Is this normal +12V value

5traX

Hello everyone!

I'd like to ask a question about my PSU and +12V rail value that it's showing, I don't think it's a problem but it's bugging me that I can't take my mind off of it.

I am using HWiNFO64 to check my +12V value, and when I'm browsing or doing low power stuff, it stays on 12.288V, but when I get into gaming, after like 20 minutes it'd just stay on about 1.7V while lowest it has reached was 1.6V.

How bad is this, or is it bad at all? What would happen if it got down even lower and what is the safe range?

The reason I think it's not a problem is because I'm using GTX 1050 non-Ti, which has a very low power consumption, and using an i7-2600 with 8GB DDR3, all of that on a 550w PSU, which is not some high tier quality, it's 550w Spire Silver, but I think it's even plenty for specs I have, and yet It's still bugging me if these are normal +12V values.

Thank you for your time reading through this post, I hope that I'll get my answer quickly.

Best wishes,

5traX.

10 minutes ago, 5traX said:

-SNIP-

Welcome to the Forums!

That would be within spec but not the best theses days, however take it with a grain of salt as software measurements aren't accurate. You will need to take a multi-meter to get proper measurements but with that PSU, I wouldn't exactly trust it. 

13 minutes ago, W-L said:

Welcome to the Forums!

That would be within spec but not the best theses days, however take it with a grain of salt as software measurements aren't accurate. You will need to take a multi-meter to get proper measurements but with that PSU, I wouldn't exactly trust it. 

Thanks for the quick answer, I thought about using this PSU for about a year more, is it a good idea?

EDIT: I've used R9 280x a few weeks ago on this PSU and it gave me a bit lower values on +12V, but mostly between 11.5V and 11.7V on R9 280x, and that's a very power consuming GPU.

3 minutes ago, 5traX said:

Thanks for the quick answer, I thought about using this PSU for about a year more, is it a good idea?

Hard to say what can happen but it would be a good idea to replace it as it's not a really known brand.