What should I do with an expensive but dead motherboard?

Go to solution Solved by iRileyx,

I'd personally mount it on my wall above my setup or something. 

Some people have art and pictures, I'll have dead but cool computer hardware. 

I tried to repair a z97s krait SLI with bent pins, but it seems that the board is dead.

Funnily enough when I requested to return it all I mentioned was that there was a plastic RAM clip broken off that was not mentioned in the listing. 

Dude straight up refunded me the full amount and doesn't want a return. For a $0.10 peice of plastic.

Now I have a likely dead expensive board on my hands. There's a pin I'm not so sure is fixed, so there's a possibility it's not dead. But all signs point to it's dead.

Anyways I have a really nice motherboard that's essentially free and I don't know what to do with it.

Don't talk about stale memes.

15 minutes ago, Acorn Eyes said:

I tried to repair a z97s krait SLI with bent pins, but it seems that the board is dead.

Funnily enough when I requested to return it all I mentioned was that there was a plastic RAM clip broken off that was not mentioned in the listing. 

Dude straight up refunded me the full amount and doesn't want a return. For a $0.10 peice of plastic.

Now I have a likely dead expensive board on my hands. There's a pin I'm not so sure is fixed, so there's a possibility it's not dead. But all signs point to it's dead.

Anyways I have a really nice motherboard that's essentially free and I don't know what to do with it.

Resell the parts of the mobo that aren't broken.  You can get a lot more for it this way, as you can sell the individual parts as repair parts.

4 minutes ago, lilbman said:

Resell the parts of the mobo that aren't broken.  You can get a lot more for it this way, as you can sell the individual parts as repair parts.

I think just the 24pin connector and the CPU socket are damaged.

2 minutes ago, Acorn Eyes said:

I think just the 24pin connector and the CPU socket are damaged.

You could sell the IO part of the mobo, assuming you can get it off without damaging it.

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

This is a curse. I also accidentally bent some pins on the same mobo a couple of months ago and I wasn't able to repair them. It still lies in its box, under many other boxes. I might need to do something with it if it's possible to resell the parts 

CPU : i7 8700k @5GHz, GPU : ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX, RAM : 2x8Go 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance, MB : ASUS Prime Z370-A, PSU : CM V850, Case :  NZXT S340, CPU Cooler : NZXT Kraken x62, Monitor : Acer Predator XB271HU 27" 1440p 165Hz, OS : Windows 10 Home 64 bits  

1 minute ago, roylapoutre said:

This is a curse. I also accidentally bent some pins on the same mobo a couple of months ago and I wasn't able to repair them. It still lies in its box, under many other boxes. I might need to do something with it if it's possible to resell the parts 

I didn't bend them, I bought it for incredibly cheap because they were bent.

2 minutes ago, Acorn Eyes said:

I didn't bend them, I bought it for incredibly cheap because they were bent.

Yeah I know, I was just pointing out that the same mobo had the same tragic destiny :( 

5 minutes ago, RKRiley said:

This is actually pretty awesome but you'd need an abnormal amount of dead parts to cover a wall :D 

CPU : i7 8700k @5GHz, GPU : ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX, RAM : 2x8Go 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance, MB : ASUS Prime Z370-A, PSU : CM V850, Case :  NZXT S340, CPU Cooler : NZXT Kraken x62, Monitor : Acer Predator XB271HU 27" 1440p 165Hz, OS : Windows 10 Home 64 bits  

1 minute ago, roylapoutre said:

Yeah I know, I was just pointing out that the same mobo had the same tragic destiny :( 

This is actually pretty awesome but you'd need an abnormal amount of dead parts to cover a wall :D 

Just think of the unique wall decor tho.

Maybe you can luck out and get mislabeled listings on a ton of beautiful parts.

throw it on ebay for parts. put it for like 20% under what they retail for and best offer.
I sell stuff like that all the time. like I found a iphone 5s that was smashed to pieces a year ago in a dumpster as I was taking my trash out. got like $40 for it.

continuing on that thought process I have a big storage tote that I keep in my closet. everything goes on ebay for 30 days at 10% off whatever ebay is currently selling it for. If it doesn't sell I put it on for another week at shipping plus like $10 or something small. 95% of things I would toss are sold. even stupid things like used stamps. I seriously sold 10 oz of stamps (like 3 months of junk mail) for $15.
I usually recoup like 10-15% of my income every year by doing this stupid stuff

I have an ASUS Maximus VII Hero mobo that has 2 ram slots that aren't working. Never got around to figuring out how to fix it or what to do with it. 

I think the best bet is to sell it on eBay or Craigslist or something for parts. At least get something for it.

CPU: Intel Core i7 7820X Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H110i GTX Mobo: MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 (3000MHz/16GB 2x8) SSD: 2x Samsung 850 Evo (250/250GB) + Samsung 850 Pro (512GB) GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE (W/ EVGA Hybrid Kit) Case: Corsair Graphite Series 760T (Black) PSU: SeaSonic Platinum Series (860W) Monitor: Acer Predator XB241YU (165Hz / G-Sync) Fan Controller: NZXT Sentry Mix 2 Case Fans: Intake - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Radiator - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Rear Exhaust - 1x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM