Just a little FedEx rant

puttdawgalicious

So I've been waiting on a part for about a week and a half, and its the only part needed to finish my amazing new setup - my power supply. It's being delivered my FedEx. So, I check my tracker this morning, and (right now it's 3:20 in the afternoon - eastern time) it says that at 11:31 last night it was shipped from a FedEx depot an hour and a half away, and that was when it actually started moving on the truck. Now, I get that the truck has other rounds to make, but it's been almost 16 hours... Just a little rant, that's all

1 hour ago, puttdawgalicious said:

So I've been waiting on a part for about a week and a half, and its the only part needed to finish my amazing new setup - my power supply. It's being delivered my FedEx. So, I check my tracker this morning, and (right now it's 3:20 in the afternoon - eastern time) it says that at 11:31 last night it was shipped from a FedEx depot an hour and a half away, and that was when it actually started moving on the truck. Now, I get that the truck has other rounds to make, but it's been almost 16 hours... Just a little rant, that's all

Is that depot in another city? Do you live in the city or out in rural country?

Most likely it'll be transferred to a local facility before it gets on the final truck. When it's on it's way, the status should say "out for delivery", or something similar.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Be nice to your Delivery drivers and they will nice to you.

I know all 5 FedEx Delivery drivers by name in my area. I give them free drinks and snacks, let them use my bathroom, make friendly convo. My boxes always get handed to me, never left on my front door, never had a package stolen, and they take my returns without a return label on them. They go out of their way to print them off for me. I've also had them affix the return label for me when I ran out of tape.

I7-7700k@5.1ghz + 1080ti @ 2050mhz + 32gbs Ram + 2TB SSD = CSGO

i7-6700k@4.9ghz + 980ti @ 1501mhz + 16gbs Ram + 1 TB SSD = Backup

i7-3770k@4.8ghz + 680 4gb + 32gbs Ram + 500gb SSD = Retired/Office work

Agree on the be nice to your drivers part. Here in New York, Fedex is far more reliable compared to USPS, UPS, and especially Lasership.. 

In my experience, fedex is slow as shit. I avoid buying things that ship via fedex whenever possible.

i7 2600k @ 5GHz 1.49v - EVGA GTX 1070 ACX 3.0 - 16GB DDR3 2000MHz Corsair Vengence

Asus p8z77-v lk - 480GB Samsung 870 EVO w/ W10 LTSC - 2x1TB HDD storage - 240GB SATA SSD w/ W7 - EVGA 650w 80+G G2

3x 1080p 60hz Viewsonic LCDs, 1 glorious Dell CRT running at anywhere from 60hz to 120hz

Model M w/ Soarer's adapter - Logitch g502 - Audio-Techinca M20X - Cambridge SoundWorks speakers w/ woofer

Please be nice to us drivers. We are only able to move so fast. Plus with all to DOT laws it's even tougher. 

I feel for you though but as long as your package arrives safely your good. I should know as I am out of work right now due to being hit by a drunk driver on my way back to my depot after doing deliveries for 10 hours. 

Current Build

AMD Ryzen 2600

Stock cooler

Asus ROG B450f gaming Mobo

1tb SKHynix m.2

WD 1TB HDD

Asus ROG Strix RX 5700xt

Thermaltake Toughpower 650w DPS RGB 80+Gold

16 Gigs ddr4 3000 gskill ram

Phantek fans

Phanteks P400TG

Laptop

Eluktronics Prometheus XVII

Ryzen 7 5800h

32 gigs ddr4 Corsair ram

Nvidia rtx 3080 max-p

17.3 qhd 165 hrz screen

1tb Samsung m.2

1tb WD black m.2

9 hours ago, puttdawgalicious said:

Purolator is the junk delivery service here, they have a 1.7 out 5 star rating on google for my city.  When I ordered all my PC parts for my PC they left them all at the door in front of my house in the middle of the winter when it was at the coldest part of our winter (jan/feb usually -20c to -40c), lucky my AiO didn't freeze up or someone run off with them.  It gotten a bit better over the years but I avoid them whenever possible.

