would probably be a security risk to let it be viewed publicly. 

oh yeah that's not happening.

Now you just need to upgrade the whole network to 10G copper and 40Gig fiber switches because reasons :P 

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

6 minutes ago, LinusTech said:

oh yeah that's not happening.

Yeah didn't think so!

btw really like the server videos and wanted to say thanks for setting up floatplane club after vessel sunk (ayy get it).

On ‎23‎-‎2‎-‎2017 at 11:26 PM, nicklmg said:

Each of the partner products comes in at some point during the 3-part series :)

Ep. 2 should come this weekend, with Ep. 3 coming later next week!

Pretty sure I have seen episode 3 already. No spoilers though. Even if it is the best conclusion ever.

I would love to get some of those orange 3d printed cable combs used in the video. Do you have the 3d model files?

Main Rig: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/58641-the-i7-950s-gots-to-go-updated-104/ | CPU: Intel i7-4930K | GPU: 2x EVGA Geforce GTX Titan SC SLI| MB: EVGA X79 Dark | RAM: 16GB HyperX Beast 2400mhz | SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256gb | HDD: 2x Western Digital Raptors 74gb | EX-H34B Hot Swap Rack | Case: Lian Li PC-D600 | Cooling: H100i | Power Supply: Corsair HX1050 |

Pfsense Build (Repurposed for plex) https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/715459-pfsense-build/