How fragile are monitors?

Petulak

What just happened makes me question everything. I bought 34" 3440x1440 display and decided to try my old 29" 2560x1080 LG 29UB65-P (around $500 new) in portrait mode before buyer comes. Was ok, decided to pack it up since he was on the way, I grab the screen by the plastic border (not touching the panel or anything close to it at all) to turn it back to normal position and the screen cracks? What? I didn't clean the display for 2 years I've had it and there wasn't a single finger print yet the screen cracked when I touched the corner of the monitor, how fragile are those things? Now I'm outta $250 and scared to touch the new $1000 display since there's no way warranty covers that.

I was gonna replay "very" but after reading your post.. thats a little too fragile. Must be that that particular monitor has the glass go well beyond the plastic bezel, and you pinched it at just the right weak point to crack it.

Seems like a series of unfortunate happenings. 

CPU: Amd 7800X3D | GPU: AMD 7900XTX

Yeah, they are fragile but not THAT fragile. When handling monitors I always try let the weight rest on one of my hands at the bottom then guide it from tipping at the top. that way I'm never actually "grabbing" it.

Source: Deal with TONS of TV's, monitors at work.

(Side note: we ordered 10 55inch TVs last year and my co-worker tried picking one up by the side bezels and poked a hole straight through the screen.)

That is part of the reason you should buy matte displays. Glass is glass, it may have suffered from a previous hit (not necessarily by you) and your small pressure finished the job. Yours is definitely an edge case though, I haven't heard of other monitors just cracking when moving them.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

so.. i have a pair of samsung monitors i have quite literally treated like trash trough the years, they got bumped, dropped, tipped over, ...

both still spotless, at least something samsung did right i guess :D

I can punch my VGA monitor from 2003 and it would be fine. SOunds like newer monitors just arnt that sturdy.

Some are brittle, some are like tanks. Most can take a few bumps, provided that they're not to the panel itself.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

It was matte display and I never even touched the front panel side, that's what dissappoints me. Not sure what to expect from my Samsung display now since it's curved and definitely somewhat fragile :|

Keep in mind that each company has different QC standards, Dell has some of the highest whereas some other no-name companies have no QC whatsoever. I would question how hard you were 'grabbing' it, but the corners (even if protected by plastic) are the most fragile points. I usually pick up my monitors by the stand with one hand and only ever touch part of the actual monitor for support unless absolutely necessary. This puts as little stress on any part of the actual monitor as is physically possible while still allowing both hands to support it. 

14 minutes ago, RAM555789 said:

I can punch my VGA monitor from 2003 and it would be fine. SOunds like newer monitors just arnt that sturdy.

I have an old like 2007 LG LCD 1680x1050p that literally survived a drop from the desk once lol

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

1 minute ago, Princess Cadence said:

I have an old like 2007 LG LCD 1680x1050p that literally survived a drop from the desk once lol

Yeah older stuff just seems to hold up very well, or be crazy fragile.

23 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

22 minutes ago, RAM555789 said:

Yeah older stuff just seems to hold up very well, or be crazy fragile.

Enjoying that 1050P res, because it really irritates me not to see YouTube in full screen. That aside, I'm using a PP View monitor that I accidentally hit against the wall when I was moving it, still fine.