GTA V insane stuttering while driving

So I decided to install GTA on my PC. Full specs in my sig. 

Before with my 770 I had 75-80 FPS, now with my 1070 I'm getting average 70 according to CAM. Settings are maxed, and GPU and CPU are pegged. But I stutter like a bitch when driving. Have tried a clean remove and install of the latest Nvidia drivers with DDU. Expected, but my frames drop insanely bad when I'm driving. Walking is fine, biking is fine, but for some freaking reason I drop below 60 and sometimes even below 50 when driving, and it's super annoying. 

What I've tried:

- Turning down the settings (made my FPS drops worse)

- Clean install of the drivers with DDU

- Defragmented the drive that it's on

Possiblities:

- HDD only has 50GB left

- Only 4G RAM showing up in CAM

- Something else? 

idk

Is it installed on a HDD by any chance?  Sounds like exactly what happend when I tried that.

#SSD4Life

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Try reinstalling the ram and see if that fixes it?

not something ive seen, what res? Check your shadows etc in the advanced tab

Ryzen Ram Guide

My Project Logs   Iced Blood    Temporal Snow    Temporal Snow Ryzen Refresh

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

1 minute ago, stealth80 said:

not something ive seen, what res? Check your shadows etc in the advanced tab

2560x1080, highest settings. About to check shadows.

idk

Seriously, it's the HDD.  This is exactly what happened when I had it installed on a HDD.  Move it to an SSD and it will run smoothly

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Seriously, it's the HDD.  This is exactly what happened when I had it installed on a HDD.  Move it to an SSD and it will run smoothly

Really? Maybe my Barra is giving up the ghost after a couple years of being pushed to the edge by me running literally all my games off it.

Will try moving the game to an external 2.5" drive, see if that helps. 

idk

Ah, GTA V.... If it makes you feel better, I see micro-stutters on my gtx 1080. This game never ran "smoothly" for me. From what I've seen, in some occasions you simply can't avoid it. It's also CPU bound.

But the 1070 performing worse than the 770 is weird. Have you tried older drivers? Are your settings in-game exactly what they used to be? High LOD settings can be really messy in large open world games like this.

PS: Running it on a 850 Evo and gtx 1080. Micro stutters. Even tried the 950 pro. Exactly the same.

~ Specs bellow ~

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit [UEFI]
CPU: Intel i7-5820k Haswell-E @ 4.5-4.7Ghz (1.366-1.431V) | CPU COOLER: Corsair H110 280mm AIO w/ 2x Noctua NF-A14 IPPC-2000 IP67 | RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 32Gb (8x4Gb) DDR4 @ 2666mhz CL15 | MOBO: MSI X99S Gaming 7 ATX | GPU: MSI GTX 1080 Gaming (flashed "X") @ 2138-2151Mhz (locked 1.093V) | PSU: Corsair HX850i 850W 80+ Platinum | SSD's: Samsung Pro 950 256Gb & Samsung Evo 850 500Gb | HDD: WD Black Series 6Tb + 3Tb | AUDIO: Realtek ALC1150 HD Audio | CASE: NZXT Phantom 530 | MONITOR: LG 34UC79G 34" 2560x1080p @144hz & BenQ XL2411Z 24" 1080p @144hz | SPEAKERS: Logitech Z-5450 Digital 5.1 Speaker System | HEADSET: Sennheiser GSP 350 | KEYBOARD: Corsair Strafe MX Cherry Red | MOUSE: Razer Deathadder Chroma | UPS: PowerWalker VI 2000 LCD

Mac Pro 2,1 (flashed) OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan 64-bit (NAS, Plex, HTTP Server, Game Servers) [R.I.P]
CPUs: 2x Intel Xeon X5365 @ 3.3Ghz (FSB OC) | RAM: OWC 16Gb (8x2Gb) ECC-FB DDR2 @ 1333mhz | GPU: AMD HD5870 (flashed) | HDDs: WD Black Series 3Tb, 2x WD Black Series 1Tb, WD Blue 2Tb | UPS: Fortron EP1000

2 minutes ago, Droidbot said:

Really? Maybe my Barra is giving up the ghost after a couple years of being pushed to the edge by me running literally all my games off it.

Will try moving the game to an external 2.5" drive, see if that helps. 

Yeah, so long as it's not a 2.5" HDD xD 

You can tell it's not a GPU power issue or config problem since it runs fine while standing still.  If it can render it, it can render it.  Something about moving is causing the problems, and it's the loading that must be done.

27 minutes ago, Droidbot said:

So I decided to install GTA on my PC. Full specs in my sig. 