Case - Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 : Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Gene : PSU - Corsair AX760 : CPU - Intel i7 4790k w/ EK-Supremacy EVO Copper/Acetal Water Block  : Memory - Corsair Vengence Pro 24gb 1600mhz : GPU - Evga GTX 780 Ti Classified w/ EK-FC780 GTX Classy - Acetal+Nickel Water Block : Storage - Samsung 840 Evo 250gb & 850 Evo 1tb SSDs, 2x 6TB External HDDs : Fans - 5x Noctua NF-F12 & 1x NF-S12A : Display - 24in Benq XL2420TE : Rads - Darkside LPX360 & LP240 : Pump/Res - EK-XRES 140 D5 Vario Pump

DHL had the audacity to charge me $40 in duties and taxes on a product I redeemed from Cathay Pacific that costs around 30 bucks. I told the guy I'm not paying that and they came back the next day with "reduced taxes". Pretty sure duties and taxes are set by Government of Canada during importation and even on their website it shouldn't be much higher than the current sales tax get everyday (~12%).

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

4 hours ago, Zusafek said:

Please be nice to us drivers. We are only able to move so fast. Plus with all to DOT laws it's even tougher. 

I feel for you though but as long as your package arrives safely your good. I should know as I am out of work right now due to being hit by a drunk driver on my way back to my depot after doing deliveries for 10 hours. 

I understand, and I do respect almost all FedEx drivers (except for the ones who don't care about their job), and I was not trying to "call out" any drivers. It was more for being against all the things that FedEx has to do to just deliver some random package that's an hour and a half away, but with their processes and such, it takes over 24 hours now. No harm meant :)

A week an a half isn't too bad. It can definitely be frustrating when parts don't arrive when you expect it, that's for sure. I used to run into situations like that where I would order something like a guitar part and it would sit at a sorting facility in my city for a day or two before its actually 'out for delivery'.

So yeah, what I do now is I only get excited when I see 'out for delivery' and I usually add a week to my expectations so I don't stress myself out waiting. 

It'll come soon though man, good luck with your new setup!

10 hours ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

DHL had the audacity to charge me $40 in duties and taxes on a product I redeemed from Cathay Pacific that costs around 30 bucks. I told the guy I'm not paying that and they came back the next day with "reduced taxes". Pretty sure duties and taxes are set by Government of Canada during importation and even on their website it shouldn't be much higher than the current sales tax get everyday (~12%).

Duty and Import Taxes are different things. The Import Tax is whatever your provincial PST + GST or HST rate is. Duty fees can be higher - these are special import taxes applied to certain categories and do not apply the same to everything.

Also, many courier services (FedEx, UPS, DHL, etc) will charge a "Customs Brokerage Fee", which is essentially them charging you for doing all the import paperwork for you. USPS/CanadaPost does not charge a Brokerage fee, but any applicable import/duty fees will be the same regardless of courier chosen.

Unless they're straight up scamming you. If so, report them to the authorities.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

1 hour ago, dalekphalm said:

Duty and Import Taxes are different things. The Import Tax is whatever your provincial PST + GST or HST rate is. Duty fees can be higher - these are special import taxes applied to certain categories and do not apply the same to everything.

Also, many courier services (FedEx, UPS, DHL, etc) will charge a "Customs Brokerage Fee", which is essentially them charging you for doing all the import paperwork for you. USPS/CanadaPost does not charge a Brokerage fee, but any applicable import/duty fees will be the same regardless of courier chosen.

Unless they're straight up scamming you. If so, report them to the authorities.

I see. Well, this is what I found on their website:

$10.50 Processing Fee: Applied when DHL has acted as broker and advanced the payment of duties and taxes directly to Canada Border Services Agency on your behalf.

$4.25 Transaction Fee: To advance the continued maintenance of the handheld payment devices used by DHL couriers, and the payment website that allows DHL customers to pay their brokerage invoices online.

So that still leaves around $25 that isn't explained. I don't expect duties to be that high on a product that was worth ~$30 CAD. It was a small model of an a340 from Cathay Pacific. Does it sound a bit fishy?

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 

21 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

I see. Well, this is what I found on their website:

$10.50 Processing Fee: Applied when DHL has acted as broker and advanced the payment of duties and taxes directly to Canada Border Services Agency on your behalf.

$4.25 Transaction Fee: To advance the continued maintenance of the handheld payment devices used by DHL couriers, and the payment website that allows DHL customers to pay their brokerage invoices online.

So that still leaves around $25 that isn't explained. I don't expect duties to be that high on a product that was worth ~$30 CAD. It was a small model of an a340 from Cathay Pacific. Does it sound a bit fishy?

I would contact DHL directly and ask them to break down the charges.

