Help building my first NAS

Why so many 1TB drives? The vibrations from a bunch of 7200RPM desktop drives in a tight space will kill them pretty quick. You'd be much better off going for a couple of larger 5400RPM drives. 

I would change the PSU to something decent. The EVGA W1 series is terrible. Take a look at things like Antec EarthWatts Green, Corsair CXM and Seasonic S12II units. 

Use NAS drives for a NAS solution. They are better suited to the environments of a large storage center.

[FS][US] Corsair H115i 280mm AIO-AMD $60+shipping

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

1 minute ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

Why so many 1TB drives? The vibrations from a bunch of 7200RPM desktop drives in a tight space will kill them pretty quick. You'd be much better off going for a couple of larger 5400RPM drives. 

I would change the PSU to something decent. The EVGA W1 series is terrible. Take a look at things like Antec EarthWatts Green, Corsair CXM and Seasonic S12II units. 

I was going to run the drives in a raid 5, would the vibrations not be isolated by the rubber mounting points?

1 minute ago, knightslugger said:

Use NAS drives for a NAS solution.

What would you recommend?

1 minute ago, lloydyseetim said:

WD Reds.

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

Pretty much what others have said. Switch to fewer, larger capacity WD Reds or other NAS oriented 5400RPM drives, and also don't cheap out on the PSU especially if this is going to be always-on, because a higher efficiency rating will actually save you a little money on the power bill at that point.

Lenovo Ideapad 720s 14 inch ------ One day I'll have a desktop again...

i'd suggest getting 3 of these instead of your drive solution, they've been serving me really well.

also, that power supply is a stupid choice. get a quality unit if you care about your data at all.

2 minutes ago, Spork829 said:

and also don't cheap out on the PSU especially if this is going to be always-on, because a higher efficiency rating will actually save you a little money on the power bill at that point.

and not to mention the power supply is the only thing that can single handedly wipe out all hard drives together.

4 minutes ago, lloydyseetim said:

I have had 3 WD Reds in my system for video archives for 5 years, they just work. And they are not expensive. But yes thats what the rubber mounts are for but NAS drives are build to withstand the vibrations and heat of having 4 or 5+ drives in the same system. And enterprise drives are for 8-10+ drives in a single system.

Crosair C70 - i7 4700 - Corsair H100 - Gigabyte Z68 - 16gb HyperX RAM - GTX 780 CLASSIFIED - and An Optical drive

1 minute ago, BigAl Tech said:

I have had 3 WD Reds in my system for video archives for 5 years, they just work. And they are not expensive. But yes thats what the rubber mounts are for but NAS drives are build to withstand the vibrations and heat of having 4 or 5+ drives in the same system. And enterprise drives are for 8-10+ drives in a single system.

i would add to order more drives than you intend to use, that way if one fails you can begin the resilvering process immediately without having to wait for the the manufacturer RMA.

System specs:

Are there any other amendments you might suggest? Do you think that partitioning one drive to act as both cache and the boot drive is wise?