Before with my 770 I had 75-80 FPS, now with my 1070 I'm getting average 70 according to CAM. Settings are maxed, and GPU and CPU are pegged. But I stutter like a bitch when driving. Have tried a clean remove and install of the latest Nvidia drivers with DDU. Expected, but my frames drop insanely bad when I'm driving. Walking is fine, biking is fine, but for some freaking reason I drop below 60 and sometimes even below 50 when driving, and it's super annoying. 

What I've tried:

- Turning down the settings (made my FPS drops worse)

- Clean install of the drivers with DDU

- Defragmented the drive that it's on

Possiblities:

- HDD only has 50GB left

- Only 4G RAM showing up in CAM

- Something else? 

I think I may know why. The problem you have no easy fix other than buy a core i7.

I'm being deadly serious. GTA V stutters with an Intel core i5 if you get over 160 frames per second. There is no work around other than reducing the framerate or buying a quad core hyperthreaded CPU.

3 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

You can tell it's not a GPU power issue or config problem since it runs fine while standing still.  If it can render it, it can render it.  Something about moving is causing the problems, and it's the loading that must be done.

See above ^^^^

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

This external drive hasn't been used much - it's cold storage for game saves, Windows ISOs, family photos, etc.

Because you never know with an essentially 'tech illiterate' mum what will happen. 

idk

1 minute ago, AluminiumTech said:

I know why. The problem you have had no easy fix other than buy a core i7.

I'm being deadly serious. GTA V stutters with an Intel core i5 if you get over 160 frames per second. There is no work around other than reducing the framerate or buying a quad core hyperthreaded CPU.

When Ryzen5 processors come out, it's gonna be my next upgrade. 

idk

6 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

i have gta installed on an HDD and it runs fine.....

CPU: Intel9-9900k 5.0GHz at 1.36v  | Cooling: Custom Loop | MOTHERBOARD: ASUS ROG Z370 Maximus X Hero | RAM: CORSAIR 32GB DDR4-3200 VENGEANCE PRO RGB  | GPU: Nvidia RTX 2080Ti | PSU: CORSAIR RM850X + Cablemod modflex white cables | BOOT DRIVE: 250GB SSD Samsung 850 evo | STORAGE: 7.75TB | CASE: Fractal Design Define R6 BLackout | Display: SAMSUNG OLED 34 UW | Keyboard: HyperX Alloy elite RGB |  Mouse: Corsair M65 PRO RGB | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Phone: iPhone 11 Pro Max 256GB

1 minute ago, KOMTechAndGaming said:

i have gta installed on an HDD and it runs fine.....

I've heard other people report that, but that doesn't change my experience with it ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

i7 + 1080 and SSD here, infact its on my m.2 XP941, zero issues, now is it cause of hardware or because I have gsync? :/

Ryzen Ram Guide

My Project Logs   Iced Blood    Temporal Snow    Temporal Snow Ryzen Refresh

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

I've heard other people report that, but that doesn't change my experience with it ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

its 5400rpm 2.5" 1tb SSHD :P that is the hottest drive in my system xD

CPU: Intel9-9900k 5.0GHz at 1.36v  | Cooling: Custom Loop | MOTHERBOARD: ASUS ROG Z370 Maximus X Hero | RAM: CORSAIR 32GB DDR4-3200 VENGEANCE PRO RGB  | GPU: Nvidia RTX 2080Ti | PSU: CORSAIR RM850X + Cablemod modflex white cables | BOOT DRIVE: 250GB SSD Samsung 850 evo | STORAGE: 7.75TB | CASE: Fractal Design Define R6 BLackout | Display: SAMSUNG OLED 34 UW | Keyboard: HyperX Alloy elite RGB |  Mouse: Corsair M65 PRO RGB | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Phone: iPhone 11 Pro Max 256GB

2 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

I know why. The problem you have no easy fix other than buy a core i7.

See above ^^^^

Not sure about that, I'm running on a 5820K overclocked to 4.5+ and I still get micro stutters and fps anywhere between 60-150 :/ 

