this might be a stupid question

Lilninjsways

my mom's all in one pc was messed up by my douchbag not so step father 5 years back she wants the pictures off of it but it says there's no os installed I'm guess i can't get anything off of it

MY MAIN BUILD AT FATHERS HOUSE!

Spoiler

CPU: AMD FX-8300 3.3GHz 8-Core Processor CPU COOLER:  Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3P ATX AM3+ Motherboard

RAM: 32gb ddr3

Hard Drive:  Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

Graphics Card:  MSI Radeon RX 470 DirectX 12 Radeon RX 470 ARMOR 4G OC 4GB 256-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

Case: Rosewill TYRFING ATX Mid Tower Case

Network Adapter:  TP-Link TL-WN781ND PCI-Express x1 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi Adapter

Case Fans:  Corsair Air Series AF140 Quiet Edition 67.8 CFM 140mm Fan (PLUS THE STOCK CASE FAN)

Monitor:  Asus VG248QE 24.0" 1920x1080 144Hz Monitor

Keyboard:  Thermaltake CHALLENGER PRIME Wired Gaming Keyboard

Mouse:  MSI Interceptor DS B1 Wired Optical Mouse

Speakers: Logitech Z200 0W 2ch Speakers

Remove the drive and connect it to another computer

3 minutes ago, Lilninjsways said:

my mom's all in one pc was messed up by my douchbag not so step father 5 years back she wants the pictures off of it but it says there's no os installed I'm guess i can't get anything off of it

You can boot into a live USB with Ubuntu Linux (easiest to source) and view the contents of the drive from there. Or remove the drive entirely and plug it into another system as a secondary drive and get the data off it that way.

I use Linux to recover data a lot, especially on SD cards that tend to corrupt themselves out of the blue. Linux just seems to handle situations like that much better as Windows Explorer crashes a lot when there is any sort of corruption on the card.

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

Of course, it's possible that the reason it can't find the OS is because the drive is dead, in which case the above techniques won't work and you'll have to take it to a (very expensive) data recovery service to have any luck.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

3 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Of course, it's possible that the reason it can't find the OS is because the drive is dead, in which case the above techniques won't work and you'll have to take it to a (very expensive) data recovery service to have any luck.

ok will do thanks!

7 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

You can boot into a live USB with Ubuntu Linux (easiest to source) and view the contents of the drive from there. Or remove the drive entirely and plug it into another system as a secondary drive and get the data off it that way.

I use Linux to recover data a lot, especially on SD cards that tend to corrupt themselves out of the blue. Linux just seems to handle situations like that much better as Windows Explorer crashes a lot when there is any sort of corruption on the card.

8 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

Spoiler

CPU: AMD FX-8300 3.3GHz 8-Core Processor CPU COOLER:  Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler

Graphics Card:  MSI Radeon RX 470 DirectX 12 Radeon RX 470 ARMOR 4G OC 4GB 256-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

Case Fans:  Corsair Air Series AF140 Quiet Edition 67.8 CFM 140mm Fan (PLUS THE STOCK CASE FAN)

4 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

ok will do thanks!

7 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

8 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

Spoiler

14 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I have encountered drives simply being

disconnected aswell, might want to take

a look, depending on the laptop ofcourse.

23 minutes ago, Lilninjsways said:

My physics lecturer always says the only stupid question is the one you don't ask.

As already mentioned, attach the drive to a different machine, or run Linux off a USB drive. Linux is a bit different from Windows, but it should be easy enough to at least check the drive.

Laptop: Asus GA502DU

RAM: 16GB DDR4 | CPU: Ryzen 3750H | GPU: GTX 1660ti

18 minutes ago, Lilninjsways said:

you can get ubuntu linux onto a usb drive, and the boot from the usb. you can dowload ubintu here:

https://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop

i like trains 🙂