What do Dual Ethernet ports do?

Jacazza

Hey, So I recently bought a new Gigabyte z170 Designare motherboard and noticed that it has 2 Ethernet ports how or will it make the transfer times from my computer to my home internet faster?

One connects to the internet and im assuming the other is connected to a NAS or home server so you dont saturate one line

They don't do much there is a way to use both ports at once. But unless you have a high end Home Server with read write speeds with more than a gigabit speeds.

5 minutes ago, Jacazza said:

Hey, So I recently bought a new Gigabyte z170 Designare motherboard and noticed that it has 2 Ethernet ports how or will it make the transfer times from my computer to my home internet faster?

Unless you have faster than 1 gigabit connection no, the main benefit of dual ethernet is for redundancy, connection to a separate network or trunking if you needed it in your home network. 

I never saw much point on 'consumer' machines, but in the enterprise for for industrial applications, multiple interfaces are very useful for redundancy purposes.  And in some cases, for additional bandwidth, although people needing that capability really ought to be upgrading to 10gig-E.

• 2 weeks later...

its so if your parents Cut one of your ethernet cables you have a second one so you don't lose that competitive match your in #priorities 

The way I've seen it is you can be downloading programs in the background while playing games online with no bandwidth issues or lag.