~ Specs bellow ~

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit [UEFI]
CPU: Intel i7-5820k Haswell-E @ 4.5-4.7Ghz (1.366-1.431V) | CPU COOLER: Corsair H110 280mm AIO w/ 2x Noctua NF-A14 IPPC-2000 IP67 | RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 32Gb (8x4Gb) DDR4 @ 2666mhz CL15 | MOBO: MSI X99S Gaming 7 ATX | GPU: MSI GTX 1080 Gaming (flashed "X") @ 2138-2151Mhz (locked 1.093V) | PSU: Corsair HX850i 850W 80+ Platinum | SSD's: Samsung Pro 950 256Gb & Samsung Evo 850 500Gb | HDD: WD Black Series 6Tb + 3Tb | AUDIO: Realtek ALC1150 HD Audio | CASE: NZXT Phantom 530 | MONITOR: LG 34UC79G 34" 2560x1080p @144hz & BenQ XL2411Z 24" 1080p @144hz | SPEAKERS: Logitech Z-5450 Digital 5.1 Speaker System | HEADSET: Sennheiser GSP 350 | KEYBOARD: Corsair Strafe MX Cherry Red | MOUSE: Razer Deathadder Chroma | UPS: PowerWalker VI 2000 LCD

Mac Pro 2,1 (flashed) OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan 64-bit (NAS, Plex, HTTP Server, Game Servers) [R.I.P]
CPUs: 2x Intel Xeon X5365 @ 3.3Ghz (FSB OC) | RAM: OWC 16Gb (8x2Gb) ECC-FB DDR2 @ 1333mhz | GPU: AMD HD5870 (flashed) | HDDs: WD Black Series 3Tb, 2x WD Black Series 1Tb, WD Blue 2Tb | UPS: Fortron EP1000

When Ryzen5 processors come out, it's gonna be my next upgrade. 

It's also possible the RAM + CPU is doing something here.

If you could get your hands on more RAM and then retest is then you'll run your i5 into the ground and continue stuttering as mentioned above.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

When driving, you move through the map very quickly. Many objects have to be loaded in a short amount of time. Since it's an open world, system counts on getting the data of HDD mid game. But what the case usually is, is that data is being preloaded from the HDD to RAM. If you Don't have enought RAM, data must be streamed from the hard drive much more often and less of the enviroment can be stored on RAM. I think that's where the problem lies. System can't preload enough data to RAM since there isn't enough of it. 4gb isn't enough. There might be something wrong with it.

I hope this helps

1 minute ago, Light-Yagami said:

When driving, you move through the map very quickly. Many objects have to be loaded in a short amount of time. Since it's an open world, system counts on getting the data of HDD mid game. But what the case usually is, is that data is being preloaded from the HDD to RAM. If you Don't have enought RAM, data must be streamed from the hard drive much more often and less of the enviroment can be stored on RAM. I think that's where the problem lies. System can't preload enough data to RAM since there isn't enough of it. 4gb isn't enough. There might be something wrong with it.

I hope this helps

Confirmed what I thought, thanks. But I don't have 4GB, I've got 8, but only 4GB appears in CAM. 8GB appears in OS. 

idk

The ideal solution to this would be a 4c/8t CPU + 16GB RAM.

I understand it might not be an easy purchase for many but I think it would be worth it.

1 minute ago, Droidbot said:

Confirmed what I thought, thanks. But I don't have 4GB, I've got 8, but only 4GB appears in CAM. 8GB appears in OS. 

I'm pretty sure VRAM would be used for the map textures when driving so i'm not sure why 8GB would not be enough.

Also, what is "CAM"?

1 minute ago, AluminiumTech said:

I'm pretty sure VRAM would be used for the map textures when driving so i'm not sure why 8GB would not be enough.

Also, what is "CAM"?

NZXT CAM, offers a overlay similar to MSI Afterburner without the BS OC crap that I don't use. 

It's strange because I've been seeing performance decreases over the past week - games like BO3 run fine, but GTA keeps dropping frames, Forza stutters, and loading times are insanely long. Something says it's the HDD to me. 

idk

Maybe one 4gb RAM module doesn't work? 1440p also puts more stress on a system, thus RAM. I don't see any other explanation. Stuttering in GTAV originates from insufficient RAM requirements. Should there be a problem with a weak cpu, average framerate would be lower. If the HDD was the problem, game would load much slower but wouldn't stutter in scenarios you've given. But when you don't have enough RAM, game runs at normal fps until there's new sectors of map to load. It's when you max the RAM that the stuttering starts to happen. Consider looking into it. 

1 minute ago, Light-Yagami said:

Maybe one 4gb RAM module doesn't work? 1440p also puts more stress on a system, thus RAM. I don't see any other explanation. Stuttering in GTAV originates from insufficient RAM requirements. Should there be a problem with a weak cpu, average framerate would be lower. If the HDD was the problem, game would load much slower but wouldn't stutter in scenarios you've given. But when you don't have enough RAM, game runs at normal fps until there's new sectors of map to load. It's when you max the RAM that the stuttering starts to happen. Consider looking into it. 

Considering I'm replacing this architecture soon, I'm not gonna buy more RAM, but I'll again look into it. 

idk