Keyboard question?

Guest lilbman

I love my Alienware 15 R3's keyboard.  Does anyone that has this particular laptop know of a keyboard that is very close to it?  I love everything about it, and, to be honest, I'd rather use my laptops keyboard than my K95 RGB.

2 minutes ago, lilbman said:

Do you yourself have a 15 R3?  I don't want to buy it and it not be what I wanted.

The Apex is a standard membrane keyboard, same as a laptop one. Its keys are slightly taller, with a little more travel. Personally, I find them a little less clicky and slightly mushy.  But that's very personal, and you may love it, it's certainly more gamer looking than my suggestion, if that matters.

Laptop: Asus GA502DU

RAM: 16GB DDR4 | CPU: Ryzen 3750H | GPU: GTX 1660ti

1 minute ago, lilbman said:

Do you yourself have a 15 R3?  I don't want to buy it and it not be what I wanted.

What you are describing a membrane and switches and no I do not have one due to the fact I do not have money to blow on an overpriced laptop Trying to find something with membrane switches from high-quality brand

1 minute ago, emtproject said:

What you are describing a membrane and switches and no I do not have one due to the fact I do not have money to blow on an overpriced laptop Trying to find something with membrane switches from high-quality brand

Membrane != chiclet

Chiclet keys are flat, very low profile and quite clicky, although they do use a rubber membrane. Your suggestion is likely to feel a little different given the greater travel and reduced clickiness, but OP may still enjoy it very much.

@lilbman Your best bet is to try out as many as possible.

@emtproject 'overpriced laptop'- *triggered*, 

Jk-thank you for the recommendations

1 minute ago, lilbman said:

*triggered*

Jk-thank you for the recommendations

Hey now, I'm not the one who said it :P 

1 minute ago, Rangaman42 said:

Hey now, I'm not the one who said it :P 

Oh, I was trying to quote the other dude

sorryxD

5 minutes ago, emtproject said:

*triggered*

*even more triggered*

My laptop isn't as overpriced as, say, a Macbook

*even more triggered*

My laptop isn't as overpriced as, say, a Macbook

I'd say about equal, as neither are truly overprices. For the MacBook, you get exceptional build quality, great design, awesome trackpad/keyboard, great screen and MacOS (which I like), but you give up top notch specs and upgradeability.

Your Alienware is more powerful, and will perform really nicely for gaming, and stay cool and reasonably quiet, but is not exactly professional looking, it's thick, heavy and plasticky feeling. 

No device is perfect, and just saying something is "overpriced" because it doesn't meet your use case is childish. 

For example, I don't game on a laptop, I just want a light productivity device that looks and feels top notch. So a MacBook, or similar, is a good buy. You game more, and are more interested in performance over the styling, so a MacBook is wasted money for you.

6 minutes ago, Rangaman42 said:

I'd say about equal, as neither are truly overprices. For the MacBook, you get exceptional build quality, great design, awesome trackpad/keyboard, great screen and MacOS (which I like), but you give up top notch specs and upgradeability.

Your Alienware is more powerful, and will perform really nicely for gaming, and stay cool and reasonably quiet, but is not exactly professional looking, it's thick, heavy and plasticky feeling. 

No device is perfect, and just saying something is "overpriced" because it doesn't meet your use case is childish. 

For example, I don't game on a laptop, I just want a light productivity device that looks and feels top notch. So a MacBook, or similar, is a good buy. You game more, and are more interested in performance over the styling, so a MacBook is wasted money for you.

*triggered* How dare you be sensible right now

2 minutes ago, Rangaman42 said:

I really don't want to fill this thread up with debate.  I hate it when that happens.

I agree with you.  No one had ever made that point before.  Yes, that was childish of me.

I would use a Mac because lawyers(like me) and the like would generally use an XPS or Macbook Pro.  Only reason I use an Alienware is because I do some CAD stuff for my brother's company on the side and I play Civ 5 against some of the other people in the firm.  Yes, they're thick and heavy(not as thick as they used to be), but they're not really plasticky anymore.  My son's old M17x was a plasticky mofo, but they switched to aluminum once they updated the design.

I really don't want to fill this thread up with debate.  I hate it when that happens.

I agree with you.  No one had ever made that point before.  Yes, that was childish of me.

I would use a Mac because lawyers(like me) and the like would generally use an XPS or Macbook Pro.  Only reason I use an Alienware is because I do some CAD stuff for my brother's company on the side and I play Civ 5 against some of the other people in the firm.  Yes, they're thick and heavy(not as thick as they used to be), but they're not really plasticky anymore.  My son's old M17x was a plasticky mofo, but they switched to aluminum once they updated the design.

This whole thing was meant to be a joke

3 minutes ago, emtproject said:

This whole thing was meant to be a joke

Sure didn't sound like a joke to me