Furthermore, upon delivery, you should have gotten a waybill with all the import fees clearly shown, per line, with a cost for each one, explaining everything.

It's possible the sender put the package value at higher than $30 for insurance reasons? (Which would of course be fraud)

5 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

I would contact DHL directly and ask them to break down the charges.

Furthermore, upon delivery, you should have gotten a waybill with all the import fees clearly shown, per line, with a cost for each one, explaining everything.

It's possible the sender put the package value at higher than $30 for insurance reasons? (Which would of course be fraud)

I don't know. That was two years ago and I've since refused the package and had it returned to Cathay Pacific. Only cost me some Asia Miles so whatever. Don't think I ever got a waybill. Only got a slip that said I had to pay 40 bucks in order to release the package. No break down whatsoever. Was pretty hard to contact DHL because for whatever reason, whenever I tried to contact the office at YVR, it was just a robot that regurgitated the limited information already on their website. At no point was I given the option of talking to a representative directly.

2 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

I don't know. That was two years ago and I've since refused the package and had it returned to Cathay Pacific. Only cost me some Asia Miles so whatever. Don't think I ever got a waybill. Only got a slip that said I had to pay 40 bucks in order to release the package. No break down whatsoever. Was pretty hard to contact DHL because for whatever reason, whenever I tried to contact the office at YVR, it was just a robot that regurgitated the limited information already on their website. At no point was I given the option of talking to a representative directly.

Did you try to contact their local warehouse/sort facility? They usually have a little tiny store-front in them.

All I can tell you is that we got a package from DHL on Tuesday at work that had fees owing (Just taxes, in our case), and we had a detailed waybill breaking it down. This paper was inside the little plastic envelope that also held the packing slip.

1 minute ago, dalekphalm said:

Did you try to contact their local warehouse/sort facility? They usually have a little tiny store-front in them.

All I can tell you is that we got a package from DHL on Tuesday at work that had fees owing (Just taxes, in our case), and we had a detailed waybill breaking it down. This paper was inside the little plastic envelope that also held the packing slip.

That's probably why I never saw it then. The guy wouldn't even let us touch the package until we paid the fee. I that that is who I contacted since it was the only 604 number on their site.

3 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

That's probably why I never saw it then. The guy wouldn't even let us touch the package until we paid the fee. I that that is who I contacted since it was the only 604 number on their site.

There should have been a toll-free 1-8xx style number listed as well, that would put you through to general customer support. They could have answered the question as well.

16 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

There should have been a toll-free 1-8xx style number listed as well, that would put you through to general customer support. They could have answered the question as well.

Welp, now I know. Either way, my first experience with DHL has been anything but smooth sailing.

A week and a half? I live right outside of Atlanta and I never wait longer then 3 days for anything I order. Like 3 is the longest tops. Even when it's 4-7 day shipping.

GPU: XFX RX 7900 XTX

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D

22 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

Welp, now I know. Either way, my first experience with DHL has been anything but smooth sailing.

DHL in Canada is pretty trash, from most people's anecdotal experiences that have been shared with me.

My fiancee had a terrible time with them when she ordered some vintage dresses online. She lived in an apartment building at the time, and waited in the lobby all day on the delivery date, and they claimed that "no one was home", when in fact they never even tried to deliver it. We ended up having to drive out to their warehouse, which was out in the industrial district of town, near no bus stops or anything. She doesn't have a car, so it was lucky that I was available to give her a ride.

14 hours ago, Zusafek said:

It's not even the driver's fault in my experiences. Whenever I buy something that ships via USPS and it arrives in my city, I know for sure I'm getting it the next day, or even the same day. Whenever something comes Fedex, it's a few days from the time it gets to my city to the time it gets to my door. WHY THE HOLDUP?!?!?!

But yeah, you drivers are cool. Not your fault.

i7 2600k @ 5GHz 1.49v - EVGA GTX 1070 ACX 3.0 - 16GB DDR3 2000MHz Corsair Vengence

Asus p8z77-v lk - 480GB Samsung 870 EVO w/ W10 LTSC - 2x1TB HDD storage - 240GB SATA SSD w/ W7 - EVGA 650w 80+G G2

3x 1080p 60hz Viewsonic LCDs, 1 glorious Dell CRT running at anywhere from 60hz to 120hz

Model M w/ Soarer's adapter - Logitch g502 - Audio-Techinca M20X - Cambridge SoundWorks speakers w/ woofer