Soundcard vs Motherboard audio

hazen10

Hello everyone, just finished ordering the Beyerdynamic DT990 PRO 250Ohms and now i have a doubt...

I'm running a Gigabyte Z97X Gaming 7 motherboard that claims to have premium audio, built in amp and support for up to 600Omhs headphones, and on the other side i have a Asus Xonar DG , that supports up to 150Ohms..

Which one would be better to plug the DT990s? The mobo can power them better but maybe the Xonar has better audio quality

Sorry if this is a stupid question, i barely know anything about sound, Thanks!

From gigabyte's page : Specially designed for gamers, GIGABYTE motherboards utilize a high-capacity amplifier which is able to drive 600Ω loads, giving gamers a fuller range of dynamic sound with crisper details and less distortion when using high quality professional headphones.

Dedicated Audio Hardware Zone
+ Separation on the PCB layer protects the board's sensitive analog audio components.
+ Separate analog and digital ground to protect against Electromagnetic Interference (EMI).

Also, the connectors are gold plated , and they use high-end japanese Nichicon capacitors.

1 minute ago, That_PC_Kid said:

I hope these videos will help you as I cannot:

I'll see them , thanks!

simple. Use whatever you think sounds best.

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

They're basically comparable, sonically. Use whichever one offers the best features, convenience, and sounds best to YOU.

55 minutes ago, That_PC_Kid said:

While well-meaning, these videos are nearly useless to anyone concerned with getting maximum fidelity.

Then looks like i'll wait until my headphones arrive and test by myself, thanks people!

57 minutes ago, hazen10 said:

Which one would be better to plug the DT990s? The mobo can power them better but maybe the Xonar has better audio quality

Seeing as you already have both, try them and use which sounds better to you.

For a better resource than the LTT videos, look at the pinned thread for amp and DAC recommendations. The long and the short of it is, if you aren't getting the volume from your headphones you want then get an amp, if you're having issues with audio quality then try an external DAC.

57 minutes ago, That_PC_Kid said:

Can we stop using LTT videos about audio, they aren't helpful.

If you can't help, pass over it.