New build and PCIe lanes question

Go to solution Solved by Guest,
5 minutes ago, nct2176 said:

I've already bought the parts, but I'm concerned now that what I'd like to do may not work with the CPU I purchased.  I'm looking to do gaming and content creation affordably, so I went with the following:

2 - Corsair 500GB NVME m.2 

1 - i7 7700k 

1 - 1070 ROG Strix 

1 - Z270E ROG Strix Motherboard 

I'm looking to RAID 0 the M.2 drives using 2x4 lane PCIe, and use the GPU in 8x PCIe.  Since that will be using all the CPU's 16 PCIe lanes, would there be any conflicts with USB's or SATA drives I might add later? I'm not keen on how those work, if at all, with PCIe.

Most Storage devices are wired to the chipset, which also has "lanes" (depends on chipset). There won't be any interferences.

I've already bought the parts, but I'm concerned now that what I'd like to do may not work with the CPU I purchased.  I'm looking to do gaming and content creation affordably, so I went with the following:

1 - i7 7700k 

1 - 1070 ROG Strix 

I'm looking to RAID 0 the M.2 drives using 2x4 lane PCIe, and use the GPU in 8x PCIe.  Since that will be using all the CPU's 16 PCIe lanes, would there be any conflicts with USB's or SATA drives I might add later? I'm not keen on how those work, if at all, with PCIe.

3 minutes ago, nct2176 said:

1 - i7 7700k 

1 - 1070 ROG Strix 

If i'm not wrong, the CPU has reserved pcie lanes for the GPU and the CHIPSET has reserved slots for SATA etc...

So you should be fine. But you should wait for other people to confirm this

, and use the GPU in 8x PCIe.  Since that will be using all the CPU's 16 PCIe lanes, would there be any conflicts with USB's or SATA drives I might add later?

They are not using the CPU's lanes. M.2 drives use the chipset's lanes

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

1 - i7 7700k 

1 - 1070 ROG Strix 

Most Storage devices are wired to the chipset, which also has "lanes" (depends on chipset). There won't be any interferences.

Great! So, I could effectively run the GPU on 16x mode then?

For content creation, wait for Ryzen!

for PCIe lanes, you should be fine.

i7 4790k @4.7 | GTX 1070 Strix | Z97 Sabertooth | 32GB  DDR3 2400 mhz | Intel 750 SSD | Define R5 | Corsair K70 | Steel Series Rival | XB271, 1440p, IPS, 165hz | 5.1 Surround
PC Build

Desk Build

2 minutes ago, CostcoSamples said:

Ryzen doesn't support M.2 Raid...

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

2 minutes ago, CostcoSamples said:

Yeah, I found out the date that Ryzen was releasing 4 hours after I placed my order. :/  Oh well.

1 minute ago, nct2176 said:

Yeah, I found out the date that Ryzen was releasing 4 hours after I placed my order. :/  Oh well.

You should send it back for a refund...

i7 4790k @4.7 | GTX 1070 Strix | Z97 Sabertooth | 32GB  DDR3 2400 mhz | Intel 750 SSD | Define R5 | Corsair K70 | Steel Series Rival | XB271, 1440p, IPS, 165hz | 5.1 Surround
PC Build

Desk Build

2 minutes ago, nct2176 said:

OOOH, well that's good to know!

I think that RAID M.2 drives are supported on some motherboards, but idk if they are running at full speed...

3 minutes ago, CostcoSamples said:

You should send it back for a refund...

OOOH, well that's good to know!

2 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

I think that RAID M.2 drives are supported on some motherboards, but idk if they are running at full speed...

I hadn't really thought about doing it until today.  I haven't actually seen any bechmarks comparing NVME to NVME in RAID 0, so I'm not sure it would make much of a difference.  I was just curious enough to try it.

I hadn't really thought about doing it until today.  I haven't actually seen any bechmarks comparing NVME to NVME in RAID 0, so I'm not sure it would make much of a difference.  I was just curious enough to try it.

And then there's this in the MB's Specs:

1 x M.2_1 Socket 3 with M key, type 2242/2260/2280/21100 storage devices support (both SATA & PCIE 3.0 x 4 mode)*
1 x M.2_2 Socket 3 with M key, type 2242/2260/2280 storage devices support (PCIE 3.0 x 4 mode)**

* The M.2_1 socket shares SATA_1 port when use M.2 SATA mode device. Adjust BIOS settings to use a SATA device.
** The M.2_2 socket shares SATA_56 ports when use M.2 PCIE mode device in X4 mode. Adjust BIOS settings to use SATA devices.

This is what confused me in the first place.

Thanks to all those that responded!